Game Day Richmond v GWS grand final thread 2019

I wonder if Phil Davis is having guilt pangs today after playing in the GF clearly <100%, Jack Riewoldt being the major beneficiary. Being Captain, 1st big dance and all, can understand him wanting to, but that is where guys like Prestigiacomo and Coniglio have my respect, for their absolute team first decisions.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I wonder if Phil Davis is having guilt pangs today after playing in the GF clearly <100%, Jack Riewoldt being the major beneficiary. Being Captain, 1st big dance and all, can understand him wanting to, but that is where guys like Prestigiacomo and Coniglio have my respect, for their absolute team first decisions.

Maybe. Having lost by so much probably absolves him from feeling personal guilt. Hardly cost them the game. But then again blokes like Stevo and McKernan played in GFs <100% and have gone into folklore for it. The adage about not taking injured players into finals is true until a Lappin plays with a jumper full of busted ribs and does well in a win. My quibble with it was how the Giants handled it. If it comes down to a fitness test 90mins before the game in the middle of the MCG then he's probably not right.

As for Davis' performance, he was very ordinary. Just like his teammates and coaching staff.

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The score would suggest they that Davis and his fellow backs were complete shyte, don't think that's the case, their midfield was destroyed and forward line non existent. Their defence was the least of their problems. If there was a player that shouldn't have played, it was Whitfield. Oh, and i'm not a Davis fan, can't stand him, just don't think his performance had any bearing on the result

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
That’s a pretty s**t example. Ellis is a terrible footballer

Agreed. Ellis is average at best. And Richmond have no problems moving him because of it.

How many of our limited players do we re-sign to contract after contract and expect vastly different performance.

We are not a ruthless club. We see it at the trade table, team selections, contracts handed out (on- and off-the-field) etc.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Richmond's press is everything. They are a tactically facilitated side.

The defensive aerial wall of Astbury, Grimes & Vlaustin (& Rance when fit) is the platform of their strength.

GWS had no serious long targets yesterday, so they had to run the ball in order to go forward. Their transition yesterday was PUTRID, and this allowed the Richmond pressure players at ground level to get in to the game. Leon Cameron had a shocker in the coaches box.

This finals series was a perfect storm for Richmond. A hell of a lot of things went their way. What they do very well is maximise their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. They are no model for us, or anyone else.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
9/10 of their last games at the MCG.

Sure GWS, Brisbane, WC & Cats would have liked that at their home grounds to finish the season.

Small * this 2019 for the obvious uneven playing field.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think a myth is going to be created that Davis was poor simply because he was injured.
Same as the myth that Davis is an elite defender that the commentators like to pump up because he is handsome, well dressed and wants a media career.

Davis is very good under strict parameters that suit him. That is when the ball comes in slow and high and he is well positioned.

The truth is he is as slow as an iceberg and has always struggled against good sides who are fleet of foot.

He doesn't have the closing speed of the truly elite defenders and is always vulnerable on the lead. This has been the case his entire career.

He is good on the punch on the slow high ball. I agree with that. He reads it well in the air and is good with his body positions. Not doubting that or diminishing that part of his game. But *.

He has always been very slow.

Last edited:
Maybe. Having lost by so much probably absolves him from feeling personal guilt. Hardly cost them the game. But then again blokes like Stevo and McKernan played in GFs <100% and have gone into folklore for it. The adage about not taking injured players into finals is true until a Lappin plays with a jumper full of busted ribs and does well in a win. My quibble with it was how the Giants handled it. If it comes down to a fitness test 90mins before the game in the middle of the MCG then he's probably not right.

As for Davis' performance, he was very ordinary. Just like his teammates and coaching staff.

Please refrain from using Stevo's name in the same post as the Captain of the GWS. Stevo was one of the greats and I'm tipping would also get up and play an inspirational game if called upon today. The Captain of the GWS? Does his best work getting opposition blokes reported for retaliating.

As far as JK is concerned, I too lost a bit of respect for him on yesterday's performance. Allegedly being paid the big bucks, in the absence of Coniglio and Ward, as their best midfielder, had just 15 possessions, admittedly with a hamstring in the second half, but should have been their main man. Instead was just another GWS player who freaked out on the big stage.

