Remove this Banner Ad

Remember watching the 2007 preliminary final at princess park
Under 18s there knights vs cannons
, saw our future captain play there
Trent was easy best on ground by a mile
Got injured early 3rd quarter,, knights only scored
One goal after that injury
Jackson trengove played for cannons
Absolutely slaughtered ( under age that year)
Big Kruezer,, putt played for cannons as
Did McKernan, ,,,
We had pick 2 that year in draft
Blues had pick 1....
I can remember telling my nephew and niece
That if we are able to recruit Trent with our pick
We will get an absolute superstar
Even then at 17 he did things that only few can.
We got a young kid from WA that draft as well
No matter what fine eyes did over his career
Those 2 decisions were GOLD

B
Undecided whether Il go, it's a bit out of the way. Tickets still available online I think so seeing how late I can push it.

I can only really drive there, any recommendations on where to park within a 5-10 minute walk?
Barkley square shoppingcenter
Cnr Sydney rd and Barkley street
1.3 km from ground
Or jump on tram
2 stops from the shopping center

- Huge motivation. In 1904 where we took a principled stance and forfeited the Grand Final against North Melbourne because we refused to accept an insipid cheating umpire who could not follow simple objective rules throughout the finals series, Williamstown was the germ of a club that entered a 20 pound shortfall in their annual accounts that they blamed on us. This was their expected share of the gate takings had the GF gone ahead. I for one will never forget this disgraceful example of blame accounting and I have no doubt it will fire our boys on to great heights on Sunday.
You have just warmed the cockles of my historian's heart. If I was also an accountant, they'd be overheating. (WTF is a heart cockle btw? I've always wondered.)

Remember watching the 2007 preliminary final at princess park
Under 18s there knights vs cannons
, saw our future captain play there
Trent was easy best on ground by a mile
Got injured early 3rd quarter,, knights only scored
One goal after that injury
Jackson trengove played for cannons
Absolutely slaughtered ( under age that year)
Big Kruezer,, putt played for cannons as
Did McKernan, ,,,
We had pick 2 that year in draft
Blues had pick 1....
I can remember telling my nephew and niece
That if we are able to recruit Trent with our pick
We will get an absolute superstar
Even then at 17 he did things that only few can.
We got a young kid from WA that draft as well
No matter what fine eyes did over his career
Those 2 decisions were GOLD

IMO FJ is unfairly maligned around here. Yes he made mistakes, point me in the direction of a recruiter who doesn’t.

But Riewoldt, Edwards, Rance, Cotchin, Dusty, Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin are his picks, yeah some were gimmies but still got to pick them, could easily of had Sellar and Tayte Pears as Riewoldt and Rance.

You have just warmed the cockles of my historian's heart. If I was also an accountant, they'd be overheating. (WTF is a heart cockle btw? I've always wondered.)
Wonder no more....

Warm the cockles of one’s heart

To warm the cockles of one’s heart is an idiom that dates back at least to the seventeenth century.

To warm the cockles of one’s heart means to bestow a feeling of contentment, to kindle warm feelings in a person, especially of happiness and felicity. The term warm the cockles of one’s heart dates back to the mid-1600s, a time when scientific texts were often written in Latin. The Latin term cochleae cordis means ventricles of the heart, and most probably, the word cochleae was corrupted as cockles. This may have been a mistake made by the less learned, or a deliberate joke. Add in the fact that the bivalve mollusk known as a cockle is shaped somewhat like a heart, and the idea of the phrase cockles of one’s heart being more or less a joke gains credence. Related phrases are warms the cockles of one’s heart, warmed the cockles of one’s heart, warming the cockles of one’s heart.

Wonder no more....

Warm the cockles of one’s heart

To warm the cockles of one’s heart is an idiom that dates back at least to the seventeenth century.

To warm the cockles of one’s heart means to bestow a feeling of contentment, to kindle warm feelings in a person, especially of happiness and felicity. The term warm the cockles of one’s heart dates back to the mid-1600s, a time when scientific texts were often written in Latin. The Latin term cochleae cordis means ventricles of the heart, and most probably, the word cochleae was corrupted as cockles. This may have been a mistake made by the less learned, or a deliberate joke. Add in the fact that the bivalve mollusk known as a cockle is shaped somewhat like a heart, and the idea of the phrase cockles of one’s heart being more or less a joke gains credence. Related phrases are warms the cockles of one’s heart, warmed the cockles of one’s heart, warming the cockles of one’s heart.

What's it like at the ground?
Place is a mess. Brown paper bags floating all over the place. Joint Hasnt been cleaned since the 90s

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO FJ is unfairly maligned around here. Yes he made mistakes, point me in the direction of a recruiter who doesn’t.

But Riewoldt, Edwards, Rance, Cotchin, Dusty, Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin are his picks, yeah some were gimmies but still got to pick them, could easily of had Sellar and Tayte Pears as Riewoldt and Rance.

I agree, sometimes with some people's comments he ends up carrying the can for some of Greg Beck's and Greg Miller's disastrous selections.

The AGE
"Richmond's financial struggles have forced the club to make big cost-cutting in the football department, with influential football director Greg Miller compelled to take a hands-on role in recruiting next year.
Recruiting manager Greg Beck has become the latest casualty of the new broom sweeping through Richmond's football operations. Beck will finish his nine-year stint at Tigerland after the 2004 national draft.
The cash-conscious Tigers plan to go into 2004 without a recruiting manager - the position having been made redundant - meaning Miller will assume responsibility for recruiting, in addition to his other duties.
The club will be "one short" in its full-time football staff next year compared with 2004.
Having approached departing Bulldogs coach Peter Rohde about a position as an assistant coach with a dual fitness-coaching role, new coach Terry Wallace also has spoken to former Collingwood star and coaching hopeful Mick McGuane about a possible involvement at Richmond."

That said, 2005 was probably the worst draft performance I have ever seen us have, so Miller didn't exactly set us free either. Francis came on board as a part-timer in early 2005 and his influence was limited. 2006 he really hit his straps with influence and we chose Reiwoldt and Edwards. I've spoken with Francis a number of times, as I'm sure many have because he is such an approachable fella. He always said he was the most proud of the Shane Edwards selection. Whilst it took a while for Shed to come good, come good he has!!! I can still see Francis smile about that one.

There were duds, even the self congratulating Chris Pelchen had some stinkers. Coaches have an influence too especially when their own tenure starts to get shaky as it did in the last of the Wallace years.

You should know how this place operates each to their own but there are some stubborn buggers around whether it be a FJ, Ellis, Deledio, Rioli, Castagna , .. fill in the blank bit some will stick to the same thing on their favorite subject forever.

Ross & McIntosh have both been taken out of the squad.

Obviously holding them off to potentially replace Graham/stay fit incase something happens during the week.

I’m sure they’d both do anything for a chance to play in an AFL Grand Final, a big loss to the VFL team and to them personally for the potential they may not get to play in a Grand Final at all.

If McIntosh wants to play, then he’d need to have a big game today. He’d theoretically be a good replacement if Broad does not get up, but he needs to show something today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back