2nds Richmond vs Werribee 2pm 15 July at Frankston

Remove this Banner Ad

I along with others was at the game today so I won't go into too much detail as what others have said already are my thoughts as well.

Firstly, it must be said that is the best I have seen the VFL team play. I don't get to a lot of games and watch the odd outing on the telly, so my sample pool isn't strong, however, the score line reflects their dominance today.

I liked the look of our forward line. We started with the two talls (Griffiths & Moore), two smalls (Stengle and Bolton) & a medium forward in Lennon. Probably the best I have ever seen a Richmond forward line function. Delivery was a bit wonky coming in initially, but once the midfield took control, the ball was being delivered in on a platter. If it did come in high, the talls would contest, and the crumbers would take care of the rest.

Outside of the first five or six minutes where Werribee had somewhat control over the game, it was pretty much all Richmond from there on in.

Chol played a good game at CHB - might be his position moving forward. Follow the ball coming in. He took some nice marks, and he has a nice long kick.

Maric/Bathie took control in the ruck. Graham was sensational in the first half. Obviously, my earlier comments generated some discussion and comments about his injury. I only reported what I saw as I think many people are interested. Some people are hard to please I suppose. Having said that, I'm pleased to here that it was only a sprain, as he looked very ginger. Based on this injury I don't think we will see him in the Seniors this year, however, if he wasn't injured I think he would have earned one or two games this season. Great hands and his kicking was effective. He's a ball winner and will end up an upgrade on Miles, which is not a bad thing.

I liked the look of Moore. He leads up well to the ball and has good hands. Works really hard and has great spirit out on the ground. If Griffiths wasn't going to make it back this year, I would be tempted to bring him in as the second tall and allow Jack to stay closer to goal. Or vice versa. Have Jack up the ground and Moore closer to goal. BTW Jack was at the game.

Corey Ellis was highly effective off half back. He has improved his core, many times, he was able to break a tackle and dish off a handball or get away a kick. I'm not sure what position he plays though. Is he quick enough for a half back? The modern game relies so heavily on turning defence into attack and he doesn't have the leg speed to provide that drive. However, he could make it up with his kicking. He has great vision and several times today he picked out a player that wasn't an obvious choice, however, it was the best choice. I'd like to see him the seniors sooner rather than later.

What do we with Lennon? He dominates at this level in the most difficult position on the ground - half-forward. He reads the game so well and he has sublime skills. He is a great shot for goal. I thought his defensive pressure was top shelf today. I think it will be down to him and Lloyd for that spot. My preference is Lennon. I think he has more upside.

Bolton was electric. Although he is a small/medium forward he plays tall if that makes sense. His vertical leap allows him to grab those high balls coming in. He makes things happen. He could find space in a phone box. I reckon he comes in for Butler for next week's game against GWS as I don't think they have a natural defender who could go to him. You can't ignore 5 goals in the twos.

I thought Griffiths was good. Really attacked the ball. Missed a couple of ones he would normally take but I think that touch will come with time. We must work towards getting him back into the seniors before finals.

Batchelor was good, Elton OK. Elton is not a good ruckman and a so-so KP. He's only there for insurance and I think he will be lucky to stay on the list. He's a competitor and never stops trying. I just hope Griffiths is able to stay injury free.

Hunt turned it over several times and I think Markov will/has gone past him. Perhaps we are harsher on him than others because we are looking for the errors. Much like we overlook Martin's high clanger levels, but then he doesn't offer much going the other way. He won't be on the list next year. Good on him though, played more AFL games than I ever did and he seems like a nice chap - hot girlfriend as well.

Stengle was good as well. Took a great set shot from the Bayside end tight on the boundary. Hopefully, he can build his tank to become a midfielder because he is so good with the ball in hand.

If we cycle forward to the end of the year I can see where the delistings will come from. Yarran delisted. Hunt delisted. Maric retired. Morris will be lucky to stay on the list IMO. There are four spots right there. Batchelor may be kept as insurance for defenders. Chol may get an upgrade. He is worth persisting with in my opinion. Perhaps this is for another thread.

