Game Day Richmond v Essendon Qualifying Final Punt Road Oval Saturday 31/8 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed a life of limited responsibilities and social vices once upon a time. Now i am the enemy. White, bald and middled aged. I’d love to have a hot tub time machine for just one weekend around 1995. We were allowed to have opinions and had a sense of humour back then. A time before social media and the innerwebz. Just imagine that again.
You've just described me mate hehe!
100% agree and would buy a ticket for that hot tub machine - particularly coz it's '95...awesome year for being at the G punt road end. Many beers, many laughs 👍,

This win means that Richmond VFL has not lost a single game at Punt Road Oval this entire season. Next final is a Port Melbourne’s ground and the GF (if we make it) is at Marvel Stadium, so we will not be playing at Punt Road again this season. Well done boys!
DZT9fqn.gif

Yeah, Im getting a little pesimistic on RCD. I know it's early but signs arent that great that he is going to a be a big accumulator. Some nice tackling today but he tends to spectate a bit much for my liking.

Hopefully if he puts on some more muscle over the off season it might change.
Small signs yesterday,But have seen it before with others.Bit here and there but thats about it.
Next year will tell the story.

In hindsight that criticism is all good and well, but honestly, leading up to three qtr time, there wasn't much to suggest we had a snowflakes chance in hell. They had momentum, desire, structures, of and a little thing called a 40pt lead. We had blokes waiting for the footy to come to them. At 3/4 time McRae apparently set them free form what must have been holding them back, they were told to use the corridor more, to change up the angles and play risky footy. It really was great to watch that finish!
The amazing thing was is in the first 5mins of the last we were just going through the motions accepting our fate.Then bang!

unbelievable last quarter, glad i didn't turn it off at 3 QTR time.

Nank must simply play i think alongside Soldo, Chol 2nd preference and then Balta who didn't do enough round 23 for mine

Pickett looks great but not this year i think, let him debut round 1 next year as a feel good story.

Macintosh fallen off a cliff and would be some sort of trade bait this year you would think alongside Butler (who was okay). Ellis will likely leave i think which opens up a spot on the wing for someone next year, not sure Naish is the answer, Turner developing nicely

CCJ looks amazing for a 2nd year tall, finds the ball, contested marks, tackles, just a lot of things to love, don't know how he gets a game though, interesting dilemma

RCD is so far off its not funny, he is a great size and shape but extract the ball and don't fumble son! has concrete hands and has poor endurance and positioning and instincts, needs a lot of coaching and a large pre season
Kmac has hit the wall looks a shadow of his former self just can’t get his hands on the ball. I can’t see him playing any part in this years finals based on yesterday’s effort.

Unless he initiates a trade I’d hold onto him though his best is well and truely good enough and his hardness isn’t something we don’t necessarily have a lot of.

Totally agree with everyone’s assessment of CJ and performance of Nank but Bumbers big man division was very underwhelming no 74 for them wasn’t much good.
CJ is a beautiful mover for a guy his size his ground work is first class. you can see him being one of those ruckman who follows up after a ruck contest and assists his mids at ground level and can go forward and clunk contested marks

The amazing thing was is in the first 5mins of the last we were just going through the motions accepting our fate.Then bang!

I didn't get that quite so much, maybe with a few contests, but big Nack was really slamming into it. The very first contest out of the centre was OK with Nank and Pickett, but again no one really rolled up to help Pickett except an Essendon defender and that stopped what might have a been a magnificant start to the Qtr as we has loose players deep (all out the back waiting for it like the rest of the game) Our back 6 attacked the ball well - it was like they needed the 2nd qtr just to learn how to judge the ball in the air and then get told about. I would have needed that, but these guys are way more professional (but young and learning I guess)

Kmac has hit the wall looks a shadow of his former self just can’t get his hands on the ball. I can’t see him playing any part in this years finals based on yesterday’s effort.

Unless he initiates a trade I’d hold onto him though his best is well and truely good enough and his hardness isn’t something we don’t necessarily have a lot of.
I'm going to disagree on the shadow bit. They put him back in the twos and into defence a few weeks ago so we had cover if Grimes or Broad went down. I've watched every game and he's been good down there. Then yesterday they put him back on the wing. He barely touched it in the first half but no wingers did. There was no room for typical wing play. Then he went down back in the second half and was very good.

