Umpiring Richmond v Brisbane Umpiring and THAT Free Kick

Was that a legitimate free kick?

• Yes

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I won't argue with you mate as you're clearly an objective observer of the incident in question without an axe to grind. :D

Warms my utensil to think a Crows fan re-watched that belting with tears flowing down their cheeks. šŸ˜

Is it just me, or could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Brisbane in the last minute because Cumberland came off the mark to spoil Gardiner's kick, which then resulted in Lynch's goal?

The issue with this is that the umpire never shouted STAND, which pretty much means Cumberland can move as much as he wants as long as it's not towards Gardiner.

Gardiner marks the ball, and Cumberland does what every play should do and try and tackle Gardiner if umpire doesn't pay the mark. Once Cumberland realises the umpire pays the mark, he immediately releases Gardiner, and moves laterally with Gardiner. Gardiner then goes to kick, and Cumberland attempts the smother to his side, not really moving off his mark, and at no point with the umpire calling STAND. Very difficult to pay the 50m in that scenario.

It would be the same reason why Ah Chee wasn't penalised a 50m when he took a step off the mark after Bolton took the mark with about 2.30 left in the game.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Brisbane in the last minute because Cumberland came off the mark to spoil Gardiner's kick, which then resulted in Lynch's goal?
The Stand rule only applies if the umpire calls "Stand". The last few weeks there have been some times when the ump just clear forgot, the crowd asks for the 50 and then the ump pulls the player to the "outside 5" position.

In every game I've ever watched, there's probably a dozen or so isolated incidents that you could pick apart and argue it might have been the wrong call or there might have been a call missed by the umpires.

I'm just looking for the threads on every single game ever to pick each one apart but can't seem to find them?

Based on every umpiring decision this year - that is absolutely not a free kick and tbh, it was absolutely a dive/exaggeration from Balta...

And your thoughts on the action that saw Cumberland tackled, taken to the ground, get up then kick a goal?
If that wasn't paid holding the ball we'll never see HTB ever paid again
Rent free

Back