AFLW Richmond v Geelong Saturday February 26 5.10pm Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, some were ranking the Cats down a fair bit a few weeks ago - I've always rated them more than our side and like the way they often fight out a game even from 4-5 goals down. I think they have under performed a bit - a bit like us for various reasons.
Hmm maybe on this years encouraging form , certainly not coming out of last year you wouldn’t have that view they were woeful

Hmm maybe on this years encouraging form , certainly not coming out of last year you wouldn’t have that view they were woeful
Only on this years form - agree, they seem to be better coached this year and their list has better coverage, albeit still relying on a fair bit of youth.

Disappointing.

I reckon 4 of Geelong's goals came from straight up structural lapses.

In the first 5 minutes, there were loose Geelong players forward of the stoppages and ground contests. Bloody lucky we only conceded one from it.

Then 3 goals in the 2nd qtr where we just didn't defend the goal square.

Our improvement is visible, but we haven't improved relative to most of the opposition = standing still. Yes, we have injuries, but they highlight the obvious gaps in the list. Marking 6 footers and outside mids required.

Conti couldn't do much more. It was probably Poppy's best game. Ditto Jess Hosking.

Disappointing.

I reckon 4 of Geelong's goals came from straight up structural lapses.

In the first 5 minutes, there were loose Geelong players forward of the stoppages and ground contests. Bloody lucky we only conceded one from it.

Then 3 goals in the 2nd qtr where we just didn't defend the goal square.

Our improvement is visible, but we haven't improved relative to most of the opposition = standing still. Yes, we have injuries, but they highlight the obvious gaps in the list. Marking 6 footers and outside mids required.

Conti couldn't do much more. It was probably Poppy's best game. Ditto Jess Hosking.
Agree with all of that, gave up goal side positions too easily! But I'm intrigued that you thought Poppy had a 'best game'. I thought it was one of her less effective games - St Kilda game being a standout.
Now perhaps I missed some things, but I thought we were more vulnerable nearly every time we had Poppy on the ball. I know Stats are not always the be all end all - Was it her palms to advantage that I missed, I didn't see her tackle much, but again maybe I missed repeated blocks???? I'm genuinely wanting to say if Poppy breaks even - we at least have a win freeing up Gabby, but I didn't even think that happened this week - even though I want to say it. I just couldn't call it that way.

In the StKilda game some her taps were great, quite clearing at times and gave Conti a run at the ball, which she loves. I can't recall one instance that I went "Good onya Poppy". I'll be mean on myself and have another look at the game when I can, and see what I missed maybe. Where should I look do you think? Were there better periods than others?

1646032026077.png
1646031730574.png
1646031780061.png

1646031869655.png
1646031930620.png
1646031982425.png

Edit. Just looked at the 1st Qtr and Poppy went Ok, nothing eye catching I would have thought, one very nice tap, got most of her HO stats in that 7-8 minute 1st qtr burst it would seem - a couple of effective HO's maybe from more than 10 or so, but nothing came of them (not her fault).

Last edited:
Agree with all of that, gave up goal side positions too easily! But I'm intrigued that you thought Poppy had a 'best game'. I thought it was one of her less effective games - St Kilda game being a standout.
Now perhaps I missed some things, but I thought we were more vulnerable nearly every time we had Poppy on the ball. I know Stats are not always the be all end all - Was it her palms to advantage that I missed, I didn't see her tackle much, but again maybe I missed repeated blocks???? I'm genuinely wanting to say if Poppy breaks even - we at least have a win freeing up Gabby, but I didn't even think that happened this week - even though I want to say it. I just couldn't call it that way.

In the StKilda game some her taps were great, quite clearing at times and gave Conti a run at the ball, which she loves. I can't recall one instance that I went "Good onya Poppy". I'll be mean on myself and have another look at the game when I can, and see what I missed maybe. Where should I look do you think? Were there better periods than others?

View attachment 1335711
View attachment 1335704
View attachment 1335705

View attachment 1335706
View attachment 1335707
View attachment 1335709
Poppy has been fairly unobtrusive since the saints game, has the knee hindered her , still strapped I notice. We have so many non contributors that are the same suspects week in week out . If Conti Ellie and kB don’t blitz we got NO hope of a win as they carry a dozen players. The development of Beth lynch gives me some hope that rookies can come on and improve ,,not many do , but she’s another on right track

Poppy has been fairly unobtrusive since the saints game, has the knee hindered her , still strapped I notice. We have so many non contributors that are the same suspects week in week out . If Conti Ellie and kB don’t blitz we got NO hope of a win as they carry a dozen players. The development of Beth lynch gives me some hope that rookies can come on and improve ,,not many do , but she’s another on right track
Yeah, not having a go a RB, was just surprised and wondered what i might have missed. Her 1st quarter looked like her most productive and it was, as you said, fairly unobtrusive. She probably broke even that quarter, which I think is the name of her game, if it releases Gabby, but I think Gabby was off that long stretch in the first qtr, so we probably lost that game segment.

