AFLW Richmond v Melbourne Friday 14 January, 7.10pm Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Is a bigger out than most might realise - I'm mean really, who fills that role, hit up lead, strong contested mark, strongest tackler, strong leadership figure? probably one of our hardest to cover, and when you do, what other void does that leave? Gives the Club something to consider that's for sure!
It is as her presence with kB is prob our comp edge v other sides in our weight division . Hope she’s back soon

Got anything good to offer -am genuinely looking forward to reading it? We all want players to jump off the page - would have been great to get a Rowbottom or others, but Reid will be OK. Have you been to a game yet? - I haven't, bit hard from 2000ks away tbh. But anyone who has could you tell me how quiet or loud is Stella? - I get the feeling she is a bit more softly softly that the other girls perhaps, from what I see on the TV - and the reason I say this is how many good spots she gets to but isn't used.

Every player in every team is different - anyone who has played knows the dynamic can be hard to find in a game early on. Players are used to certain players, and when you are young to boot, that goes double.

They will be reviewing footage and there will be plenty of "why didn't we use Stella" in that situation? It'll come, the confidence, the preparedness. At least she is getting to good spots - cos we had/have a few that can't even do that!

Lets not forget that the Vic draftees have had a tough couple of years, hardly playing any footy due to COVID.

We all want the new recruits to have an impact like Ellie McK but the reality is that the top couple will make their mark early and the rest will take some time. That's actually a good thing as it means that the competition is improving and its harder for newbies. This will make them better players.

There are no mugs in Melbourne's backline either. Tarrant, Colvin, Birch, Goldrick and Daisy (when she is there) are seasoned footballers now. Add to that a string of quality mids who get back and help out. Tough gig for newbie.

Stella isn't a McKenzie or a Prespakis or a Rowbottom but I think she is tracking just fine.

Wakefield injury is a big out. She is a huge experienced presence for that team and she is an important target going forward and creates a great contest.

Will add a lot more workload on Brennan.

I was actually surprised by Dargan - was dreading her role to be honest but I thought she was OK without being among the best or anything silly like that.

D'arcy and Shevlin I think will team up brilliantly after half a dozen games together - they really have the scope to complement each other. We are probably too big down back when you also add Rebecca and Harry - with Jess Hosking being the likely drive by. I'd like to add Dempsey somehow to that back 5 to be a go-to coming out of the back line because she has very neat disposal. We have to stop it pinging back again. 2c worth

Dargan is a better player than what she showed last year. Sometimes stuff happens that doesn’t allow you to be at your best.

What has Wakefield injured? She has been one of our most consistent performers over our few seasons so far.

Had her arm in a sling.

Unfortunately it looks like she'll miss a chunk. Doesn't look great at all.

Got anything good to offer -am genuinely looking forward to reading it? We all want players to jump off the page - would have been great to get a Rowbottom or others, but Reid will be OK. Have you been to a game yet? - I haven't, bit hard from 2000ks away tbh. But anyone who has could you tell me how quiet or loud is Stella? - I get the feeling she is a bit more softly softly that the other girls perhaps, from what I see on the TV - and the reason I say this is how many good spots she gets to but isn't used.

Every player in every team is different - anyone who has played knows the dynamic can be hard to find in a game early on. Players are used to certain players, and when you are young to boot, that goes double.

They will be reviewing footage and there will be plenty of "why didn't we use Stella" in that situation? It'll come, the confidence, the preparedness. At least she is getting to good spots - cos we had/have a few that can't even do that!

Sorry I am obviously mistaken. I had thought this was a forum to discuss AFLW issues?

so it looks like we have to unleash our secret weapon, Akec Makur-Chuot at FF?
she's got the height, good kick, speed, but can she mark the ball?
...you taking the piss outta me?
😏

Look, theres no doubt Wakefield is a competitive beast and can compete in the air, I love the way she plays.
I think KB is best on the move between 30 and 60 out and Wakefield gas been great outve the square.
Thing is though she doesnt kick that many goals.
Mon Conti kicked her first last week. Lavey kicked two, thats where we are gonna get 12-15 shots at goal not from “The Bear in the Square” so to speak. And we need to get more than 12 shots at goal to be a chance.
Akec is 178 and defensively minded...
I think thats a good start.

Wakefield has only kicked 12 goals in her career.
We need to keep their best spoiler away from KB.

Sorry I am obviously mistaken. I had thought this was a forum to discuss AFLW issues?

No need to be sorry, you got that bit right! As I said, looking forward to anything good there is to be offered.

...you taking the piss outta me?
😏

Look, theres no doubt Wakefield is a competitive beast and can compete in the air, I love the way she plays.
I think KB is best on the move between 30 and 60 out and Wakefield gas been great outve the square.
Thing is though she doesnt kick that many goals.
Mon Conti kicked her first last week. Lavey kicked two, thats where we are gonna get 12-15 shots at goal not from “The Bear in the Square” so to speak. And we need to get more than 12 shots at goal to be a chance.
Akec is 178 and defensively minded...
I think thats a good start.

Wakefield has only kicked 12 goals in her career.
We need to keep their best spoiler away from KB.

It's a real dilemma isn't it! There is just no one even remotely likely. It will be fascinating to see what we rob.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a real dilemma isn't it! There is just no one even remotely likely. It will be fascinating to see what we rob.

