Richmond v Geelong last-minute clock freeze

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m surprised nothing has been made of this.

With 42 seconds to go tonight and only 3 points the difference there was a stoppage called in the centre square. For a good 10 seconds after play was restarted the clock remained stuck on 0:42 before it started ticking again.

Now obviously it didn’t make a difference in the end as Richmond won the stoppage and then repelled Geelong’s last chain of possession. But how can this be allowed to happen?

With 42 seconds to go tonight and only 3 points the difference there was a stoppage called in the centre square. For a good 10 seconds after play was restarted the clock remained stuck on 0:42 before it started ticking again.

Now obviously it didn’t make a difference in the end as Richmond won the stoppage and then repelled Geelong’s last chain of possession. But how can this be allowed to happen?
The Ch.7 clock isn’t the official one, which is why they remove it with ~5 seconds to go because it won’t match exactly

It could count in Roman numerals for all the difference it would make to the official time keepers

The Ch.7 clock isn’t the official one, which is why they remove it with ~5 seconds to go because it won’t match exactly
yeah the AFL will say that to cover their ass.

The siren went when the tv clock counted down to 0. The tv clock did freeze for 10 seconds. Was it 10 seconds ahead so they froze it to get it in sync with the "official" clock?

Do other sports try to cover themselves by saying the tv clock is not the official clock? NBA? NHL? NFL?

yeah the AFL will say that to cover their ass.

The siren went when the tv clock counted down to 0. The tv clock did freeze for 10 seconds. Was it 10 seconds ahead so they froze it to get it in sync with the "official" clock?

Do other sports try to cover themselves by saying the tv clock is not the official clock? NBA? NHL? NFL?
Don’t think the AFL have ever said it actually.

Anyway, All it’d take is an ad-break for them to re-sync the TV clock

How dare the umpires make two obviously correct calls. Obviously out to get Richmond.
The umpires were average, but not the worst ever as some from my fellow tribe have said. Jack's kick in the final quarter was a goal though.

Didn't even notice it. Come on, it's not an EJ Whitten Legends game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I counted about 8 seconds watching the 'last 2 min' video.
Pretty sure it was to make up for the deliberate out of bounds shortly before where the clock didn't stop counting down but should have.

What if the umpires blew time off

Mountain.....molehill....and all that

if it allowed geelong a final shot it would have gone hand in hand with the goal they got from the high tackle + sling tackle on short

That was offset by the clear in the back/holding the man/high contact free which should've been paid against Nankervis when he thought he was at the WWE Super Showdown and tried to spear Menegola into the MCG turf. That and Cotchin getting away with having his knee in Gazza's face while trying to pull his arm out of its socket at the bottom of the pack in the first term.

The umpires were average, but not the worst ever as some from my fellow tribe have said. Jack's kick in the final quarter was a goal though.

Should never have been a free in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back