MCG , 1:10pm AEST Sunday, August 18, 2019

RICHMOND
B: David Astbury, Nathan Broad, Dylan Grimes
HB: Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Jayden Short
C: Brandon Ellis, Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy
HF: Daniel Rioli, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert
F: Jack Graham, Tom J. Lynch, Jack Riewoldt
FOL: Toby Nankervis, Shane Edwards, Dustin Martin
I/C: Jack Ross, Shai Bolton, Jake Aarts, Mabior Chol, Sydney Stack, Ivan Soldo, Liam Baker, Marlion Pickett (Four to be omitted)
IN: Dustin Martin, Jake Aarts, Ivan Soldo, Marlion Pickett
NEW: Jake Aarts, Marlion Pickett
MILESTONES: Nathan Broad - Playing 50th game

WEST COAST EAGLES
B: Brad Sheppard, Tom Barrass, Will Schofield
HB: Shannon Hurn, Jeremy McGovern, Lewis Jetta
C: Jack Redden, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed
HF: Willie Rioli, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan
F: Jamie Cripps, Josh J. Kennedy, Oscar Allen
FOL: Tom Hickey, Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff
I/C: Jake Waterman, Chris Masten, Nathan Vardy, Jack Petruccelle, Jackson Nelson, Mark Hutchings, Josh Rotham, Jarrod Cameron (Four to be omitted)
IN: Chris Masten, Nathan Vardy, Josh Rotham, Jarrod Cameron

Where and when: MCG, Sunday August 18, 1.10pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Richmond:
The first opportunity Richmond has had to play the reigning premiers this year. With both teams in form ahead of finals, it's a perfect opportunity to test themselves against the best.

What it means for West Coast: A perfect opportunity to play a fellow top-four team at the MCG. It'll be just the Eagles' third game for the year at the home of the Grand Final.

The stat: West Coast forward Josh Kennedy failed to take a mark last week against Adelaide for the first time in his 239-game career. He is averaging four marks a game this season, and six per match over his career.

The match-up: Jack Darling & Josh Kennedy v Jack Riewoldt & Tom Lynch

It's a battle of the heavyweight key forwards. The Tigers pair have combined for 33 goals in the eight games they've played together (average of 4.1), while the Eagles have kicked 88 goals from 18 games (average of 4.8).

636115_ll.jpg

It’s a big week for: Damien Hardwick

Richmond has selection issues aplenty, and all of the good kind. Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin are set to return to a side that's won seven games straight. The Eagles also pose one of the Tigers' biggest challenges of the year.

Big call: Luke Shuey will relish a return to the ground that yielded a Norm Smith medal, dominating the stoppages and finishing with nine clearances.

Prediction: Eagles by 13 points

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

More By Sarah Black

Last edited:
Biggest Game of the year. 1st vs 2nd doesn't change the fact this one is better.

ROAR!!!!!

A lot of our games have been in the rain or at night with slippery grounds think we’re used to it now

Your game is built on contested marking. Our game is best on frantic ball movement. You often begin forward forays from your backline (McGovern), then down the wing (Gaff) and into your dangerous forwardline. We are similar but we run it forward in waves using forward handballs. You play your best footy when your big forwards/backmen can impose themselves in the air. We play our best football at ground level, knocking it forward at all costs.

If its wet it will suit us more than you. If its dry it'll suit you more than use. Either way it'll be a cracking game. I'm looking forward to it.

Richmond by 42

Your game is built on contested marking. Our game is best on frantic ball movement. You often begin forward forays from your backline (McGovern), then down the wing (Gaff) and into your dangerous forwardline. We are similar but we run it forward in waves using forward handballs. You play your best footy when your big forwards/backmen can impose themselves in the air. We play our best football at ground level, knocking it forward at all costs.

If its wet it will suit us more than you. If its dry it'll suit you more than use. Either way it'll be a cracking game. I'm looking forward to it.

Richmond by 42
Eagles have played a lot of wet weather games this year and have won most of them so I don’t think they’re going to be too worried by another wet weather game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the game in 2017 at the MCG where we took it right up to Richmond until the second half where it started to piss down and they powered away, admittedly we were shocking inaccurate, unfortunately I fear this game will go similarly in the wet, hopefully the rain keeps the scores low to conserve percentage, in the hopes Brisbane lose against Geelong, we may still be a chance for 2nd even if we lose.

I remember the game in 2017 at the MCG where we took it right up to Richmond until the second half where it started to piss down and they powered away, admittedly we were shocking inaccurate, unfortunately I fear this game will go similarly in the wet, hopefully the rain keeps the scores low to conserve percentage, in the hopes Brisbane lose against Geelong, we may still be a chance for 2nd even if we lose.
Two totally different teams from then though

Tiges in the wet comfortably, Eagles intercept markers will be taken out of the game with Richmond’s hack kicks along the slippery surface inside 50.

Like others would have gone Eagles in the dry. Still have eagles winning the flag regardless.

Back