Game Day Richmond v Essendon Qualifying Final Punt Road Oval Saturday 31/8 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't be bothered going back to check who it was but somebody posted earlier that they couldn't recall seeing any Richmond team come back from that kind of margin at 3 quarter time before.
I'm not sure if there's stats available for the VFL/VFA but in the VFL/AFL seniors team we've never done it. 37 points is the biggest ever against South Melbourne in 1947. Last one that's memorable in recent times was that great win against Brisbane in 2008 when Joel Bowden kicked the winner with not long left, that was only 25.
In the history of the VFL/AFL teams have only come back from 40 or more down on 6 occasions!!! 45 is the biggest!
I think in that 2008 game we were 38 39 points down very late in the 3rd but 2 late goals kept us in it
then the master stroke Richo to full forward (was on the wing) kicks 5 in the last ??? brought the house down

So if he were to get a week, can we apply the Sportsbet/Stephenson rule?
We would like to play him in the ones v Brisbane but we cant because he has a weeks suspension - so he sits out v Brisbane but is then eligible for the VFL game the following week?
Exactly. AFL douchebags

I think in that 2008 game we were 38 39 points down very late in the 3rd but 2 late goals kept us in it
then the master stroke Richo to full forward (was on the wing) kicks 5 in the last ??? brought the house down
That could be right. I might have to watch it again:think:
That's one of the all time great quarters! Some ripper goals. Matty White's is a favourite!

[QUOTE="Charlie Pannam, post: 62620696,
Kmac no chance of playing next week totally out of form

Interesting that the official site wrap up lauded him several times and said he was instrumental
I didn’t watch the game do have no opinion just find it curious
[/QUOTE]

That dropped chest mark deep in the backline in the dying mins didn't help his cause.

watched the replay last night
found it amusing , some of the posts here and the commentary had me shaking my head

Essendon were SO switched on and we were SO bad
the first goal came from a mongrel swirling ball which NO body could judge , it fell on and Essendon player
I watched the replay carefully , yep nothing our guys could do , you cant roast them on that

next goal came from a Shane Warne special , the Essendon guy had no control , he threw it on the boot and hoped

then came a couple that were Tiger mistakes , Naish kick inboard - clanger goal and Hocking getting out the back goal

we stabilised and the first qtr finishes

then in the second there was the Long flop in front of the Jack Dyer stand for a 50 mtr penalty - goal , that hurt into the wind
and close on its heels another clanger from the umps and a goal

it was one of those days when spilt balls invariably went to an Essendon player on the outside or a Richmond on the inside with a tackler camped on him
we couldnt get anything going

Not to sell Essendon short , if given any time and space they were very clean , they strung together so very good passages of play and deserved some goals from those

some of our young guys gave away some cheap frees Cofield being a main offender also some of our young guys didn't handle the wind well down the punt rd side

but the effort was there from the start and in the last the ball started spilling our way plus Essendon looked like they might have sagged off a few times trying to be defensive which only gave us more time and space … deadly

Menadue while not having a big possession count was lively and made his possessions count and looks like an AFL player
Chol would have been frustrated , while he did some nice work, a few opportunities got away from him via bad bounces and a couple of dropped marks and a poster

Horrible day for tall defenders with the wind , the bombers often bombed it long and they all turned into helicopters , 36 for them was having a day out (as in way above his normal output) but Garthwaite was still controlling things from the back and with out him we lose by 10 goals

Pickett & Nank have had lots of love and it was deserved they are both AFL quality
Nank had his hands full with No. 74 , who played like he had nothing to lose , but ended up with 33 hit outs and 22 disposals not bad

A pointer to next year was CCJ , really nice performance, in a pressure game , I'm sure his performance will be loved by the club , lots of good body work , good in the air and more than ok at ground level , progressing beautifully

Callum Moore was real quiet , but laid a real important tackle in the last , I could tell if he was in packs or the ball was avoiding him, but he got a chance to contribute with that tackle and nailed it and that was with a number of the "quiet" players , they all did their little bit

watched the replay last night
found it amusing , some of the posts here and the commentary had me shaking my head

Essendon were SO switched on and we were SO bad
the first goal came from a mongrel swirling ball which NO body could judge , it fell on and Essendon player
I watched the replay carefully , yep nothing our guys could do , you cant roast them on that

next goal came from a Shane Warne special , the Essendon guy had no control , he threw it on the boot and hoped

then came a couple that were Tiger mistakes , Naish kick inboard - clanger goal and Hocking getting out the back goal

we stabilised and the first qtr finishes

then in the second there was the Long flop in front of the Jack Dyer stand for a 50 mtr penalty - goal , that hurt into the wind
and close on its heels another clanger from the umps and a goal

it was one of those days when spilt balls invariably went to an Essendon player on the outside or a Richmond on the inside with a tackler camped on him
we couldnt get anything going

Not to sell Essendon short , if given any time and space they were very clean , they strung together so very good passages of play and deserved some goals from those

some of our young guys gave away some cheap frees Cofield being a main offender also some of our young guys didn't handle the wind well down the punt rd side

but the effort was there from the start and in the last the ball started spilling our way plus Essendon looked like they might have sagged off a few times trying to be defensive which only gave us more time and space … deadly

Menadue while not having a big possession count was lively and made his possessions count and looks like an AFL player
Chol would have been frustrated , while he did some nice work, a few opportunities got away from him via bad bounces and a couple of dropped marks and a poster

Horrible day for tall defenders with the wind , the bombers often bombed it long and they all turned into helicopters , 36 for them was having a day out (as in way above his normal output) but Garthwaite was still controlling things from the back and with out him we lose by 10 goals

Pickett & Nank have had lots of love and it was deserved they are both AFL quality
Nank had his hands full with No. 74 , who played like he had nothing to lose , but ended up with 33 hit outs and 22 disposals not bad

A pointer to next year was CCJ , really nice performance, in a pressure game , I'm sure his performance will be loved by the club , lots of good body work , good in the air and more than ok at ground level , progressing beautifully

Callum Moore was real quiet , but laid a real important tackle in the last , I could tell if he was in packs or the ball was avoiding him, but he got a chance to contribute with that tackle and nailed it and that was with a number of the "quiet" players , they all did their little bit
A very nice report on how you saw the game ''ceehook'', very accurate to all players, well done. Cholly cant seem to find space or take marks at vfl level as he does when he is up to afl, because it is not delivered as accurately or to his strengths. Moorey in his second game after 12 weeks off was 'quiet' but his first game was good. And to acknowledge Garth was good to ''read'' because if you add his 3 smothers 6 spoils and 5 blocks to his stats! the club would be very happy with his development under extreme pressure for more than 3 qtrs. This should be the get ''outa jail' victory to carry us to a shot at vfl glory, Go Tigers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be there

really looking forward to it. love the fact our VFL team is offering entertainment while we have weeks off.

Ports a nice ground so wont mind watching it there.

Will be there

really looking forward to it. love the fact our VFL team is offering entertainment while we have weeks off.

Ports a nice ground so wont mind watching it there.
"Ports a nice ground"

WTF , next you'll say Port supporters are nice , just misunderstood
my memories from the 70's & 80's it was the Victoria Park of the VFA
foul mouthed punchy supporters who would OVER celebrate everything
and thrived on making the football experience pretty horrible for everyone else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back