AFLW Richmond v Fremantle January, 22 5.10pm Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sick of the umpiring. Wtf, it's the same story in the AFLW, AFL, VFL, and even the VFLW when we used to play. Can we just have at least one side that doesn't get treated like we did in yesterday's game?

Yes, we were fairly undisciplined, but the umpires really exacerbate it IMO. I've seen plenty of frees against that they miss for the opposition, so why don't they 'miss' them for us too? Why don't I almost never see us get 7 shots at goal from a close range due to free kicks?

With 4 new teams entering the competition next season & the possibility of losing 4 decent players from our current squad. I think it will be hard to compete against the top 4 teams anytime in the near future. After watching todays game we have probably 14-15 players that are of a high enough standard going forward, so will be very hard to draft good enough players to add too our squad in the next couple of seasons. The AFLW have to protect the newer teams, otherwise we will end up with a completely lopsided competition.
Good post.

It’s still not certain how it’s going to play out with signing players from other teams though they have said they’re looking at this for the draft.

“The expansion clubs will receive the first eight picks of the state-based draft, with the order to be determined at random.

They will then receive remaining picks at the end of each round, following the existing 14 clubs”.

That’s gonna bring challenges building the list.
It puts into the light just how far we got it wrong in our direction and how lucky Sheehan is to still have a job.

You’d guess there would be alotve players looking for opportunities in SA and hopefully the AFL recognise the current new additions to the league are vulnerable to being cut off at the knees for the next couple of years if they lose a few quality players you can see it at St Kilda now.
It was only North that did well from the start the other teams are still a fair way off.

I would like to hear the clubs plans for the VFLW in the short term, I think we are going to need to develop our own.

Good post.

It’s still not certain how it’s going to play out with signing players from other teams though they have said they’re looking at this for the draft.

“The expansion clubs will receive the first eight picks of the state-based draft, with the order to be determined at random.

They will then receive remaining picks at the end of each round, following the existing 14 clubs”.

That’s gonna bring challenges building the list.
It puts into the light just how far we got it wrong in our direction and how lucky Sheehan is to still have a job.

You’d guess there would be alotve players looking for opportunities in SA and hopefully the AFL recognise the current new additions to the league are vulnerable to being cut off at the knees for the next couple of years if they lose a few quality players you can see it at St Kilda now.
It was only North that did well from the start the other teams are still a fair way off.

I would like to hear the clubs plans for the VFLW in the short term, I think we are going to need to develop our own.
On that, I still don't understand why we gave away our licence to Port Melbourne. We are one of the financially well-off Melburnian clubs in the competition and no one else with a standalone VFLW side needed to give away their VFLW licence.

On that, I still don't understand why we gave away our licence to Port Melbourne. We are one of the financially well-off Melburnian clubs in the competition and no one else with a standalone VFLW side needed to give away their VFLW licence.

You don’t know what the goings on were within the walls of the board room but it looks like a decision made too early and made to look even more silly when we announced a $2.5m profit in November.

Not only did it rightly allow others to question our commitment to womens football but it also put us on the back foot in relation to on field performance not having our own VFL side.

I’m not exactly sure how easy it will be to get a licence back now.

Last edited:
Now, umpires didn’t cost us the game, but gee there were some shockers.

I think we have a reputation amongst the umpires that we are clumsy with our tackles and whilst there is no doubt frees are there I have no doubt that we are getting some frees paid against us on the back of the reputation instead of the actual incident.

Telling that Ferg mentioned in his presser that the umpires have a fair bit of growth in their game. The problem is that this is supposed to be an elite competition. You don’t put umpires who are learning out in that competition. They should also be elite.

Freo much better on the day but loved the fight in our girls. This is a game we probably would have scored 1 or 2 goals in the past and we kicked good scores against quality opposition over the last 2 weeks.

We are getting there.
7G in a losing fight is a decent effort , for 3q in the game , the injuries will cruel our year with limited depth any side lose a few senior players and your cactus , I’ve said before anyone out of the side is generally an avg player

You don’t know what the goings on were within the walls of the board room but it looks like a decision made too early and made to look even more silly when we announced a $2.5m profit in November.

Not only did it rightly allow others to question our commitment to womens football but it also put us on the back foot in relation to on field performance not having our own VFL side.

I’m not exactly sure how easy it will be to get a licence back now.
My understanding it was a soft cap decision rather than the Impact on operating costs of the club per se. It really shouldnt stand in the way of progress, hawthorn and more recently melb have proven that aligned vfl teams are NO obstacle to winning flags

I'm sick of the umpiring. Wtf, it's the same story in the AFLW, AFL, VFL, and even the VFLW when we used to play. Can we just have at least one side that doesn't get treated like we did in yesterday's game?

