AFLW Richmond v North Melbourne Saturday February 12 2.10pm Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely this week we get back Meagan Kiely, Christina Bernardi & promote are secret weapon Akec Makur-Chuot against Lolnorf
Burchell & McClelland out thru injury, drop Stahl

Anyone hear what is happening with Sophie Lock? Surely if she could play in a praccy match we are a chance to player her now.......

Anyone hear what is happening with Sophie Lock? Surely if she could play in a praccy match we are a chance to player her now.......

not 100% sure

on the RFC website, the only elevated players we have are
Bethany Lynch
Akayla Peterson
and Meg Macdonald

Sophie Locke's not elevated as far as i know

not 100% sure

on the RFC website, the only elevated players we have are
Bethany Lynch
Akayla Peterson
and Meg Macdonald

Sophie Locke's not elevated as far as i know

Correct. Sophie is a train-on player but can't be selected unless she officially becomes a replacement player.

Correct. Sophie is a train-on player but can't be selected unless she officially becomes a replacement player.

Think we might have a couple players she can legitimately replace?

1644362250559.png

We currently have 33 Listed on the website including Akalya Peterson whom we have not heard of or seen.

McLaren, Cordner and Ross are all Long Term injuries.

These appear to have been joined by Burchell and McLelland. Our Primary list is down to 25 plus McDonald, Lynch and Peterson (?)

Wakefield might make it back for the last game - 24 plus 2?

Dempsey, Bernardi and Houtsma are players requiring a Test - potentially 21 plus 2?

Now is not a good time to get some Covid protocols is it?

Last edited:
Our game changed to 2.10pm

UPDATED ROUND 6 FIXTURE

(all game times local)

Friday, February 11

Gold Coast Suns v Geelong Cats Metricon Stadium (Qld) 6.10pm

Saturday, February 12

Richmond v North Melbourne Punt Road Oval (Vic) 2.10pm

Melbourne v GWS GIANTS Casey Fields (Vic) 4.10pm

Fremantle v Carlton Fremantle Oval (WA) 3.10pm

Sunday, February 13

St. Kilda v Brisbane Lions Trevor Barker Oval (Vic) 1.10pm

West Coast Eagles v Collingwood Mineral Resources Park (WA) 12.10pm

Adelaide Crows v Western Bulldogs Norwood Oval (SA) 4.40pm

When you consider the quality of players that Nth can rotate through the midfield we are short of at least 2 quality mids. Grace Campbell who left us for Nth can't even make the side. Given the talent at their disposal from year 1 they have underachieved. This year they are smashing it. Only loss was against ladder leading Crows in Adelaide.

Here is what they think of the match against us.

Beware the wounded Tiger? Four questions ahead of Kangaroos v Richmond​

The burning questions ahead of Saturday's clash at the Swinburne Centre
By Dan Woods - North Media

Should the Kangaroos beware the wounded Tiger?​

Richmond lost Hannah Burchell (knee) and Laura McClelland (ankle) in last week's loss to the Bulldogs, adding to a mounting injury list that already features key players Harriet Cordner (knee) and Courtney Wakefield (shoulder).

That would appear to leave the Tigers up against it on Saturday, but their performances so far this season against quality opposition suggest this could be a banana peel match for the Roos.

After demolishing St Kilda in Round 1, two of Richmond’s most convincing performances have come against Melbourne and Fremantle, both of whom currently hold spots in the top three. With scores of 38 against the Demons and 44 against the Dockers, they registered the two largest losing scores by any team so far this season.

While the Tigers may sit 1-4, they will be no easy beats for North.

Will the Roos revive their goalkicking radar?​

While the Kangaroos looked comfortable for large parts of the game against Fremantle last week, their struggles in front of goal kept the Dockers in the game for far longer than they should have been.

Eight consecutive behinds followed the Kangaroos' opening goal in blustery conditions in Hobart, continuing to a run of inaccurate returns in front of the sticks. The Kangaroos have kicked 24 goals and 37 behinds this season at an average of 0.65 goals kicked per point, lower than the league average of 0.77.

The Roos might be able to take some inspiration from the Tigers, who are at the opposite end of the spectrum for goalkicking accuracy. Despite kicking just 1.7 in last week’s loss to the Western Bulldogs, they’ve kicked 29.19 for the season, at an average of 1.53 goals per behind.

Who do the Tigers tag?​

Ash Riddell has been putting together an exceptional season in 2022. As of the mid-point of the season she currently sits tied for first place in the race to be named AFLCA Champion Player of the Year.

While Riddell has been the player to stand up most frequently for North’s midfield this season, Mia King is putting together the best season of her young career, and Jenna Bruton’s move back inside off the wing has brought the best out of her this campaign.

