VFL Richmond VFL 2021

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Caro reporting that we won't be able to afford to run our VFL program next year, I'm assuming because of the soft cap.

She it was unlikely we would be able to run it before we got the $100k fine, but now it's a definite no.

What happens here then? We'll have to align with a VFL team unfortunately. I remember the Coburg days, and they definitely weren't fun.

dusty1234!

2017 2019 2020
Jan 14, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
That's could bit a real hit to the develpoment of our kids.... God damn it Syd and CCJ!!!

W4RT1G3R

Debutant
Aug 9, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
If we can't afford the VFL program, how are any of the other clubs doing it. Either this info is wrong and Caro's getting carried away with the loss of the VFLW team or there has been some terrible mismanagement of funds at the club. After the last couple of years we have become one of the richest clubs along with West Coast etc, either we have stuffed up financially or nobody can afford a VFL team.

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
If our VFL is dead with 100k members coming off 2 flags good luck to the rest of the standalone sides being retained
It's got nothing to do with this. There's a cap on how much we can spend on the footy department. We could have trillions and it wouldn't make a difference.

I'm guessing the club has decided that other areas are more important than a stand-alone reserves team.

Jack5

Cancelled
Richmond Tigers - Josh Gibcus Player Sponsor 2022 Richmond Tigers - Kamdyn McIntosh Player Sponsor 2022
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I see our VFL program as being THE major competitive advantage we have over clubs that don't have their own VFL team. A gameplan based on team organisation, role players in an environment where the talent pool is stretched thin and equalised through the draft, spending caps, etc relies on developing players to play roles and thats exactly what we've seen ever since we've had our own VFL team.
If we are in the business of premierships, surely there is something else that could be cut first.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I see our VFL program as being THE major competitive advantage we have over clubs that don't have their own VFL team. A gameplan based on team organisation, role players in an environment where the talent pool is stretched thin and equalised through the draft, spending caps, etc relies on developing players to play roles and thats exactly what we've seen ever since we've had our own VFL team.
If we are in the business of premierships, surely there is something else that could be cut first.
I dont think it’s THE major competitive advantage However it’s been fundamental to a development program that has helped create the best depth in the comp with ready to go players , will be challenging to maintain that without our own side

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
If we fund a womens team which is under the same soft cap which means we can't have a stand alone VFL side, I'll cancel my membership.

If that's the case, the club has lost sight of its purpose.

I'm not sure if they're under the same cap, would love some clarification.

Joey longshadow

Hostis Humani Generis
Oct 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore ravens
Aren't the AFL reorganising the whole VFL comp, to include the NEAFL.. Surely we can't just fold our second tier team... Maybe by announcing this or leaking it they are trying to force the AFL,s hand on the cap issue

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I dont think it’s THE major competitive advantage However it’s been fundamental to a development program that has helped create the best depth in the comp with ready to go players , will be challenging to maintain that without our own side

Yep it felt like a huge step forward when we introduced it and broke that alliance with Coburg.

The enthusiasm to play for the VFL side as opposed to a team with players from both camps must be significant too.

We must really be up against the wall on our spending cap for them to make this decision.

Also bloody great to watch VFL finals last year.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Aren't the AFL reorganising the whole VFL comp, to include the NEAFL.. Surely we can't just fold our second tier team... Maybe by announcing this or leaking it they are trying to force the AFL,s hand on the cap issue
We'll just align with one of the VFL teams, as Hawthorn does with Box Hill.

I think that's what the AFL is pushing for.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
If we fund a womens team which is under the same soft cap which means we can't have a stand alone VFL side, I'll cancel my membership.

If that's the case, the club has lost sight of its purpose.

I'm not sure if they're under the same cap, would love some clarification.
I would've thought the women's spending cap (if there is one) is separate to the mens one.

Joey longshadow

Hostis Humani Generis
Oct 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore ravens
We'll just align with one of the VFL teams, as Hawthorn does with Box Hill.

I think that's what the AFL is pushing for.
Well if that's the case I would assume every AFL clubs second tier team would have to go as well ...i mean if you are going to get rid of the reigning VFL premier which is part of the reigning AFL premiers organisation ,an organisation that is among the most financially viable in the comp surely no other AFL affiliated team can survive

Accepted 04

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe the AFL shouldn’t have been wasting so much money for the past 10+ years and maybe they wouldn’t have had to slash the soft cap spending by so much.

It’s frustrating that the AFL is costing 100’s of jobs across all clubs but haven’t been held to task over any of it.

No one should blame any of the players, the AFL is more responsible than anyone else

Back