Game Day Richmond v Essendon Qualifying Final Punt Road Oval Saturday 31/8 2.10pm

The Richmond VFL side hosts Essendon at Punt Road Oval on Saturday at 2.10pm.

For those interested in attending tickets go on sale from midday tomorrow via https://vfl.com.au/finals/

Given the AFL boys are at the Gabba for the first final lets pack out Punt Road and get the VFL boys over the line.

Remember this mob knocked us out of the VFL finals last year so it's redemption time.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Excuse my lack of knowledge on going to VFL but...

Will we be able to get in on the day without buying tickets during the week.

Has a VFL final ever been a sellout. I would expect this Saturdays game to a pretty popular place to be.

particularly as this is only chance of Essendon seeing their side win a final.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Excuse my lack of knowledge on going to VFL but...

Will we be able to get in on the day without buying tickets during the week.

Has a VFL final ever been a sellout. I would expect this Saturdays game to a pretty popular place to be.

particularly as this is only chance of Essendon seeing their side win a final.
Could be a sell out as I remember when we played Williamstown last year people complained they were sent home packing. That was an inaugural night match.
I’m not sure if it was bc they didn’t purchase tickets prior or whether it was a sell out as I didn’t ask.

The Richmond VFL side hosts Essendon at Punt Road Oval on Saturday at 2.10pm.

For those interested in attending tickets go on sale from midday tomorrow via https://vfl.com.au/finals/

Given the AFL boys are at the Gabba for the first final lets pack out Punt Road and get the VFL boys over the line.

Remember this mob knocked us out of the VFL finals last year so it's redemption time.

Um, am I missing something RT. VFL play this weekend and our AFL boys have weekend off (from games) and play the following week? Or are you simply saying the AFL boys have flown up a week early to acclimatize?

Um, am I missing something RT. VFL play this weekend and our AFL boys have weekend off (from games) and play the following week? Or are you simply saying the AFL boys have flown up a week early to acclimatize?
I'm just saying that given we won't be able to get to watch the AFL side play because they are heading to Brisbane let's pack Punt Rd for the VFL side.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Could be a sell out as I remember when we played Williamstown last year people complained they were sent home packing. That was an inaugural night match.
I’m not sure if it was bc they didn’t purchase tickets prior or whether it was a sell out as I didn’t ask.

Thanks for that. I thought it was a stupid question that it could be a sellout but if HAS happened before it could certainly happen this weekend.

Selected side for the first final

B: 43. D. Eggmolesse-Smith, 42. R. Garthwaite, 50. M. Pickett

HB: 33. K. Mcintosh, 38. N. Balta, 45. P. Naish

C: 37. C. Menadue, 26. R. Collier-Dawkins, 28. F. Turner

HF: 39. J. Aarts, 40. C. Coleman-Jones, 21. J. Townsend

F: 31. O. Markov, 25. T. Nankervis, 36. C. Moore

R: 41. M. Chol, 27. J. Ross, 7. D. Butler

Int: 54. J. Ballard, 53. H. Beasley, 78. D. Coffield, 32. L. English,

46. B. Miller
, 51. S. Morris, 64. T. Silvestro, 16. M. Weller

23P: 55. L. Street

21 AFL listed players running around including Balta and Chol which suggests a bit of a showdown as to who will get the spot in the AFL side for the final. Nankervis at FF would suggest that he is little chance of lining up next week for the AFL. Surely they would want to test his ability to handle the rigours of rucking if they were going to play him at AFL level.

FWIW here is the Bummer line up

B: 49. M. Dea, 36. M. Hartley, 41. B. McNiece

HB: 76. B. Laguda, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher, 50. J. Tynan

C: 24. J. Houlahan, 39. T. Mynott, 34. J. Long

HF: 70. L. Mckenna, 73. D. Guccione, 55. D. Younan

F: 75. K. Aylett, 16. J. Begley, 12. M. Baguley

R: 74. R. Bowman, 40. W. Snelling, 23. D. Myers

Int: 68. N. Dixon, 59. A. Heppell, 77. H. Hocking, 56. D. Landt, 62. N. Lazzaro,

57. D. Marshall, 65. E. Sibbald, 72. T. Smith

23P: 54. M. Day

Last edited:
Begley and Hartley for the Bombers played in Rd 23 as well.
Interesting some media reports suggesting if you played r23 seniors you were unable to play reserves this weekend. Obviously wrong if Balta has been named.
I believe in the qualification for VFL finals there are clauses that state that if the AFL side is playing in finals as well then the clauses relating to playing in R23 don't apply as players would obviously need to prove or maintain fitness for the following weeks AFL final

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe in the qualification for VFL finals there are clauses that state that if the AFL side is playing in finals as well then the clauses relating to playing in R23 don't apply as players would obviously need to prove or maintain fitness for the following weeks AFL final
I thought this was odd from the Crows/AFL site

"However, any player that featured in the Round 23 clash against the Bulldogs will not be available for the SANFL qualifying final.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
they really took the game to us a fortnight ago at Windy Hill

to my eye we looked more likely to bust the game open

but they were both skilled and well coached/drilled and continually matched us

the game was more intense than most VFL games so this being a final everything will go up a notch

anyone that can go to the game should be treated to a good contest and hopefully a good win to us

Back