Those performances, coupled with Jas Garner’s return to her brilliant best against the Dockers provides Richmond with a match-up headache, and the question of how to contain all the Kangaroos’ midfield threats.

Can the Tigers rediscover their forward firepower?​

Richmond have scored a whopping 193 points in their five matches - the fourth most of any team in AFLW this season, and 12 more points than the Kangaroos.

However, the Tigers haven’t won a game since their 10-goal haul against St Kilda in the opening round of the season, and they’ve scored fewer points in each of the last three weeks than the previous week. They scored just 13 points last week, kicking just one goal against the Western Bulldogs.

While their offensive output may have slid since the opening two weeks of the season, the evidence is there to show that Richmond is more than capable of blowing teams away in attack. It’s up to the Kangaroos’ defence to figure out how to keep the Tigers quiet.

Last edited:
A damning stat that has probably escaped most of us is that in 2 and a half seasons we have only ever had one solitary Rising Star nomination. Ellie McKenzie in round 5 2021.

Since our inclusion:

Carl 6
Bris 6
StK 5
WB 4
Melb 4
GC 3
Freo 2
WC 2
Geel 2
Nth 2
GWS 1
Coll 1
Adel 1

Its not like we haven't had players who fit the criteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A damning stat that has probably escaped most of us is that in 2 and a half seasons we have only ever had one solitary Rising Star nomination. Ellie McKenzie in round 5 2021.

Since our inclusion:

Carl 6
Bris 6
StK 5
WB 4
Melb 4
GC 3
Freo 2
WC 2
Geel 2
Nth 2
GWS 1
Coll 1
Adel 1

Its not like we haven't had players who fit the criteria.
Makes you wonder why Lord of the Wings wasn't right across that - it's his sort of stat - doesn't make us wonder much though ;)

This game is almost like a free hit.
Never expected to win anyway.
Why not bring in Akayla Peterson if she is fit and ready to go.
2021 Carlton VFLW B & F as a key forward. Yes big jump from VFLW to AFLW but no point adding a mature key forward to our playing list and not giving her a try when our forward line is crying out for one.
Must have seen something in her to add her to the list in the first place surely.

2021 Carlton VFLW B & F as a key forward. Yes big jump from VFLW to AFLW but no point adding a mature key forward to our playing list and not giving her a try when our forward line is crying out for one.
Must have seen something in her to add her to the list in the first place surely.

to be fair she's a mid first, rather than a key forward as such at 176 cm

from the blues web site after she won the B&F

“Coming from a high-performance netball background, Akayla hit the ground running and had an immediate impact with her athleticism, allowing her to run rings around any opposition and clean ball handling enabling her to be one of the cleanest players around the contest,”

"Arguably the find of the year for Carlton, Peterson offered plenty of forward drive across her 10 games.
She was stationed mostly out on the wing and enjoyed stints up forward, running all day and causing headaches for the opposition with her speed."

she kicked 5 goals in 10 games
but yeah, why not

Akayla Peterson.png

Last edited:

“Coming from a high-performance netball background, Akayla hit the ground running and had an immediate impact with her athleticism, allowing her to run rings around any opposition and clean ball handling enabling her to be one of the cleanest players around the contest,”

"Arguably the find of the year for Carlton, Peterson offered plenty of forward drive across her 10 games.
She was stationed mostly out on the wing and enjoyed stints up forward, running all day and causing headaches for the opposition with her speed."

but yeah, why not

View attachment 1325929

Fair enough. Listed on our website as a key forward so assumed she was.

Don't think midfield in AFLW will be her go. Too big a jump.

Fair enough. Listed on our website as a key forward so assumed she was.

Don't think midfield in AFLW will be her go. Too big a jump.

yeah saw her listed as key forward on our website as well, maybe that's what we see her as?

interesting she's only taken up footy seriously last year after playing for the Cairns AFL women's for only 2 years
might be worth a crack as a mature bodied mobile fwd

she's joined Port Melbourne this year, so maybe we want a closer look at her? (Borough are pretty wrapped to get her as well)

after reading the article below, i see who recommended her to us ;)

December 7, 2020 · AFL Cairns Women's Football Club

Congratulations Akayla Peterson

What a stellar year athlete Akayla Peterson has had, winning a Netball Premiership on a Wednesday then Captaining the Cairns Saints Women to a Premiership on the Saturday, just four days apart.

To top off the victories Peterson won Most Valuable Player and Best on Ground in her performances for both codes.

Fast forward four weeks later and Peterson has been signed with the Carlton Football Club to play in the VFLW next season!

We asked Akayla how it all transpired?

“I used to play State League netball with good friend Jess Hosking who is playing AFLW, I reached out to her and advised I was interested in taking my football to the next level.

Jess connected me with the Carlton list manager the very same day.

