List Mgmt. Richmond VFL players 2021

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Found this in an article on one of the new VFL players Brad Melville:

"The Tigers have been forced to pull back on their VFL program due to costs. Their list will smaller than in 2019 – but topped up by players from the Murray Bushrangers and Oakleigh Chargers – and training will be held once a week. Some of their more experienced players have moved on, including Jacob Ballard, Hugh Beasley and Daniel Coffield, but 2019 premiership captain Steve Morris has returned."

"There will be a country flavour to the VFL Tigers this year; Leongatha’s Cam Olden and Seymour pair Dylan Cook and Sam Durham have also joined the club, and Nathan Oakes, originally from Nathalia, and Angus Hicks, from Shepparton, have returned to Punt Rd."

Players from the practice match against Essendon

1616111923379.png

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
The article about Brad Melville

Premier Cricket allrounder Brad Melville links with Richmond’s VFL team

Brad Melville’s sporting focus has switched. For a few years it was on cricket, and it took him through elite state pathways and on to Victorian Premier level.
Now it’s on football, and he’s linked with Richmond for the expanded 2021 VFL competition.

The 22-year-old is taking a spell from wicket-taking and run-making after combining both sports 12 months ago, with some difficulty. Melville was playing with the strong Melbourne Cricket Club while training with the VFL Tigers. “It got a bit too much come February, March, and all the training was on the same night,’’ he said. “It really didn’t work for me. There were games last season where I wasn’t needed with bat or ball so I sort of stayed in the First XI for a fair while and probably didn’t need to train too much to be honest, but I thought I’d have this season off and put everything into footy and see where that goes.

“I’m a little bit more passionate about footy now … probably hadn’t enjoyed my cricket as much in the past couple of seasons, whereas I’ve really enjoyed my footy and done everything I could to improve it.’’

From Wangaratta, Melville, a middle-order batsman and off-spinner, was a Victorian Under 15 selection and a state Under 17 and Under 19 representative after he chose to concentrate on cricket. Playing for North East Knights, he cracked centuries in the Youth Premier League at Under 14 and then Under 16 level, marking him out as a going-places player.

Melbourne never misses a good prospect, and in his first full season with the Demons he made his First XI debut in 2016-17. “When I was younger I had to make a decision about what I wanted to do, and cricket was my main ambition then,’’ he said.

Still, he was an accomplished footballer for Wangaratta Magpies, playing his first senior game when he was 16. No wonder the Murray Bushrangers made contact.

Melville figured in the club’s Ovens and Murray premiership under the coaching of Dean Stone in 2017, former Demon Michael Newton bagging eight goals in the victory over Albury. He came to appreciate the flag more when grand final losses followed in 2018 and ‘19.

Kicking 31 goals in 2019, Melville came to the notice of VFL clubs. “I had a bit of interest, mainly from Werribee to start with, then Richmond and the Northern Blues,’’ he said. “I’m living in Caulfield so I made the decision to go to Richmond. It’s probably the team closest to me.’’ It didn’t hurt Richmond that he’s a Tigers supporter.

Melville was on the list for the 2020 season that never heard a siren. Since then the Tigers have been forced to pull back on their VFL program due to costs.

Their list will smaller than in 2019 – but topped up by players from the Murray Bushrangers and Oakleigh Chargers – and training will be held once a week.

Some of their more experienced players have moved on, including Jacob Ballard, Hugh Beasley and Daniel Coffield, but 2019 premiership captain Steve Morris has returned.

Melville said he was out to play “as many games as possible’’ in the VFL.

“My expectations aren’t too high,’’ he said.

“It’s only my second pre-season so I haven’t been in the system too long … I’m looking to play at Richmond as much as I can and if not play as good as footy as I can for ‘Wang’.

“Being with an AFL club it’s hard to predict how many games you’ll play or where you see yourself for Round 1, but I’ll do everything I can and do everything right.’’

Melville will retain the Magpies as his home club – they have recruited former Collingwood tall Ben Reid and Abraham Ankers from the NT and brought back Stone as coach following the departure of Luke Morgan – and will train with other Melbourne-based players at Collegians.

There will be a country flavour to the VFL Tigers this year; Leongatha’s Cam Olden and Seymour pair Dylan Cook and Sam Durham have also joined the club, and Nathan Oakes, originally from Nathalia, and Angus Hicks, from Shepparton, have returned to Punt Rd.

Found this in an article on one of the new VFL players Brad Melville:

"The Tigers have been forced to pull back on their VFL program due to costs. Their list will smaller than in 2019 – but topped up by players from the Murray Bushrangers and Oakleigh Chargers – and training will be held once a week. Some of their more experienced players have moved on, including Jacob Ballard, Hugh Beasley and Daniel Coffield, but 2019 premiership captain Steve Morris has returned."

"There will be a country flavour to the VFL Tigers this year; Leongatha’s Cam Olden and Seymour pair Dylan Cook and Sam Durham have also joined the club, and Nathan Oakes, originally from Nathalia, and Angus Hicks, from Shepparton, have returned to Punt Rd."

Players from the practice match against Essendon

View attachment 1080446

Think Steve Morris is playing at Red Hill this year.

