Preview Richmond V Melbourne Rd 6- Anzac Eve - Sunday 7.25 PM. Premierships, Politics and Pension plans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Morning All,

It’s 1964. Melbourne, the Colossus of the VFL, are playing Hawthorn at Glenferrie Oval. It’s the 68-minute mark of the last quarter, and Melbourne trail by 2 points. If they lose, Melbourne (the Colossus of the VFL) will probably miss finals.

In a last, desperate forward attack, Melbourne HFF Hassa Mann, throws the ball onto his boot and watches it sail goalward, approximately forward, in the direction of Platform 3 at Glenferrie Station. Goal umpire, Barry from Brunswick, is about to call ‘Yours!’ to the boundary ump, when a voice from the crowd behind him reminds him that he’s 4 weeks behind in his rent, his Granny’s flat is up for repossession, the Sheltered Workshop For The Blind where Barry spends his time during the week could be fore-closed at any moment, - but nevertheless, a solution to all these problems is possible, depending on what Barry does in the next 5 seconds. Barry ponders.

To the consternation of most at the ground, Barry signals ‘Goal!’, the siren blows, and the 4.47 train for Ringwood pulls away with a football in the guards van. A few upsets the following week, and by a miracle, Melbourne (the Colossus of the AFL) go from outsiders to top of the ladder and proceed to saunter their way through the finals to an inevitable flag. The world rolls on and the VFL continues its measured, stately progress. All is well. Melbourne fans are happy.

1650278988178.jpeg
Happy Melbourne Fans

Then the asteroid hits. Melbourne are forced to share the MCG with Richmond.

In 1965, Richmond finish above Melbourne for the first time since 1952. Melbourne fans are not happy. In totally unrelated news, Liberal Prime Minister Bob Menzies sensationally steps down in December 1965 and is replaced by Harold Holt who promises to ‘Restore Australia to our traditional values’. In 1967, Richmond win their first flag in 24 years. Melbourne fans are still not happy. In totally unrelated news, in December 1967 Liberal Prime Minister Harold Holt sensationally disappears in a mysterious ‘swimming accident’.

1650279058978.jpeg
Unhappy Melbourne Fans

Richmond proceed to steamroll through the competition for the next 15 years, becoming the most powerful, feared, dominant club in the league, winning multiple premierships.
Melbourne meanwhile, are s**t.

After 1980, Richmond collapse into a pale, timid remnant of their previous dominance and spend the next 30-odd years being annoying, irrelevant, inconsistent, and mostly useless.
Melbourne are still s**t.

In 2017, Richmond roars back to life, annihilates the competition over the next 4 years and returns to its previous incarnation as a ravenous beast, feasting on the bloody carcasses of its victims.
Melbourne (surprise) are still s**t.

2021 – I got nothing. I’m still confused about what happened last year. It’s not just me, either. My distantly related, Demon-supporting, many-times removed cousin, Montgomery Rutherford-Smythe Smythe-Wallaby, says he hasn’t felt this level of euphoria since he unloaded his HIH shares two days before its unexpected collapse. Oh, sure, Melbourne are acting like any reigning premier, destroying the opposition, selling overpriced premiership tat, and their fans are doing their best to be obnoxious to enemy supporters, but no one really minds because – and I’m not sure exactly how to put this – Melbourne don’t matter. They’ve never had a rivalry with anyone (not even a media-created one) they’ve never had a passionate supporter base, and they’ve never done anything to cause any animosity from an opposition. But – here they are, kings of the hill and good on them, I guess. Melbourne fans are happy.

1650279010537.jpeg
Happy Melbourne Fans

Anyway - onto the game!

Melbourne and Richmond, despite being neighbours for over 100 years and co-tenants for nearly 60, don’t have much in common. No one talks about ‘The MCG Derby’, we’ve only ever played each other in a single finals series (way back in 1940), and despite an ongoing business of trading duds, has-beens and assorted crocks to one another, we just don’t care enough to develop any rancor. They are Melbourne, we are Richmond. Nothing signifies our differences more than the way we reacted to the threat of going broke in the 1990s. While Richmond rattled tins, knocked on doors, and begged supporters for their last few dollars, Melbourne identified their most successful competitor and launched a hostile leveraged corporate boardroom takeover, that was only foiled by the then Liberal State Premier being a Hawthorn fan. In totally unrelated news, the Liberal State Premier sensationally lost the next ‘un-loseable’ election and spent the rest of his days desperately investigating depression treatments and talking to golliwogs.

1650279058978.jpeg
Unhappy Melbourne Fans

This week is our now traditional Anzac-Eve clash (which dates all the way back to 2015). It will therefore be quite a solemn occasion, at least until the ball is bounced and the game degenerates into a laugh-fest as Melbourne toy with the insipid Tigers who are merely a sad shadow of their recent premiership-winning resplendency. Melbourne should comfortably cruise to a percentage-boosting win, spending the last quarter or so resting their old players for sterner tests to come (old???? Ha-bloody-ha!).