It will be fascinating to see what we rob.
yeah may be Shevlin?
Akec & Shevlin are the only options i can come up with
someone that at least can compete & get it to the ground, not be out marked

i'm not confident on say Stahl or Bernardi being able to do the job
interesting dilemma

Unless my eyes are deceiving me on insta , looks like Jess hosking will be an OUT with a bug shoulder ,,,farrrrrrrrrk.

nah that photo was from the praccy match, she says in the post
"miraculous recovery! This happened a few weeks ago"
"this was a couple weeks ago it’s still all good since"

yeah may be Shevlin?

interesting dilemma

Akec is ok when she is led to the ball but making the play as a forward? Have my doubts.

Don't rule out D'Arcy. Very successful key forward at the Pies. Goal scorer and tackle numbers and contested work just as strong on the Pie forward line as it has been in defence for the Tigers.

Sure we rob some quality from our backline but need to kick a score to win.

yeah may be Shevlin?

interesting dilemma
I’d much rather Molan back in than akec she is too capable of bad turnovers and simple unforced errors .

Akec is ok when she is led to the ball but making the play as a forward? Have my doubts.

Don't rule out D'Arcy. Very successful key forward at the Pies. Goal scorer and tackle numbers and contested work just as strong on the Pie forward line as it has been in defence for the Tigers.

Sure we rob some quality from our backline but need to kick a score to win.
I’d much rather Molan back in than akec she is too capable of bad turnovers and simple unforced errors .

but Akec would be in the fwd line, how bad could she go?
i'm not saying she should go full Robbie Muir (Saints mad man), but she could be aggressive & physical up there
give our cumbers a look at it

i'm not keen on moving D'Arcy up fwd, too important for us down back, missed her interception & composure versus Dees

Akec aint going to get a gig in the backline or midfield, why not re-invent her as a fwd
CW isn't going to be around for too much longer, surely worth a try, at least see if Akec shows something up fwd

Last edited:
Lets not forget that the Vic draftees have had a tough couple of years, hardly playing any footy due to COVID.

We all want the new recruits to have an impact like Ellie McK but the reality is that the top couple will make their mark early and the rest will take some time. That's actually a good thing as it means that the competition is improving and its harder for newbies. This will make them better players.

There are no mugs in Melbourne's backline either. Tarrant, Colvin, Birch, Goldrick and Daisy (when she is there) are seasoned footballers now. Add to that a string of quality mids who get back and help out. Tough gig for newbie.

Stella isn't a McKenzie or a Prespakis or a Rowbottom but I think she is tracking just fine.
Ellie Mc will be a generational player ,they don’t come about ea year we were blessed. Both Reid and Yassir look very much juniors amongst seniors to me , I won’t expect a heck of a lot this season from either . Millzy has shown a glimpse here and their that has prompted some hype , still early days for mine

Last edited:
yeah may be Shevlin?

interesting dilemma
D’Arcy is a solid size , maybe an option then again they may just use stahl deep and keep the defence bolstered with D’Arcy cordner and Shevlin

but Akec would be in the fwd line, how bad could she go?
i'm not saying she should go full Robbie Muir (Saints mad man), but she could be aggressive & physical up there
give our cumbers a look at it

i'm not keen on moving D'Arcy up fwd, too important for us down back, missed her interception & composure versus Dees

Akec aint going to get a gig in the backline or midfield, why not re-invent her as a fwd
CW isn't going to be around for too much longer, surely worth a try, at least see if Akec shows something up fwd

For me the reality is it ain't gonna matter much who we use the week, as long as it doesn't get ugly. I just don't see Akec there - no poise, ability to read the flight is average - she is a spoiler and ground baller.

I would call D'arcy and Cordner locks for a solid backline. Not sure I would mess with that for this game. I guess they may just go with.....:think:, what did someone on here call her - Trampoline **** (quote unquote) - Christina Bernardi. She has been greatly improved this season, more mobile, good reader of the ball. Accept a smaller forward line and try and make that a threat somehow. At least that might curb the tendency to bomb it in for a game.

Be a nice time for McKenzie to come back and rotate through there. Smarts!

For me the reality is it ain't gonna matter much who we use the week, as long as it doesn't get ugly. I just don't see Akec there - no poise, ability to read the flight is average - she is a spoiler and ground baller.

I would call D'arcy and Cordner locks for a solid backline. Not sure I would mess with that for this game. I guess they may just go with.....:think:, what did someone on here call her - Trampoline **** (quote unquote) - Christina Bernardi. She has been greatly improved this season, more mobile, good reader of the ball. Accept a smaller forward line and try and make that a threat somehow. At least that might curb the tendency to bomb it in for a game.

Be a nice time for McKenzie to come back and rotate through there. Smarts!
Yep Bernadi or stahl deep , maintain the strong defence structure and we ll be in a lot of games

Wonder if McKenzie’s calf is good enough to be plonked in the goal square with the express condition that she’s not to leave the forward 50

Alotve positives from that game.

Two things I noticed,
1. Just how much bigger Melbourne looked across the ground, bigger, taller bodies.

Was standing at the Brunton Ave end of the ground when Melb were doing their warm up and I thought exactly the same thing. Also how bloody fit they looked.

If they can keep their players on the ground they are going to be hard to top this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back