Yes, we were fairly undisciplined, but the umpires really exacerbate it IMO. I've seen plenty of frees against that they miss for the opposition, so why don't they 'miss' them for us too? Why don't I almost never see us get 7 shots at goal from a close range due to free kicks?
I’d just like to see 1-2 I’m not greedy

Now, umpires didn’t cost us the game, but gee there were some shockers.

I think we have a reputation amongst the umpires that we are clumsy with our tackles and whilst there is no doubt frees are there I have no doubt that we are getting some frees paid against us on the back of the reputation instead of the actual incident.

Telling that Ferg mentioned in his presser that the umpires have a fair bit of growth in their game. The problem is that this is supposed to be an elite competition. You don’t put umpires who are learning out in that competition. They should also be elite.

Freo much better on the day but loved the fight in our girls. This is a game we probably would have scored 1 or 2 goals in the past and we kicked good scores against quality opposition over the last 2 weeks.

We are getting there.

i had a good look at the game a couple of times and came to the conclusion

1) saw only maybe 2-3 bad umpiring blunders, Dempsey HTB in front of goals 3Q & Shevlin non call, pushed in the back 4Q, both resulted in goals

2) main culprits for stupid, indiscipline, very obvious free kicks were Lynch & McLelland in the backline, the worst place to happen
Lynch when under the pump, usually just throws her arms around the 1st thing she sees, which is the head & neck area, results in free kick 100% of the time. someone needs to work with her on this, as it happens a lot

McLelland is just sloppy, bordering on reportable aggressive, ran to shepherd K.Antonio, hit her in the upper chest/throat area = free kick & goal, there was no need, is she just trying to act tough? not smart enough really

3) Melborne & Fremantle blew us away with one 5 goal Q. we cant seem to stop a run like this ATM against the top sides
Freo hit their targets on the chest, we put the ball a metre short, making things difficult

4) once we lost Cordner, the backline glue came undone in 4Q as well as tiredness. the heat suited our opponents

5) Freo is a very smart top 4 side, waited for our players to take the ball, only then did they tackle, resulting in a HTB
need to teach our players to tap the ball out, to our advantage

6) cant afford to lose, Wakefield & now Cordner, we haven't got the depth, will cause grief, especially if McKenzie can't get up in the next 4 games. losing Lavey before the game didn't help

7) Roxy Roux caused Corners knee injury by pushing her in the back, causing knee to buckle under her :mad:

8) overall we tried hard but not in Freo's league to be fair. special mentions to Conti, Brennan & Seymour for a gutsy effort
kicking 7 goals in a losing score is a great effort

Yea thx Stan , our tail so oft bobs up and costs us , I don’t think lynch will make it , battles hard, makes a lot of errors , similar class to dargan which isn’t great . How on earth do we cover cordner , Tessa lavey will be a welcome return . Ideally our draftees wouldn’t be playing , instead plying their trade at vfl level , they look to me way out of depth which I’m not perturbed as it reflects the vast improvements in the std that kids can’t walz in and make an impact from the get go ,,,alas without depth they’ll be playing week in week out

I’d just like to see 1-2 I’m not greedy

it's mainly how obvious the free kicks are, we don't give away ticky touchwood frees, we give away blatantly obvious frees that the umpire can't help but give, if you re-watch the game, you can see it happening before it happens, the same players appear to give these frees away

unfortunately our worst free kick areas are 20 metres out from goal
i don't know if it's technique or player problem

Yea thx Stan , our tail so oft bobs up and costs us , I don’t think lynch will make it , battles hard, makes a lot of errors , similar class to dargan which isn’t great . How on earth do we cover cordner , Tessa lavey will be a welcome return . Ideally our draftees wouldn’t be playing , instead plying their trade at vfl level , they look to me way out of depth which I’m not perturbed as it reflects the vast improvements in the std that kids can’t walz in and make an impact from the get go ,,,alas without depth they’ll be playing week in week out

this is 100% spot on

agree Lynch probably wont make it, nice story her & her brother, but she's too error ridden
must not play in the backline at all, never again, Mclelland isn't trustworthy as a backline player as well, costs us goals we cant afford

we cant cover Cordner or Wakefield or McKenzie, that's just the way it is
Reid shouldn't be playing & maybe Yassir as well, ease them in would be the way, but who we got to replace them? they aren't any better

i posted before the season started that we aren't near the top 6 sides
i haven;t seen anything so far to change my mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is 100% spot on

agree Lynch probably wont make it, nice story her & her brother, but she's too error ridden
must not play in the backline at all, never again, Mclelland isn't trustworthy as a backline player as well, costs us goals we cant afford

we cant cover Cordner or Wakefield or McKenzie, that's just the way it is
Reid shouldn't be playing & maybe Yassir as well, ease them in would be the way, but who we got to replace them? they aren't any better

i posted before the season started that we aren't near the top 6 sides
i haven;t seen anything so far to change my mind
The good news Is we re super competitive and with a full squad I reckon On our day would have surprised a few and won the games we should win, sadly we won’t know now and will just have to battle the season out best we can , hopefully Ellie mc is back soon however I’ve heard nothing to suggest that’s remotely close , I’d doubt she’d come back at all if it were only for 1-2 games

