Game Day Richmond vs Adelaide @ the M.C.G(iants Stadium)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Just because he made no obvious errors doesn't mean he was good or have an elevated impact on the game than normal. We drafted him as a first round midfield prospect. He has severely under performed, whether that's because the coaching was confusing for him, or he isn't mentally able to over come playing at the level, or he can't figure out how to best use his strengths.

Something isn't right with him or for him, I'm at a loss as to why Hamish thought this guy was worthy of pick 9 in the draft
Sometimes I question whether you watch sport at all

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
We cant have every defender be a dour lockdown type like Butts, Brown, Murray & Kelly. He needs to find more of the pill. He is meant to be super fit and a good kick but we don't see it. Needs to get involved more.
Jones did his job then.

Castagna had minimal impact.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We cant have every defender be a dour lockdown type like Butts, Brown, Murray & Kelly. He needs to find more of the pill. He is meant to be super fit and a good kick but we don't see it. Needs to get involved more.

And yet it was flying out of there for half the game.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Walker is playing his best footy since 2017 and may be a chance to surpass the 63 from 9 seasons ago but more likely he'll kick around 50ish shall he stay healthy. And this team is nowhere as talented as it was in 2017. Struggling Collingwood next week who have been trying week in and week out, no excuses if they (Adelaide) come out soft.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

Butts isn't really dour.

I see him long term being 2nd KPD and McAsey the more pure defender.

Butts is very comfortable playing off his man to win the ball.

Brown has maybe two years left? Starting to get beaten a bit now. Jones can slot in. Jones is more capable moving the ball than brown.

Kelly is a pure stopper. Ball in hand is not great. But until another guy his size comes along capable of stopping and being better offensively he is our best pure stopper.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
Because he doesn't have 12 foot arms? Coleman-Jones at his highest point isn't going to be spoiled from behind.
They weren't spectacular leading patterns, he just lost Murray each time, and he totally missed one spoil in the second that he should have nailed which Richmond kicked a goal from. He had a stinker and it's not all his fault, but he isn't a key defender, his man loses him far too often.

Last edited:

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It's not about him not spoiling him. He trailed behind not defending him, allowing him to then lead and create even more space.
He was watching the ball for a split second, and CCJ got a very slight gap on him. It was by no means a sprinting lead, I didn't even think it was going to be honoured. I saw it happen a couple of times in that quarter, he was struggling to find a balance between watching the player with the ball and CCJ, and he lost him more than once. He doesn't have the closing speed to be able to give his opponent any room on the lead. In his defense, I think he's more of a forward than a defender, he actually took a couple of good intercept marks outside the 50 arc but he struggles on the last line.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It's all unravelling for Chayce again. Quiet last week and now 4 touches in 3 quarters. Time for a spell in the SANFL. He is allergic to the ball up forward, in the midfield and down back. I don't want to hear any lockdown role bs.

Today watching him live, it just looks like he doesn't want to be out there. Undeniably he has the physical attributes, but something is weighing that kid down massively and he is either too scared or lacks the confidence to take the game on.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WTF. There was a boundary ump right there!!!!
I was right behind that one and it was out by a couple of feet at least. We were all staggered the guy on the spot didn't pay it but he was basically in row one, whereas the other guy was more level with Hamill.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because he doesn't have 12 foot arms? Coleman-Jones at his highest point isn't going to be spoiled from behind.
Probably needed to try to play in front of him more as Murray would have the pace to catch up if he is found out and behind CCJ but all part of his learning and development in his debut season.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ended up going at the last minute today and it was genuinely one of the weirdest games I have ever attended. Literally no atmosphere and the entire crowd shoved into one end of the stadium. Probably more Richmond supporters than Crows overall, but boy did they go silent in the last quarter when we got close.

People were just standing and sitting wherever they wanted and moving around the entire game - I heard some of the few venue staff debate telling us to take our seats instead of standing behind the goals on the concourse, but they smartly realised they would likely have to deal with moving people on from those same seats and it wasn't worth it. There was a strangely large number of police present who were watching the crowd like hawks even though the behaviour overall was extremely tame. I assume they were there filling in for venue security as I couldn't see any of those around.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Ended up going at the last minute today and it was genuinely one of the weirdest games I have ever attended. Literally no atmosphere and the entire crowd shoved into one end of the stadium. Probably more Richmond supporters than Crows overall, but boy did they go silent in the last quarter when we got close.

People were just standing and sitting wherever they wanted and moving around the entire game - I heard some of the few venue staff debate telling us to take our seats instead of standing behind the goals on the concourse, but they smartly realised they would likely have to deal with moving people on from those same seats and it wasn't worth it. There was a strangely large number of police present who were watching the crowd like hawks even though the behaviour overall was extremely tame. I assume they were there filling in for venue security as I couldn't see any of those around.
I thought on the tv it sounded like we had a way bigger crowd.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not saying the umpiring has been crash hot, but the free kick count doesn't need to be level. It's possible, probable in fact, that one side will commit more infractions than the other.
You've heard all the old adages about team getting first to the ball gets the free kick etc, there's no doubt several others.

What's the bet that, if such correlations could be found, there'd be outlier teams on both side. What's the bet Adelaide is regularly on the reaming outlier side?

When a game is otherwise even, there's every reason to think the infractions would be even.

There's also no reason to suspect umpires wouldn't have bias, probably moreso for subconscious bias, given how fallible human minds are.

Back