A few other Clubs had made offers from the Gold Coast region and Victoria, but Carlton presented a contract straight up.”

Peterson also said “feeling really excited as this year I didn’t train much for football as netball clashed at the same time as football training.

At an elite level you get extensive training, and I can see where my skills can go.”

We have seen the modest 26-year-old in action who has only been playing football for two years and we know she has got a great football journey ahead of her.

Saturday, February 12​

Richmond v North Melbourne at the Swinburne Centre, 2.10pm AEDT

RICHMOND

B: S.D'Arcy 12 R.Miller 15
HB: A.Makur Chuot 34 J.Hosking 11 K.Dempsey 19
C: T.Lavey 37 S.Hosking 7 M.Shevlin 35
HF: B.Lynch 32 M.Brancatisano 5 E.Yassir 27
F: E.McKenzie 22 G.Seymour 28
Foll: P.Kelly 14 K.Brennan C 3 M.Conti 4
I/C: S.Sansonetti 18 T.Stahl 24 M.Kiely 31 M.Macdonald 38 K.Jacques 10

Emerg: S.Molan 1 S.Dargan 17

In: A.Makur Chuot, M.Kiely
Out: L.McClelland (injured), H.Burchell (injured)

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: J.Ferguson 20 S.Wright 17
HB: B.Brown 36 E.Kearney C 9 A.Gilroy 8
C: N.Bresnehan 12 J.Bruton 35 I.Eddey 3
HF: A.O'Loughlin 6 E.King 60 E.Gavalas 22
F: T.Randall 16 S.Abbatangelo 1
Foll: K.Rennie 26 J.Garner 25 A.Riddell 7
I/C: D.Bateman 11 D.Bannister 2 M.King 23 A.Smith 15 J.Duffin 27

Emerg: T.Craven 5 G.Campbell 43

No changes

Was thinking similar today while driving. Then I thought, maybe it is too big an ask to get one shot at it in a game that may not be the best game to see what you have got. Imagine if MegMac was judged on that first game only, one touch and free against. We might never have seen some of that burst in traffic she showed she might actually have........

We have only added 3 train-ons that I can count - can look at a couple more? If Locke is one, now would be pretty good time you would think after she didn't disgrace herself in the praccy match - maybe she and Peterson are not quite right fitness wise - just be nice to see or hear something.

but yeah, why not

View attachment 1325929
Have you watched any vision of her playing Stanley? Not the most fluent footballer, but she's OK. Still like to see her get a run and see what she can make happen. Half the interest would be just knowing if she is even training......

Saturday, February 12​

Richmond v North Melbourne at the Swinburne Centre, 2.10pm AEDT

RICHMOND

B: S.D'Arcy 12 R.Miller 15
HB: A.Makur Chuot 34 J.Hosking 11 K.Dempsey 19
C: T.Lavey 37 S.Hosking 7 M.Shevlin 35
HF: B.Lynch 32 M.Brancatisano 5 E.Yassir 27
F: E.McKenzie 22 G.Seymour 28
Foll: P.Kelly 14 K.Brennan C 3 M.Conti 4
I/C: S.Sansonetti 18 T.Stahl 24 M.Kiely 31 M.Macdonald 38 K.Jacques 10

Emerg: S.Molan 1 S.Dargan 17

In: A.Makur Chuot, M.Kiely
Out: L.McClelland (injured), H.Burchell (injured)

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: J.Ferguson 20 S.Wright 17
HB: B.Brown 36 E.Kearney C 9 A.Gilroy 8
C: N.Bresnehan 12 J.Bruton 35 I.Eddey 3
HF: A.O'Loughlin 6 E.King 60 E.Gavalas 22
F: T.Randall 16 S.Abbatangelo 1
Foll: K.Rennie 26 J.Garner 25 A.Riddell 7
I/C: D.Bateman 11 D.Bannister 2 M.King 23 A.Smith 15 J.Duffin 27

Emerg: T.Craven 5 G.Campbell 43

No changes

Here is some motivation to Stahl the Darl - think I'd rather have Dargan in the team - I did it with Sansonetti and she found form, can I do it again? Now I just need TM2 to tell how wrong I am to complete the challenge :whistle:
;)

Have you watched any vision of her playing Stanley? Not the most fluent footballer, but she's OK. Still like to see her get a run and see what she can make happen. Half the interest would be just knowing if she is even training......

have only seen her B&F highlights from Blues web site
she goes O.K, for someone in her 1st full time year playing footy, can mark, has a bit of speed, maybe something to work with

i would assume she's getting game time in the Boroughs praccy matches as Akec has been

this is the only pic i have showing her training, from recent RFC instagram pics
she's behind J.Hosking
Peterson behind Hocking.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back