Only Taranto, Shaw and Haynes earned their keep yesterday. IMO

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

The defensive aerial wall of Astbury, Grimes & Vlaustin (& Rance when fit) is the platform of their strength.

GWS had no serious long targets yesterday, so they had to run the ball in order to go forward. Their transition yesterday was PUTRID, and this allowed the Richmond pressure players at ground level to get in to the game. Leon Cameron had a shocker in the coaches box.

This finals series was a perfect storm for Richmond. A hell of a lot of things went their way. What they do very well is maximise their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. They are no model for us, or anyone else.

They are a model in that they maximise strengths and minimise weaknesses.

Look at us and compare 1-9 to 10 onwards. Scott has us playing a style that basically maximised our weaknesses. It was ridiculous in that our players were incapable of carrying it out.

Shaw comes in and within a week we’re the most physically brutal side in the competition. Playing to our strength we went 7-5 and were stiff not to be 9-3.

I know its a big potential turnover spot but imo contested marking is a potential way around that. With the likes of Garner, Thomas, Cunnington and even Turner we have strong contested marking players. I reckon contested marking in the midfield is something that would really help us. However it needs skillful kicking and immediate plan Bs and Cs if the mark doesn't work.

We had Brown, then Larkey and then Thommo in the top 100 for average CMs. (And Goldy who was ranked 98.)

We were lowest for marks per game last season. Its frustrated me all year.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pigs. Don't care how many members they have and how many millions they are going to rake in.

North supporters carried on like that post G.F win l would chuck it in.

Know it's a minority but l am glad most of us go with family and kids and try to make wins something we can enjoy and share. Not burn opposition scarves & flags, fire flares and generally trash s**t.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The score would suggest they that Davis and his fellow backs were complete s**t, don't think that's the case, their midfield was destroyed and forward line non existent. Their defence was the least of their problems. If there was a player that shouldn't have played, it was Whitfield. Oh, and i'm not a Davis fan, can't stand him, just don't think his performance had any bearing on the result
Davis was also completely reamed by that first free kick to Jack when Jack did Greg Luganis proud....was pathetic. Razor nearly swallowed his whistle with excitement. That set the tone and took away Davis’s main strength, outbodying his opponent.

dus

Premiership Player
May 14, 2002
Poker Table
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Razor was absolutely pathetic yesterday.

3/4 of the Tigs first goals were Razor assisted.

Riewoldt push. Non call out of the ruck. Something else I can’t remember.

It was all over after that.

Bloke is a flog and a s**t ump.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Razor was absolutely pathetic yesterday.

3/4 of the Tigs first goals were Razor assisted.

Riewoldt push. Non call out of the ruck. Something else I can’t remember.

It was all over after that.

Bloke is a flog and a s**t ump.
The Pickett non-disposal slash throw slash caught. Thought Pickett played a blinder though. If that was a debutant by us there’d be a 100 page thread rollin hard right now. Can play.

As in plenty of seasons, one team just runs out of steam on the last day. GWS put in a trojan effort to get to the last game. They battled grimly until 5 seconds before quarter time and then shot their bolt. On the other hand Richmond were rested and primed. Good luck to them. Hopefully, we can do the same next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As in plenty of seasons, one team just runs out of steam on the last day. GWS put in a trojan effort to get to the last game. They battled grimly until 5 seconds before quarter time and then shot their bolt. On the other hand Richmond were rested and primed. Good luck to them. Hopefully, we can do the same next year.

Yep.

I think looking at the back end of our year without the atrocious start we could have been a lot more strategic about who went on that barrage of interstate trips. We need to get smarter at it IMO if we're going to play 4 games in Tasmania on top of what will always be one of the hardest travel fixtures in the league each year. Need to get into a position early enough where we can either coast a bit or be strategic with those WA / SA trips or indeed resting players when we have back to back 6 day breaks.

True. But rarely is the collapse as dramatic as it was on this occasion. 3 goals in perfect conditions was absolutely pitiful. Geelong in particular will be kicking themselves about what might have been. After a pretty good season they were 3 goals up at half time in the Prelim, with Richmond looking shaky. Had they found the way to win, there is little doubt they would have accounted for GWS pretty easily as well.

Back