AFLW Richmond v North Melbourne Saturday February 12 2.10pm Swinburne Centre

Can’t let the GAMEDAY thread go by without acknowledging how bloody awesome Gabby Seymour was today.
Has been super this year.
Yes you know how good she was when Poppy Kelly struggled to match it in the Ruck but Gabby found a way when she went in there. Plus what she does around the ground - oh that we are every good enough to allow Gabby to play on the ball and take the Comp apart!

Teams are lining up for our players believing they've been poorly coached and our fitness staff have failed to get them up to aflw level

Clubs might be lining up, but the great things about a great Club culture is a sense of belonging, a shared journey and belief. I'll back us in to have enough of that going on to cause that sort of scuttlebutt to remain scuttlebutt for the most part. Just because you can line up doesn't mean you are entitled!

59Stanley

Club Legend
May 14, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
That Stahl wasn’t a high draft pick was she ? Every time I’ve seen her she has been woeful but the commentary is that she’s a forward 50 jet ?!?!?!

That Stahl wasn’t a high draft pick was she ? Every time I’ve seen her she has been woeful but the commentary is that she’s a forward 50 jet ?!?!?!

She was a VFLW pre listing so we didn’t use any draft picks for her.

Yep poppy only 1p too , How the heck did nm build such a formidable squad they’re the outlier for any of the expansion clubs

I reckon it would be really difficult for a player like Poppy to miss 4/5 weeks with a leg injury and then come straight back into AFLW. Ideally you’d like to give them a week or two in the VFLW first but with the AFLW/VFLW timing a bit out and such a short AFLW season it makes it tough.

Straight into the thick of it against Celine Moody last week and Rennie and King this week was a tough ask also.

I reckon it would be really difficult for a player like Poppy to miss 4/5 weeks with a leg injury and then come straight back into AFLW. Ideally you’d like to give them a week or two in the VFLW first but with the AFLW/VFLW timing a bit out and such a short AFLW season it makes it tough.

Straight into the thick of it against Celine Moody last week and Rennie and King this week was a tough ask also.
She struggled but I doubt anyone expected her to win the Ruck against that company - still learning the craft and how her body can impact on the role. The great thing she provides whether she wins or not, is more flexibility for Gabby - that alone is a win if Poppy can get close to breaking even. Against North she didn't, but we still had that flexibility. Aim for win / win - so we got lose / win this week - let's see what the future weeks bring.

She was a VFLW pre listing so we didn’t use any draft picks for her.
Do you recall how many pre-lists we were entitled to and did it mean we couldn't pre-list someone else? Not looking at doing a LotW, just intrigued. You win some, you lose some.......

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Yea I’m not critical of her efforts just the contribution we got from a few players

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
She struggled but I doubt anyone expected her to win the Ruck against that company - still learning the craft and how her body can impact on the role. The great thing she provides whether she wins or not, is more flexibility for Gabby - that alone is a win if Poppy can get close to breaking even. Against North she didn't, but we still had that flexibility. Aim for win / win - so we got lose / win this week - let's see what the future weeks bring.
Really tall side nm , like a bunch of basket ballers

Do you recall how many pre-lists we were entitled to and did it mean we couldn't pre-list someone else? Not looking at doing a LotW, just intrigued. You win some, you lose some.......

We could only have 10

Burchell
Wakefield
Stahl
Edmonds
Campbell
Makur Chuot
Miller
Seymour
Jacques
Woodward

At the time of the pre listings the only name that really got thrown up by others was Grace Egan so that is one we did genuinely miss.

Last edited:
We could only have 10

Burchell
Wakefield
Stahl
Edmonds
Campbell
Makur Chuot
Miller
Seymour
Jacques
Woodward

At the time of the pre listings the only name that really got thrown up by others was Grace Egan so that is one we did genuinely miss.

Thanks for that TM2. 10 is a few more than I thought - was Jacques a pre-list, thought she may have been a draftee. That we still have 7 of those 10 three years on is intriguing too really. Three big wins in Wakefield (slightly marked down by age for some), Seymour and Miller. So a three year 30% strike rate on hits and a 30% attrition. Be interesting to see how that would would compare to the other new Clubs of our day.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Yea I don’t get the raps she gets , has always looked below the std too me , occasionally theball has bounced her way but any other time she has to navigate thru traffic and contest ,,,utterly hopeless

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Good analysis TM , we been a bit stiff this year losing qty senior players and it’s cost us a w or two that would have had us thereabouts . The comp has an enormous challenge looming with new entrants as its already lopsided. The draw will need to be biased with fixtures in our own weight div while lists balance and if top 4 clubs lose players FFS they don’t get no 1 pick in return

Thank you very much TM2 - agree, probably deserves it's own thread otherwise this may well be dragged into every other game thread arguments going forward.

So yes, Nth nailed it didn't they - but weren't they before our entry? 2 AFLW seasons? We are most comparable to StK, WestCoast, Gold Coast aren't we from a timing perspective.

North had only 5 draft picks (least) compared to our 13 draft picks (most) from that table above - were the opportunities the same do you think?

When you look at that Overall 2019 draft again - not a lot of names jump out at you - talent very low based on player results so far. Here are our our picks - underwhelming to say the least:

View attachment 1328187

Done. I've created a new thread and transferred my post there. Perhaps others can do the same? Could go a few pages this topic.

Back