Richmond vs Hawthorn 1st Qualifying Final Thursday 6th MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily:

Of Mitchell's 3 highest possession games this year, Hawthorn only won 1. Of Mitchell's 6 lowest possession games, Hawthorn won 4.

Of Mitchell's 6 highest possession games Last year, Hawthorn didn't win any.

It's a bit more than being about only 1 player.
I dont think we'll tag Mitchel. We usually allow the first opposition posession, it's the subsequent possessions where we put the pressure on.

I dont think we'll tag Mitchel. We usually allow the first opposition posession, it's the subsequent possessions where we put the pressure on.

You'll run with someone on him I think, not a close tag just enough to make sure his possessions are rushed. Beyond that I'd reckon Kamdyn McIntosh will go to Smith, and the rest will be Richmond game plan. You guys tend to back the system and the players in, rather than go for the Sydney style of having 5 players out there solely to nullify others.

Yep, there is no need to tag him when the pressure is so tight, and your players push up so hard from the back.

That press from the back is why Richmond are number 1, but it is the running forward when the opposition turn the ball over that is equally impressive. Richmond know that they can bank on their two way running to be better than the opposition, and its why they smash teams. They can do it for longer.

We will try to hold the ball up, turn it over and we have a lack of runners ready to track back because we are not used to it. Then we end up bombing it into whoever is up forward and Grimes/Rance/Astbury will just pick it off. Money for jam

That’s what proper journalism is, researching an interesting story, a shame it happens only about once a year.

Young people these days only use google and don’t appreciate that there is plenty of history that hasn’t been ‘uploaded’ on the www. And If it had been uploaded a search for “Hawthorn finals” would have given about 2,500,000 results s would have been hard to find:D

Last edited:
From the article.

"And in another twist, the Hawks risked forfeiting third place on the ladder with a loss."

Or do you mean career goals etc?

I'd say they probably counted too.
Games played, goals scored, the works.

So at one point KB held the games record. Was this game included? When did Michael Tuck officially overtake him??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting the two ruck strategy by the Hawks. Will smash the clearances when Grigg goes in.

However the extra small pays huge dividends in the last quarter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure I’d want to have a second ruckman purely for clearance domination. We’ve shown we don’t rely on winning clearances to win games. What they need is mobile marking targets who have great tanks and can bust a gut and get forward before our defence sets up after winning clearances.

That’s the only way to win and it’s proven difficult anywhere but narrow and smaller ovals.

Hawks biggest chance is to stifle our scoring and with a full strength midfield for us in it means that we will have dangerous mids rotating forwards at all times (Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Lambert available plus Graham, KMac and co were spun through there at times during the bulldogs game).

Will be interesting to see what Clarko comes up with. Especially if we have to play with 15mm of rain over late arvo/evening. Could expect a late withdrawal of a ruckman.

Interesting the two ruck strategy by the Hawks. Will smash the clearances when Grigg goes in.

However the extra small pays huge dividends in the last quarter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The two rucks is ok as Rough can't take a mark as a key forward.

We didn't need Nash and Rough though.

The problem is that we don't have anyone to come in that absolutely helps us. Cyril would have been nice...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back