I'm please with Lavey, surely you are too? Don't might Megan Keily, really puts in. Kate Dempsey is young and improving I think. Happy with the Hoskings, Sarah getting into the game a bit more - may have struggled a bit with that early injury. Desperate for another quality mid, because we are not getting much out of Molan, Jaques or Brancatasano, which is a pity one of that trio hasn't stepped up to be quality.

Down back we do are OK, Bec Miller is probably a top 15 defender, D'arcy punches above her weight, and Lynch, as you say keeps developing. McDonald too is still young enough to develop and has had mixed form and the same with Sansonetti. Shevlin has had her quality moments and has a good leg.

It's up forward we are avoid (excl Brennan). Missing Wakefield's work - after that maybe Yassir gives something to look forward to.

Out of interest, who did Geelong have that are the equals of Conti, Bennan and McKenzie?

I’m going to be honest, I stopped watching at half time and just ended up following the scores on the AFLW app.

I could sit through the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne game, but I could not do this one. It was by far the worst we played this year. We struggled to hit a single target in most of the first half. Not sure about the second half but others can comment on that.

Our midfield in particular is terrible. Whenever we played a side outside of St Kilda and West Coast, we have Conti, McKenzie, Sarah Hosking and Lavey playing against about 6-8 midfielders from our opposition. Of course we’ll get smashed if that’s the case.

We really lack decent role players in and are short at least one star midfielder. You’re simply not going win many games of football if the midfield is not AFLW standard.

View attachment 1335711
View attachment 1335704
View attachment 1335705

View attachment 1335706
View attachment 1335707
View attachment 1335709

Edit. Just looked at the 1st Qtr and Poppy went Ok, nothing eye catching I would have thought, one very nice tap, got most of her HO stats in that 7-8 minute 1st qtr burst it would seem - a couple of effective HO's maybe from more than 10 or so, but nothing came of them (not her fault).

I don't disagree with anything you say.

We won the hit-outs 41-23. Poppy got 14 of them. Agree there are hit-outs that mean SFA, and hit-outs to advantage. Not many of those 14 were to advantage.

But, we lost the hit-outs every other game she's played (except vs North, 20-19) - sometimes badly.

Her positioning around the ground was better, and she did neutralise a couple of contested marking situations in the 2nd half, after Geelong's talls were giving them an easy route down the ground for most of the first.

And she did release Gabby.

I'm not saying Poppy had a great game. I'm saying she was better. I like to put a positive face on things. I'm a Richmond supporter, and if their wearing a Richmond jumper, I support them. I just can't help watching Alice Edmond's season and wondering if the list management decision was the right one.

I don't disagree with anything you say.

We won the hit-outs 41-23. Poppy got 14 of them. Agree there are hit-outs that mean SFA, and hit-outs to advantage. Not many of those 14 were to advantage.

But, we lost the hit-outs every other game she's played (except vs North, 20-19) - sometimes badly.

Her positioning around the ground was better, and she did neutralise a couple of contested marking situations in the 2nd half, after Geelong's talls were giving them an easy route down the ground for most of the first.

And she did release Gabby.

I'm not saying Poppy had a great game. I'm saying she was better. I like to put a positive face on things. I'm a Richmond supporter, and if their wearing a Richmond jumper, I support them. I just can't help watching Alice Edmond's season and wondering if the list management decision was the right one.
OK, just different lenses perhaps, which is what fandom is all about. Watching her 1st Qtr back I concede I saw more than I recalled. Still say she was ineffective over the course of the game and probably didn't affect their Rucks as much as I would have hoped for. Made it hard work for our mids - but soemtimes that's what they have to do. That 2nd qtr was pretty ordinary, but she was not alone.

Absolutely agree with your last comment - I was stunned at the decision really. We were losing Fredricks (not a big loss but a big body) and getting Poppy and knew we needed Gabby (you would think) in a more versatile role. Were we unlucky with Poppy's knee or was there prior? Irrespective, one down and we were in deep s**t and it was not as though Alice was seeking better opportunities (as far as I know) - we simply delisted her (Clubs do delist players recommending they seek other opportunities and knowing some exist). She is filling the need for a back up Ruck admirably at the Bullies, in fact you might even say her game has developed more there than it did at Tigerland - could also be that time taller players come on and some motivation from being delisted - either way she would have been handy when Poppy was out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back