Enjoyed the day down there. Shame that Frankston doesn't have a side. It's a good ground to watch the footy. They could draw on the footy lovers from the south and Mornington peninsula. You'd like to see the AFL spread some of that cash around to help the second tier competitions, especially for the stand alone sides.
Thanks for that mate and remember the Afl don't want standalone sides.

From first siren to last siren the real tiger boys came out to play and play well
They tackled they chased they harassed they were relentless from the
Back 50 to the forward 50 they ran linked up by foot or hand always giving
It to a team mate in a better position,no one was selfish no-one had an ego
There chat was loud and clear you could hear them backing each other
And they were all well rehearsed in this area,,, definitely the best team effort i have seen us
Play since we became a stand alone team,,, all football skills were on display today. Yes
We were vastly superior and had more afl experience and talent but we did not try and play champagne
Footy we played real hard pressure team footy,, i see a lot of parallels between the 2s and 1s
And once we get some more tall talent back in the 1s i think we will improve dramatically,,
Shai is the best rove off the pack player since andy k can only imagine in finals in the vast area of the mcg running past the pack with jack or griff or toby forcing the ball down to him wow he will light the afl aflame
Ok my take on our players
LENNON,--- did not miss a beat lead strongly marked strongly , chased and tackled really looked like
He wants a senior gig,kicked truly and was very team orientated,,, was able to run up and down the ground without to much trouble, he always seems to hold onto the ball till the best option opens up, if lloyds struggle tomorrow then i IMAGINE it will lennon time,

BATCHELOR,,,Didnt have a lot to do as the ball was up the other end a lot, what he did do was good
He wasn't bad he wasn't great ok serviceable.

Maric ,,--- was really against no opposition, but he was vey good

TOWNSEND, --- Very aggressive at the man and the ball seems to have found his perfect position
Half forward on the ball, very good mark and unbelievable tackler, improved out of sight from last year, very close to senior selection

GRIFF,- HIGHLIGHT of the day when he kicked his 1st goal, the crowd erupted and every player was yelling and screaming like a beatles concert, they all gathered round him like lloyds goal after the siren , very emotional had a little tear in my eye, he did move well looked very promising for later in the year,,,

HUNT,--- ta ta was very ta ta enough said

BOLTON-- WOW WEE WOW WEE BOY OH BOY **** ME THIS KID HAS EVERYTHING
no need to say anything else,,

MARKOV,--- Similar to batch but i do think we have a long term talent in the making
Did enough to play on the next year,,,

ELLIS,,--- VERY GOOD was vey good defensively chaes ans tackled the best ive seen , was excellent with hands and feet really impressed with his game

GRAHAM,--- Only played one half but was very very good he loves the hard stuff exceptional footy brain,
Just hope he gets his body right , fantastic in the clearance reads the ball so well off the ruckmans hands,,
Will be a fantastic player

MOORE,--- VERY good also great athlete great mark his skills can be a little iffy but his kicking has improved especially his set shots, needs more time to develop but we definitely have something to work with.

Chol--- was one of his better games today looked like he wamted to be more involved in the contest,, has great football skills still has lapses of concentration, love his long kick ins he does a beautiful left foot unlike Rhonda who had a beautiful brake foot,,

Elton, --- was good today contested well in the air goal kicking has improved, marking thte ball better as well,

Stengle-- very good early sublime skills, faded out of game no problem with tyson

Bollard taller version of graham could be worth a rookie spot
Silvester, very fast off half ack wing great vfl player
Beasly and coffield great vfl players probably not good enough for afl but are the Back bone of our defensive unit,
Menadue -- was good off half back will be a good player for many a year
Any other questions fire away
Was there today so feel obliged to do a brief summary.

Lennon - Was ok. A lot of good work when the sting went well and truly out of the game. Think he kicked 2 in the opening term though.

Graham - Liked what I saw. Cool head in traffic and got a heap of it. Can't really kick, although I don't care if he's creative in close by hand.

Batchelor, Maric, Menadue - solid. No mistakes but didn't dominate.

Elton - still a spud.

