• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Meteoric Rise

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought this thread was about the high contact free kick against Pickett to Mitch Flogginson, which I thought was insufficient force to warrant a free kick. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Last edited:

tigs2010

๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Or, could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Bolton on the wing for the Brisbane player moving on the mark just moments before?

Great question.
Or Gardiner moving off the mark to bump Lynch when Bolton marked 40 out on the boundary.

TheOptimum18

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Is it just me, or could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Brisbane in the last minute because Cumberland came off the mark to spoil Gardiner's kick, which then resulted in Lynch's goal?

The issue with this is that the umpire never shouted STAND, which pretty much means Cumberland can move as much as he wants as long as it's not towards Gardiner.

Gardiner marks the ball, and Cumberland does what every play should do and try and tackle Gardiner if umpire doesn't pay the mark. Once Cumberland realises the umpire pays the mark, he immediately releases Gardiner, and moves laterally with Gardiner. Gardiner then goes to kick, and Cumberland attempts the smother to his side, not really moving off his mark, and at no point with the umpire calling STAND. Very difficult to pay the 50m in that scenario.

It would be the same reason why Ah Chee wasn't penalised a 50m when he took a step off the mark after Bolton took the mark with about 2.30 left in the game.

Last edited:

SplintWhisky

Premiership Player
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Is it just me, or could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Brisbane in the last minute because Cumberland came off the mark to spoil Gardiner's kick, which then resulted in Lynch's goal?
The Stand rule only applies if the umpire calls "Stand". The last few weeks there have been some times when the ump just clear forgot, the crowd asks for the 50 and then the ump pulls the player to the "outside 5" position.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
In every game I've ever watched, there's probably a dozen or so isolated incidents that you could pick apart and argue it might have been the wrong call or there might have been a call missed by the umpires.

I'm just looking for the threads on every single game ever to pick each one apart but can't seem to find them?

HappyHawk_1

Rookie
Oct 2, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Based on every umpiring decision this year - that is absolutely not a free kick and tbh, it was absolutely a dive/exaggeration from Balta...

SunshineBoy

๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ†
Jan 3, 2012
In Covid Free wilderness
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
And your thoughts on the action that saw Cumberland tackled, taken to the ground, get up then kick a goal?
If that wasn't paid holding the ball we'll never see HTB ever paid again
Rent free