Can't be bothered going back to check who it was but somebody posted earlier that they couldn't recall seeing any Richmond team come back from that kind of margin at 3 quarter time before.
I'm not sure if there's stats available for the VFL/VFA but in the VFL/AFL seniors team we've never done it. 37 points is the biggest ever against South Melbourne in 1947. Last one that's memorable in recent times was that great win against Brisbane in 2008 when Joel Bowden kicked the winner with not long left, that was only 25.
In the history of the VFL/AFL teams have only come back from 40 or more down on 6 occasions!!! 45 is the biggest!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't be bothered going back to check who it was but somebody posted earlier that they couldn't recall seeing any Richmond team come back from that kind of margin at 3 quarter time before.
I'm not sure if there's stats available for the VFL/VFA but in the VFL/AFL seniors team we've never done it. 37 points is the biggest ever against South Melbourne in 1947. Last one that's memorable in recent times was that great win against Brisbane in 2008 when Joel Bowden kicked the winner with not long left, that was only 25.
In the history of the VFL/AFL teams have only come back from 40 or more down on 6 occasions!!! 45 is the biggest!
Is that from 40 or more at any time in the game or at 3/4 time? That's what's got me wondering.

Is that from 40 or more at any time in the game or at 3/4 time? That's what's got me wondering.
Those stats are all from three quarter time. Our record from any time in a game is 51, overall record is 69. That's only AFL/VFL. Haven't looked to see if there's any stats available for current VFL, VFA or reserves when they were still around.

I'm going to disagree on the shadow bit. They put him back in the twos and into defence a few weeks ago so we had cover if Grimes or Broad went down. I've watched every game and he's been good down there. Then yesterday they put him back on the wing. He barely touched it in the first half but no wingers did. There was no room for typical wing play. Then he went down back in the second half and was very good.
Definitely better 2nd half yesterday which was same as the previous week against Essendon. And yes tough day for wingman.
Not really demanding selection though. I was hoping he’d show more intent to attack, he’s still working hard defensively, but to me looks like a man down on confidence when we have possession.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Charlie Pannam, post: 62620696,
Kmac no chance of playing next week totally out of form
[/QUOTE]

Interesting that the official site wrap up lauded him several times and said he was instrumental
I didn’t watch the game do have no opinion just find it curious

lol just saw a vid of the towner report

what a joke
So if he were to get a week, can we apply the Sportsbet/Stephenson rule?
We would like to play him in the ones v Brisbane but we cant because he has a weeks suspension - so he sits out v Brisbane but is then eligible for the VFL game the following week?

[QUOTE="Charlie Pannam, post: 62620696,
Kmac no chance of playing next week totally out of form

Interesting that the official site wrap up lauded him several times and said he was instrumental
I didn’t watch the game do have no opinion just find it curious
[/QUOTE]

Just reading “around the state leagues” on the AFL website and Pickett Nank Menadue and Chol were all highlighted as players pushing their cause for AFL selection.
Also mentioned that Kmac had 8 touches.
I was really disappointed as a big Kmac fan that he didn’t push his case. Was really hoping that he’d find some form and be back in next week. But can’t see it happening.
He played wing then back in the 2nd half - in the last Q he played well defensively but had 1 kick (free from out on the full) and 1 scrambled handball.

Can’t see him getting his wing position back- Ellis and Caddy most likely penciled in
Or a position in our very settled backline

We didn't score after hitting the front. 🌈

Great effort by our lads considering we played all our AFL-listed players ahead of some of our best and most seasoned VFL players like Beasley, Ballard and Silvestro. We'd be a better team if those three played ahead of three of Miller, Moore, Collier-Dawkins, Turner or Markov.
Yeah , but look who we picked up ???
Nakkers and Pickett are pretty good recent replacements. 🤭Moore is still a good player and better than all of those VFL talls. He’s still coming back from a long injury. I think once Nank goes out Balta will not have the same impact in the ruck , but will be still very good around the ground. He could even play down back.
Silvestro needs to replace RCD and Beasley maybe for Miller, but won’t happen. Our list apart from Rance is at near full strength so the VFL boys are sadly going to miss. Markov and Turner will always play if fit and are best 22 in the VFL.

Last edited:
riZgq2s.png

zlMCGcf.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back