Griffiths - Was expecting him to offer nothing but thought he did well. Was obviously timid but took 1 or 2 contested grabs (more wrestling with his opponent rather than launching at it) and kicked 2 in a half. Crashed a couple of packs too.

Bolton - Wow. Kid is special. Kicked a freak goal from the boundary right in front of me. The breeze was blowing away from the goal at one end which made it hard to kick goals from the pockets. He got the ball in between 3 blokes deep in the right forward pocket about 25m out. I was right there so was watching him closely, he didn't even look at the goals as he was facing the boundary line and just hooked it over his left shoulder (so the ball was bending in the same direction as the wind) and gave it enough leeway so it bent through perfectly at the right time. He must've started the ball outside the point post all while not even getting a glimpse at the goals. Anyone who's even had a kick at the local oval understands how hard it is to do something like that.

Chol - Was really impressed. Took a number of intercept marks at CHB. Neat ball use too.

Ellis - Pretty good. Was composed.

Markov - Really liked his game. Cut them open a lot with his pace and run. He is very composed too, always gives the right handball option.

Hunt - meh. Got it a lot but a lot of mistakes

Townsend - Really good.

Stengle - Was really good. Especially early. Knows how to get himself out of traffic and buy himself some time. Really excited by this guy. Just screams natural footballer to me which we desperately need in our forward half.

Moore - Surprised me actually. Took a few good marks and did some nice things. Spent some time in the right too.

I along with others was at the game today so I won't go into too much detail as what others have said already are my thoughts as well.

Firstly, it must be said that is the best I have seen the VFL team play. I don't get to a lot of games and watch the odd outing on the telly, so my sample pool isn't strong, however, the score line reflects their dominance today.

I liked the look of our forward line. We started with the two talls (Griffiths & Moore), two smalls (Stengle and Bolton) & a medium forward in Lennon. Probably the best I have ever seen a Richmond forward line function. Delivery was a bit wonky coming in initially, but once the midfield took control, the ball was being delivered in on a platter. If it did come in high, the talls would contest, and the crumbers would take care of the rest.

Outside of the first five or six minutes where Werribee had somewhat control over the game, it was pretty much all Richmond from there on in.

Chol played a good game at CHB - might be his position moving forward. Follow the ball coming in. He took some nice marks, and he has a nice long kick.

Maric/Bathie took control in the ruck. Graham was sensational in the first half. Obviously, my earlier comments generated some discussion and comments about his injury. I only reported what I saw as I think many people are interested. Some people are hard to please I suppose. Having said that, I'm pleased to here that it was only a sprain, as he looked very ginger. Based on this injury I don't think we will see him in the Seniors this year, however, if he wasn't injured I think he would have earned one or two games this season. Great hands and his kicking was effective. He's a ball winner and will end up an upgrade on Miles, which is not a bad thing.

I liked the look of Moore. He leads up well to the ball and has good hands. Works really hard and has great spirit out on the ground. If Griffiths wasn't going to make it back this year, I would be tempted to bring him in as the second tall and allow Jack to stay closer to goal. Or vice versa. Have Jack up the ground and Moore closer to goal. BTW Jack was at the game.

Corey Ellis was highly effective off half back. He has improved his core, many times, he was able to break a tackle and dish off a handball or get away a kick. I'm not sure what position he plays though. Is he quick enough for a half back? The modern game relies so heavily on turning defence into attack and he doesn't have the leg speed to provide that drive. However, he could make it up with his kicking. He has great vision and several times today he picked out a player that wasn't an obvious choice, however, it was the best choice. I'd like to see him the seniors sooner rather than later.

What do we with Lennon? He dominates at this level in the most difficult position on the ground - half-forward. He reads the game so well and he has sublime skills. He is a great shot for goal. I thought his defensive pressure was top shelf today. I think it will be down to him and Lloyd for that spot. My preference is Lennon. I think he has more upside.

Bolton was electric. Although he is a small/medium forward he plays tall if that makes sense. His vertical leap allows him to grab those high balls coming in. He makes things happen. He could find space in a phone box. I reckon he comes in for Butler for next week's game against GWS as I don't think they have a natural defender who could go to him. You can't ignore 5 goals in the twos.

