VFL Richmond VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think she left.a W off the team. That's the team being dropped. Caro rants to Paul Marsh that if CJ & Stack don't play their fine jobs at Richmond will be lost. She says the VFL was teetering on the brink. She says VFL but I think she means VFLW. Who won't play in 2021. She attacks Marsh saying "the Stack/CJ behaviour > $100k fine will cost jobs". (How the hell would Marsh know the details of that?) As ALFPA Pres. Maybe.
She rails that a 10 week suspension isn't enough & Says SS/CJ fine CAUSED Richmond to have to sack other people. (her friend by the sound of the bitterness). The decision to disband the VFLW team occurred (24 Aug 2020) prior to CJSS ~ gate. So cannot blame players for CAUSING that as well. Bit of b*tch eh?? I don't listen to her much.

I think she should research better & issue an apology, Miss a "W" and look at the grief it causes.

Vflw sounds more plausible.

Wouldn't surprise me if Caro made the mistake. She's bout 120

Soft cap is a joke.
limiting clubs ability to develop their talent just to allow minnow clubs to compete.

If the club chooses to fund its AFLW program over the VFL I’ll be very disappointed.
With due respect to womens football, I pay my membership to support the mens side. It’s what I’ve done for 20 years and I do it to help the club fund the best possible men’s team we can field. Our VFL side definitely helps that. An AFLW Side does not, in fact you could argue it hinders the men’s side if this is the path they take.

Beyond a joke look at European football epl how many coaches they can have and spend on staff or technology, developing unlimited as you said the afl do this so minnow clubs stay with strong clubs and how many of these clubs been on life support for decades.

Last edited:
If the vfl. Richmond-vfl does die.

Chances are it was due to corona. Afl corruption / bad management etc.

Fairly dodgy to blame it on stack and cCJ going for a kebab.

I'd like to know where those several billions of tv rights went....
COVID hasn't affected our AFLW team; the only thing got rid of was VFLW. Men's team no worries. It was interesting to hear Marsh talk about the COVID fines not being enforceable. Caroline Wilson is a nasty piece of work.
VFL team ain't going anywhere. AFL corruption? Spare me. Pat em on the f **n back for getting a f*n competition running through all of this. Gil deserves a bonus. And everyone who's worked to get the season up and running. Playing games in empty stadiums costs.. Several billion TV rights? Reduced heavily. $730mill/yr is the figure I can see.
We RFC are up there on the ladder well poised to win it again. Stack & CJ weren't in best 22. Stack best 30 & CJ beyond that.

COVID hasn't affected our AFLW team; the only thing got rid of was VFLW. Men's team no worries. It was interesting to hear Marsh talk about the COVID fines not being enforceable. Caroline Wilson is a nasty piece of work.
VFL team ain't going anywhere. AFL corruption? Spare me. Pat em on the f **n back for getting a f*n competition running through all of this. Gil deserves a bonus. And everyone who's worked to get the season up and running. Playing games in empty stadiums costs.. Several billion TV rights? Reduced heavily. $730mill/yr is the figure I can see.
We RFC are up there on the ladder well poised to win it again. Stack & CJ weren't in best 22. Stack best 30 & CJ beyond that.
Kiwi Tiger all but confirmed our mens VFL team is going .Funds are tighter than people think .
Geelong's President is expecting next years financial's to be worse if crowd restrictions are still in force .They're expecting drop off in memberships if people can't go to games again .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kiwi Tiger all but confirmed our mens VFL team is going .Funds are tighter than people think .
Geelong's President is expecting next years financial's to be worse if crowd restrictions are still in force .They're expecting drop off in memberships if people can't go to games again .

Well thats a topic for another day. Wilson's conflation of SSCJ incident and our VFL team being dropped is inaccurate. And leads to thread's like this.
I pity you Victorians.

Last edited:
Well thats a topic for another day. Wilson's conflation of SSCJ incident and our VFL team being dropped is inaccurate. And leads to thread's like this.
I pity you Victorians.
She was just trying to highlight the significance of the fine to our footy department. She said that our VFL program was probably dead regardless.

I don't get the malice towards Caro here. Just because she's delivering news people don't like, doesn't mean she's in the wrong.

I pity you Victorians.
We have a poster on here with very good inside info and he confirmed the club can't afford a standalone mens VFL team .