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone see how Hugo Ralphsmith played?

see this report

VFL Tigers overrun Magpies to reign in the heat

Richmond clawed their way back from 19 points down in the third term to run out winners by 28 points over Collingwood at the Swinburne Centre on Saturday morning.

VFL1.jpg

No matter what time of year or in what setting, Richmond taking on Collingwood always has the veil of rivalry hovering over the contest.
The fourth practice match of 2021 was a hot game in more ways than one.
With the temperature hovering around 25°C as the opening siren sounded at 10:15am and pushing closer to 30 once the final siren sounded, Richmond and Collingwood hunted the footy and the man from the get-go.
The Tigers clawed their way back from 19 points down in the third term to run out winners by 28 points at the Swinburne Centre

VFLChol.jpg

Collingwood looked set to run away with the contest after kicking its fifth goal in a row early in the third quarter before a resurgent Richmond went on a tear in the final term, running out victors, 14.12 (96) to 9.14 (68).
The Tigers, trailing by just over three goals in the early stages of the third term needed a spark to initiate a turn of fortunes, and they found it in the form of a premier cricket all-rounder.
Brad Melville’s outstanding smother inside 50 set up Riley Collier-Dawkins to break Collingwood’s run of goals. The Tigers' top-up then kicked his own after the three-quarter-time siren.
With seconds ticking away, the evergreen, returning Bachar Houli hit-up Melville inside 50 and the siren sounded as the midfielder was backing off the mark.
Melville’s set-shot pierced through the teeth of goal and his passionate fist pump and celebration said it all; the Tigers were not withering under the stinging autumn sun.
Bachar Houli’s last game was played under lights at the Gabba for the 2020 premiership, his first game of 2021 had a little less at stake, but you wouldn’t have guessed that by the way Houli attacked the game.
The triple AFL premiership player assumed his role at half-back, and while there were brief signs of rust in the first quarter, those quickly eroded as he went about his work.

VFLHouli.jpg

All the trademarks that the Tiger Army has grown to love were on display: run and dash; calmness, clarity, courage and the raking left boot.
Houli most importantly got through the game unscathed and looks set to resume his role at AFL-level in the not too distant future.
Melville had a direct hand in the first goal after three-quarter-time as well, setting up Samson Ryan inside 50, and the emerging big man slotted his second major of the day.
The premiership midfielder from Wangaratta sealed the win later in the final term with a hack from congestion skidding through from outside 50.
As the temperature continued on its upward trajectory, so too did Richmond’s pressure and its desire to win, which will hold this young group in good stead as they display the hallmarks of playing the “Richmond Way”.
In the first quarter, the ball sizzled from end-to-end, as both sides defended grimly inside their respective back 50s and struggled to finish off their good work further up the field.
The fact there were just two goals kicked in the first quarter was not through lack of want or desire, and Jack Ross was the poster boy for both.
After being the medical sub for the opening two rounds of the AFL season, Ross looked intent on making up for lost game time.

VFLRoss.jpg

Ross mauled Levi Greenwood at the opening bounce, he then sought body contact from anyone wearing black and white.
The unyielding midfielder slotted the opening goal of the game after being rewarded for his unflinching attack on the ball and the man.
Ross muscled his way past two Collingwood defenders to draw a free kick for high contact and then converted his set-shot.
The midfield maestro finished the game with two goals, after a thumping goal from outside 50 in the last quarter.
Ryan Garthwaite was another who enjoyed the steamy morning conditions, clunking a handful of marks in the first quarter and providing a strong focal point in the front half.
Garthwaite, a former diligent defender, has brought those traits forward and works just as hard without the ball to win it back for his side.
He was rewarded for his four-quarter efforts as Collier-Dawkins found him free inside 50 late in the match, and he kicked truly.
Patrick Naish has been somewhat of an understudy to the likes of Houli since arriving at the club in 2018 and the dashing wingman relished playing alongside his experienced teammate.
Houli has set a pretty high benchmark for players such has Naish, and judging by his opening half, Naish has his sights set on working to reach tho
se heights in 2021.
Naish’s strengths were on-show; his sweeping right boot; his work rate from contest to contest, and running patterns, be it attacking or defending.

VFLNaish.jpg

With just two goals kicked in the first quarter, an inaccurate Collingwood led marginally at the first change by five points.
Maurice Rioli then got things off on the right foot in the second term after swooping on a loose ball inside 50 and snapping truly over his left shoulder.
Rioli then enjoyed some midfield time, looking dangerous and clean at the centre bounce and stoppages and keeping the Magpies on their toes between the arcs.
The father-son dynamo could have had three goals up to half-time such were the chances he was creating.
Another player who will look to emulate the feats of Houli is Ryan Mansell.
The zippy and tenacious defender is hard to beat one-on-one, rebounds with verve, and is courageous in his attack on the ball.

RICHMOND 1.2 3.6 7.10 14.12 (96)
COLLINGWOOD 1.7 5.8 8.11 9.14 (68)

GOALS
Richmond:
Ross 2, Ryan 2, Melville 2, Rioli, Collier-Dawkins, Hicks, Martyn, Chol, Olden, Garthwaite, McDonagh

Winter_Rose

Lady of Punt Rd 17🏆19🏆20🏆
Oct 7, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Just wondering if Jacob Townsend could be a chance to join our VFL team if he gets delisted by GC. I'd love to have his toughness back at Tigerland.

Back