I thought Griffiths was good. Really attacked the ball. Missed a couple of ones he would normally take but I think that touch will come with time. We must work towards getting him back into the seniors before finals.

Batchelor was good, Elton OK. Elton is not a good ruckman and a so-so KP. He's only there for insurance and I think he will be lucky to stay on the list. He's a competitor and never stops trying. I just hope Griffiths is able to stay injury free.

Hunt turned it over several times and I think Markov will/has gone past him. Perhaps we are harsher on him than others because we are looking for the errors. Much like we overlook Martin's high clanger levels, but then he doesn't offer much going the other way. He won't be on the list next year. Good on him though, played more AFL games than I ever did and he seems like a nice chap - hot girlfriend as well.

Stengle was good as well. Took a great set shot from the Bayside end tight on the boundary. Hopefully, he can build his tank to become a midfielder because he is so good with the ball in hand.

If we cycle forward to the end of the year I can see where the delistings will come from. Yarran delisted. Hunt delisted. Maric retired. Morris will be lucky to stay on the list IMO. There are four spots right there. Batchelor may be kept as insurance for defenders. Chol may get an upgrade. He is worth persisting with in my opinion. Perhaps this is for another thread.

Enjoyed the day down there. Shame that Frankston doesn't have a side. It's a good ground to watch the footy. They could draw on the footy lovers from the south and Mornington peninsula. You'd like to see the AFL spread some of that cash around to help the second tier competitions, especially for the stand alone sides.

I just wanted to say thank you! It's awesome having blokes like you that take time to fill those of us in who could not make it today. Top stuff!

According to my AFL app he had zero. So we are now singing his praises over a single tackle ? Go to bed.Repeat we need Him to either provide defensive pressure and score or assist goals. He's doing little of this and Bolton is on his heels. Stengle is not far away. As I stated Edwards needs to start performing as he's almost got 200 games on them with very little upside in comparison. Get it? If not go and watch his three EF and there's a thread which will educate you on most of his other poor performances. 197 games for 135 goals is pooh for a genuine small .
I will not argue this simple matter with you any further as its really annoying when somebody pulls out a minute and insignificant part of a post to make their argument without actually seeing or comprehending the actual crux of it.
His last three games he's failed to kick a goal with one tackle in each of them. This is hardly inspiring for a guy who's paid to be a forward to also apply defensive pressure.
This is why my original quote was
.......and Edwards as teams get better and stronger when there are players below putting pressure on non contributors above them. Now any true RFC supporter would want this as we haven't had something like this for over three decades.
Well you may be right as small forward, but last week when we were getting smashed Edwards was easily in our best couple of players as a midfielder. He hasn't had great year and probably will be replaced, but credit where credit is due.

Well you may be right as small forward, but last week when we were getting smashed Edwards was easily in our best couple of players as a midfielder. He hasn't had great year and probably will be replaced, but credit where credit is due.
No credit as he's been awful for three weeks and pretty well most of the season. I'm off to the game and cannot be bothered arguing about this lightweight with no upside. Sheds a midfielder ?? I've heard it all.

No credit as he's been awful for three weeks and pretty well most of the season. I'm off to the game and cannot be bothered arguing about this lightweight with no upside. Sheds a midfielder ?? I've heard it all.
You can be as dismissive as you like, watch the first quarter if you can stomach it again and see if you disagree. Anyway onward to this week.

I just wanted to say thank you! It's awesome having blokes like you that take time to fill those of us in who could not make it today. Top stuff!

I echoe that , guru still has me gagging for a serve of fish and chips after his parting report from franger. You can't leave us like that, what did you order

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like wise to you tiger 71 you give us some good inside info and keep us well informed on trades and deals, we all play to our strengths and look after each other.,,, ITS THE RICHMOND WAY

I echoe that , guru still has me gagging for a serve of fish and chips after his parting report from franger. You can't leave us like that, what did you order
Couldn't find a local one ,,, went to my fav in reservoir yarra street fish and chips,, 1 flake 2 potato cakes 2 fried dim sims and a chico roll as usual they were superb

fg0xFc5.png

HwfLMTo.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back