Last edited:
The good news Is we re super competitive and with a full squad I reckon a Seoul day have surprised a few and won the games we should win, sadly we won’t know now and will just have to battle the season out best we can , hopefully Ellie mc is back soon however I’ve heard nothing to suggest that’s remotely close , I’d doubt she’d come back at all if it were only for 1-2 games

sadly we won’t know now and will just have to battle the season out best we can
yeah that's what it looks like now, losing our FF, FB, Ruck & 2nd best MID isn't ideal

next 5 games will be interesting

Round 4 v Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium W
Round 5 v Bulldogs at Whitten Oval W
Round 6 v North at Swinburne L
Round 7 v West Coast at Perth (probably Vic, Swinburne?) W
Round 8 v Geelong at Swinburne W

win 4 out of 5, have a good competitive loss against North, would be a excellent result :praying:

hopefully Ellie mc is back soon however I’ve heard nothing to suggest that’s remotely close
At the game against the Dees she got interviewed infront of the crowd and when she was asked she said hopefully she plays at some stage this season.
Didnt seem like there was even a plan.

At the game against the Dees she got interviewed infront of the crowd and when she was asked she said hopefully she plays at some stage this season.
Didnt seem like there was even a plan.

I wouldn’t say there is no plan. Return would always depend on how the injury is responding so they probably just don't know yet.

I guess Akec or Sansonetti come into calcs with Harriet confirmed ACL and McClelland possibly suspended. We are very fortunate Gabby Seymour has the tank to ruck all day but crikey it's asking a lot of her.

I wouldn’t say there is no plan. Return would always depend on how the injury is responding so they probably just don't know yet.

I guess Akec or Sansonetti come into calcs with Harriet confirmed ACL and McClelland possibly suspended. We are very fortunate Gabby Seymour has the tank to ruck all day but crikey it's asking a lot of her.
Yeah, a wait and see type.

I’m concerned we are risking Gabby Seymour.
Saints didn’t seem to fight too hard to keep Poppy hope injuries wasn’t the reason.

One thing about the short season and looking at the injury list, if there’s only 7 games left is a medium term injury really a season ending situation…?

Yeah, a wait and see type.

I’m concerned we are risking Gabby Seymour.
Saints didn’t seem to fight too hard to keep Poppy hope injuries wasn’t the reason.

One thing about the short season and looking at the injury list, if there’s only 7 games left is a medium term injury really a season ending situation…?

crazy isn't it, the worst luck possible

our backline has been decimated, Iilish Ross, Hannah McLaren & now Harriet Cordner all gone

with Poppy Kelly down, we've got Gabrielle Seymour as our only ruck

our FF, Courtney Wakefield has gone down as well

who knows if Ellie McKenzie will play this season?

it sucks big time

who was to know that when we got rid of Saxon-Jones, Frederick & Edmonds, that we'd only be left with one ruck
did we walk under a ladder, run over a black cat or break a mirror, to get such bad luck?

if Gabby Seymour can hang on for another 4 weeks, that'd be some effort by her, playing full game time
really incredible how much she;s improved & become one of our most important players this season

who was to know that when we got rid of Saxon-Jones, Frederick & Edmonds, that we'd only be left with one ruck
did we walk under a ladder, run over a black cat or break a mirror, to get such bad luck?

if Gabby Seymour can hang on for another 4 weeks, that'd be some effort by her, playing full game time
really incredible how much she;s improved & become one of our most important players this season

Cleo Saxon-Joes was a long way off AFLW standard. Not entirely her fault, missed lots of footy due to injury.
I'd still do the Sabs trade now even with our injury setbacks. She is struggling and we have Shevlin, Yassir and Kiely on our list because of that trade. We will win that trade bigtime.
In terms of Edmonds sure we could have tried to keep her but how many rucks do you keep on a playing list of 30? I still don't think we would have picked her in the team anyway. There are only a few rucks of real quality in AFLW.

Might have to throw Akec in the middle to give Gabby a chop out this week. I suspect Gabby will ruck at least 90% of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back