1650279159074.jpeg
Richmond Captains run

Unless ……….
Look, Richmond still have some spark in them and have the ability to produce the occasional decent performance. They comfortably spanked one of last year’s grand finalists a couple of weeks ago (admittedly the Bulldogs are a bunch of front-running squibs that are intimidated by low-flying butterflies, and the Mighty Tigers followed that up with a dismal effort against a bottom-4 side last week), but nevertheless even a good team faces us with some trepidation waiting to see which version of the Tiggy/Tigers turns up. If Jack Riewoldt (57) can wind the clock back (a long way, admittedly), if Trent Cotchin (74) and Shane Edwards (97) haven’t completely crocked themselves playing their best games for the season, if Bolton, Baker, and Balta can do a few bits of magic and, most importantly, if Nank can do something to neutralize Gawn (Shotgun? Bear trap? ICBM?) we might spring an almighty surprise.

Probably not, though. Tigers to lose gallantly by 47 pts. Melbourne fans will be happy.
1650279030311.jpeg

Stack, MRJ and Lambert in for Parker, Ralphmsith and Ross.

Soldo probably needs to come in to help Nank take on Jackson and Gawn too. May and Lever are key to their game plan. Quell their intercept influence and were a chance. Might even be worth having Balta play as a defensive forward on May. Be nice if Dimma would send someone to run with Petracca but we know that won't happen.

You don’t enter any contest worrying about whether you are good enough or they are too good. Just compete like fury, make yourself and your team unpleasant to play against, and if you see fingers on the ground, stomp on them and screw them into the turf….and then pray they don’t belong to one of your team-mates, or an umpire.

Melbourne are a good team but they will play poorly enough at times this season that our best will beat them. We have weapons. Any team with the sort of weaponry we have can win. We can win.

Changes for the Dees:

IN: Lambert, Stack, Gibcus, Soldo, McIntosh.
OUT: Parker, Ralphsmith, Miller, Ross, Edwards (rested and Aarts given the Aarse! )

BacksJosh GibcusRobbie TarrantNathan Broad
Half-BacksJayden ShortNick VlastuinDaniel Rioli
CentrelineKamden McChroniclesTrent CotchinMarlion Pickett
Half-ForwardsKane LambertLiam BakerSydney Stack
ForwardsTom LynchShai BoltonNoah Balta
FollowersToby NankervisDion PrestiaThomson Dow
Interchange:Jack RiewoldtJack GrahamJohn Soldo
Jason Castagna
Vest Boy:Shane Edwards

My reasons are pretty simple. Gibcus is the future star of our backline Miller is still a question mark? Parker is too much of a butcher and Kamden has him covered. Ross I don't rate too highly and makes way for Lambert. Soldo is a must as these bastards have 2 gun ruckman and we need to physically beat their ruckman up within the rules of the game. Edwards is old and needs a rest so Stackman gets his shot at redemption and his physicality is required to keep their backmen honest. We need to try something or the dees will just roll over us. I'd leave Lynch and Baker in the forward 50 to take away May's strength. I'd even try Pickett to tag that fat dusty wannabe can't think of his name? The loser off the cash converters ad? I hope they don't play Ben Brown as the umpires gift him 3 goals every time we play him for lesser things that our forwards cop week in week out.

The AFL have screwed us again as next Friday we have the Eagles in Perth off a 5 day turnaround (couldn't have at least scheduled it on the Saturday night??? This is becoming a regular thing i've noticed).
We can rest some of our older players for that game. Nic Nat is out for months so Nank can have a spell, as should Cotchin, Tarrant and Rewoldt as it's a long season and a long flight for their arthritis and haemorrhoids to flare up so the old codgers can put their feet up for the week, whilst some kids get a taste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t enter any contest worrying about whether you are good enough or they are too good. Just compete like fury, make yourself and your team unpleasant to play against, and if you see fingers on the ground, stomp on them and screw them into the turf….and then pray they don’t belong to one of your team-mates, or an umpire.

Melbourne are a good team but they will play poorly enough at times this season that our best will beat them. We have weapons. Any team with the sort of weaponry we have can win. We can win.
Mate what weapons most fans are out with Covid.:p

Can we just skip this game ?

Only chance we win this is if half the dee's players become close contacts and have to isolate

Dee's 50 points :'(
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you my feelings exact. I fear this game may turn really ugly and this board will light up.

Penciled this one down for the win.

1. Black shorts.
2. Yellow sash.
3. Umps will need to even one up.
4. Cocksure Melbourne due for a loss, and Tigers have been known to knock off the undefeated.

5. Main reason is demon wife needs knocking down a peg.

I've missed our traditional Anzac eve night out and win, and the subsequent rubbing of it in for our night out in the city. Stack to shine again.

Got to have mrj in atleast make the demon defenders hurry their kicks out of defence
Our mids are going to be up against it
So we need to pressure them in our forward half, their attacks are beating sides using langdon on the wing so we can't afford to let them waltz out of defence , if we are going to continue with balta, Jack, lynch forward
We need some quick smalls to put pressure on the demon defence
Last year they killed us coming out of defence
When our key forwards didn't mark it

Last edited:
Just have a red hot crack and hopefully get the forward line functioning better than last week, if they play well and overpower us so be it, if not there is always a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back