She was just trying to highlight the significance of the fine to our footy department. She said that our VFL program was probably dead regardless.

I don't get the malice towards Caro here. Just because she's delivering news people don't like, doesn't mean she's in the wrong.
After reading the Niall article it looks like the VFL comp is dead. Well before CJSS misbehaving.
Their, and don't forget Cotch's fines. Have come weeks after decisions we made about VFLW and what is likely to happen to VFL
Caro screams that the fines have killed the VFL competition. Which is inaccurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone really surprised the vfl team is being put on hiatus, the world is f’ed, we're in our worst recession since world war 2?

This has nothing to do ccj and stack or Brooke or any mismanagement of funds.
*en disappointing, I’m reading between lines that if the budget for vfl comes from a 1/3 reduced soft cap then it’s not worth it . And I repeat it’s not our single biggest comparative advantage or every side with vfl team would be winning flags ,. If it wasn’t stacked with A grade talent with A grade coaches it would mean fa. I’m tipping we re maintaining the soft cap to keep dimma and his merry men

After reading the Niall article it looks like the VFL comp is dead. Well before CJSS misbehaving.
Their, and don't forget Cotch's fines. Have come weeks after decisions we made about VFLW and what is likely to happen to VFL
Caro screams that the fines have killed the VFL competition. Which is inaccurate
That's not what Caro was saying at all. Listen to the interview. You're outraged about something that isn't even true.

People need to get an understanding of the new reality.

The 2021 year is going to extremely challenging economically for all AFL Clubs and the population in general. The Broadcast agreement has been renegotiated with lower industry revenue. This means lower club distributions and a football department soft cap that is yet to be finalised, but is likely to have a reduction of $3million or around 35%. So when your footy department spend decreases to such an extent, something has to give.

And just as an aside, if you think our match return revenue will magically pop back to pre Covid levels, think again as there’s highly likely that any crowds next year will be capped to a Covid manageable level.

So, given the above, if the Coach and the Football Dept believe that Scratch Matches with other non VFL/NEAFL participating clubs will provide the right amount of squad benefits for the cost, wouldn’t you do it? Remembering that squad sizes will also be reduced and any participation in a NEAFL/VFL competition would require top up players and cost?

Any soft cap fine is just straw on an already busted camel.

Haere Ra

Soft cap is a joke.
limiting clubs ability to develop their talent just to allow minnow clubs to compete.

If the club chooses to fund its AFLW program over the VFL I’ll be very disappointed.
With due respect to womens football, I pay my membership to support the mens side. It’s what I’ve done for 20 years and I do it to help the club fund the best possible men’s team we can field. Our VFL side definitely helps that. An AFLW Side does not, in fact you could argue it hinders the men’s side if this is the path they take.
We need to write to the club and say exactly that.

The AFL needs to scrap the soft cap so clubs can push through this.

Where's the sense in taxing clubs into non existence?

The 2021 year is going to extremely challenging economically for all AFL Clubs and the population in general. The Broadcast agreement has been renegotiated with lower industry revenue. This means lower club distributions and a football department soft cap that is yet to be finalised, but is likely to have a reduction of $3million or around 35%. So when your footy department spend decreases to such an extent, something has to give.

And just as an aside, if you think our match return revenue will magically pop back to pre Covid levels, think again as there’s highly likely that any crowds next year will be capped to a Covid manageable level.

So, given the above, if the Coach and the Football Dept believe that Scratch Matches with other non VFL/NEAFL participating clubs will provide the right amount of squad benefits for the cost, wouldn’t you do it? Remembering that squad sizes will also be reduced and any participation in a NEAFL/VFL competition would require top up players and cost?

Any soft cap fine is just straw on an already busted camel.

Haere Ra

Great explanation, thank you. :thumbsu:

Maybe doomsday planning that no crowds in 2021 , dunno
Clubs comp wide are actually planning for no crowds until 2023.
that is not to say there won’t be crowds before then, but they are planning for a worst case scenario.

Haere Ra

I think the frustration from many supporters will be with exactly what has been selected to be cut. With all these cuts to the men’s program it seems a little out of step for the AFL to have given assurances that the women’s pay deal will go ahead with proposed increases and that program will push on.

It’s also pretty poor form by the AFL with the way they have left the stand alone VFL clubs with no options, pretty much sealing their fate. The lack of respect shown to that once proud competition by the AFL ever since they took it over is staggering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back