VFL Richmond VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep it felt like a huge step forward when we introduced it and broke that alliance with Coburg.

The enthusiasm to play for the VFL side as opposed to a team with players from both camps must be significant too.

We must really be up against the wall on our spending cap for them to make this decision.

Also bloody great to watch VFL finals last year.

The richmond vfl is great. I love it.

I don't buy it failed cause stack and cCJ went to the t***ies bar.

Afl billion upon billions where did all the money go?

I dont think it’s THE major competitive advantage However it’s been fundamental to a development program that has helped create the best depth in the comp with ready to go players , will be challenging to maintain that without our own side

Happy to be convinced otherwise but you would need to make an argument for what is our most significant competitive advantage or at least state what you think it is.

Now don't believe a word of this,first it's a soft cap,so instead of making a extra 3-5 million in profit,you can easily go over the softcap and just pay the AFL tax,so your over by a million and that cost you 300 000 in softcap tax,big deal ,if it keeps vfl program ,as money has still got to get used when we are a non profit organization.

Happy to be convinced otherwise but you would need to make an argument for what is our most significant competitive advantage or at least state what you think it is.
Coaching resource
recruitimg resource
Players
Are all at a level that levers a comparative advantage , the vfl program in itself isnt an advantage. I do believe it’s beneficial in development but still with the above resources intact we remain advantaged

If it was a mere $100k we could just charge a dollar per membership more and continue.

I dont buy it either.

Now don't believe a word of this,first it's a soft cap,so instead of making a extra 3-5 million in profit,you can easily go over the softcap and just pay the AFL tax,so your over by a million and that cost you 300 000 in softcap tax,big deal ,if it keeps vfl program ,as money has still got to get used when we are a non profit organization.
Maybe doomsday planning that no crowds in 2021 , dunno

I wonder how the virus has hit Aligned Leisure as well? And the KGI. Also wonder if we’ve maybe heard something from our sponsors that might have effected. Tough times around and it could still get worse 😔

I wonder how the virus has hit Aligned Leisure as well? And the KGI. Also wonder if we’ve maybe heard something from our sponsors that might have effected. Tough times around and it could still get worse 😔
Regional pools open to what extent I dunno , we’d be lucky to be breaking even you’d think on that right now

If so could be a suggestion that list sizes will be reduced and potentially make the need for our own reserves side less important and financially more beneficial to align with another club. Lets say list sizes over the next two seasons get down to as low as 38 players, that leaves 16 players who won't be playing seniors each week with in all likelihood 5-7 injuries across the squad by r6 leaving 9-11 players making up the reserves. Depending on cost associated with aligning (2-3m a season) versus having our own reserves team (4-6m a season) it would appear to be a smarter decision to align.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone really surprised the vfl team is being put on hiatus, the world is f’ed, we're in our worst recession since world war 2?

allthe money printing around the world has made people think nothing bad is really happening atm

I don’t know exactly what the tax is, but I remember someone in the media saying that it’s pretty excessive, that’s why team aren’t willing to go over it.

If we fund a womens team which is under the same soft cap which means we can't have a stand alone VFL side, I'll cancel my membership.

If that's the case, the club has lost sight of its purpose.

I'm not sure if they're under the same cap, would love some clarification.
I was saying this before, if we keep the w
Maybe the AFL shouldn’t have been wasting so much money for the past 10+ years and maybe they wouldn’t have had to slash the soft cap spending by so much.

It’s frustrating that the AFL is costing 100’s of jobs across all clubs but haven’t been held to task over any of it.

No one should blame any of the players, the AFL is more responsible than anyone else
thats the problem with spending millions pumping up teams in Melbourne and other states that are hemorrhaging money.

One of the biggest reasons we have seen such significant development in our players, competition for spots, capability to cover injury, reinforce our culture across the whole squad and continue to improve the overall standard of our side, is directly due to our VFL side. Having their own VFL side, allowed Geelong to remain a finals team for over a decade. It is also a huge reason we have built into the premiership team we are today.

If we drop our VFL side, we will fall away as our culture and development begins to deteriorate. It's a mistake. I'd rather they drop the AFLW side.

GWS / GC / NORF /St KILDA / etc etc

How much profit has Richmond made in years 1017,2018,2019 with 2 lags and 3x100k members ?
I call BS about the reason if thats what they are saying

How the hell will clubs like footscray have a VFL team

Soft cap is a joke.
limiting clubs ability to develop their talent just to allow minnow clubs to compete.

If the club chooses to fund its AFLW program over the VFL I’ll be very disappointed.
With due respect to womens football, I pay my membership to support the mens side. It’s what I’ve done for 20 years and I do it to help the club fund the best possible men’s team we can field. Our VFL side definitely helps that. An AFLW Side does not, in fact you could argue it hinders the men’s side if this is the path they take.

Last edited:
Caro reporting that we won't be able to afford to run our VFL program next year, I'm assuming because of the soft cap.

She it was unlikely we would be able to run it before we got the $100k fine, but now it's a definite no.

What happens here then? We'll have to align with a VFL team unfortunately. I remember the Coburg days, and they definitely weren't fun.
I think she left.a W off the team. That's the team being dropped. Caro rants to Paul Marsh that if CJ & Stack don't play their fine jobs at Richmond will be lost. She says the VFL was teetering on the brink. She says VFL but I think she means VFLW. Who won't play in 2021. She attacks Marsh saying "the Stack/CJ behaviour > $100k fine will cost jobs". (How the hell would Marsh know the details of that?) As ALFPA Pres. Maybe.
She rails that a 10 week suspension isn't enough & Says SS/CJ fine CAUSED Richmond to have to sack other people. (her friend by the sound of the bitterness). The decision to disband the VFLW team occurred (24 Aug 2020) prior to CJSS ~ gate. So cannot blame players for CAUSING that as well. Bit of bitch eh?? I don't listen to her much.

I think she should research better & issue an apology, Miss a "W" and look at the grief it causes.

Last edited:

Bonus to Gilligan and his mates

GWS / GC / NORF /St KILDA / etc etc

How much profit has Richmond made in years 1017,2018,2019 with 2 lags and 3x100k members ?
I call BS about the reason if thats what they are saying

How the hell will clubs like footscray have a VFL team

If the vfl. Richmond-vfl does die.

Chances are it was due to corona. Afl corruption / bad management etc.

Fairly dodgy to blame it on stack and cCJ going for a kebab.

I'd like to know where those several billions of tv rights went....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back