VFL Richmond VS Werribee at Punt Rd Oval on Sunday 12th of June

Remove this Banner Ad

Bathie's kicked a couple, so Johnno must've headed to the G.
Predicting GC 18.2.110 RIC 8.27.81
Still here. Had a beer to finish. Better last quarter after a bad start.
Chol reported
Happened right in front of me. Hard to tell without a replay but I reckon he'll get a couple for that. Shouldn't have happened in the first place. Townsend gave away a silly free after nailing a perfect tackle that wasn't rewarded.

Your absolutely right mate. TBH I'd play chol and C.Moore in front of him. He's dropped easy marks and doesn't get into dangerous enough spots. Casagna has been great this quarter. But loving Chols game

McBean reminds me of Vickery then ... except one gets paid about $250,000 a year more!

No I don't buy it. If there ever a place to but your name up including for other clubs, then its now and he isn't doing himself any favours.

Why?

Why do we have this unrealistic expectation that sports people are not normal people?

I'm not saying this is the case for McBean, but from all the rumours he is gone. So why put in an effort? He has won or come 2nd in the VFL goal kicking 3 years while watching Ty and Griff given games and he has played 2. Its not like those 2 are performing and apart from 1 or 2 games by Griff neither has outperformed McBean at VFL level. Any normal person in a normal job would eventually stop trying also as they see people around them rewarded for less results then they produce.

What i don't buy is why because he is an athlete he should be above normal human reactions. The same goes for leaving for bigger contracts and playing time. The AFL is slowly turning on that but its nothing like the NBA where players are actively encouraged to seek the best contract for their efforts, with the only incentive for loyalty is that your team can usually pay more.

Why?

Why do we have this unrealistic expectation that sports people are not normal people?

I'm not saying this is the case for McBean, but from all the rumours he is gone. So why put in an effort? He has won or come 2nd in the VFL goal kicking 3 years while watching Ty and Griff given games and he has played 2. Its not like those 2 are performing and apart from 1 or 2 games by Griff neither has outperformed McBean at VFL level. Any normal person in a normal job would eventually stop trying also as they see people around them rewarded for less results then they produce.

What i don't buy is why because he is an athlete he should be above normal human reactions. The same goes for leaving for bigger contracts and playing time. The AFL is slowly turning on that but its nothing like the NBA where players are actively encouraged to seek the best contract for their efforts, with the only incentive for loyalty is that your team can usually pay more.
But that's the point im making, if he wanted to put on a show to a perspective new club, spudding it up isn't what I call a notch on a resume. I understand your analogy but I also think if he wants to get picked up by another club, instead of our of the system, you maximize your own chances.

But that's the point im making, if he wanted to put on a show to a perspective new club, spudding it up isn't what I call a notch on a resume. I understand your analogy but I also think if he wants to get picked up by another club, instead of our of the system, you maximize your own chances.

He already has suitors and is gone ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theflea post: 45009454 said:
And we still would want a high pick for him, so it cancels that out.
He will be out of contract wont he? Not sure we'll be getting anything for the Beanster. If we dont recontract him, he go to the drafts and hope the teams talking to his management come through for him.

A couple for what. What did he do
So anyone wanna tell us what Chol did to get reported?
He belted a bloke in the face. Not sure if it was a closed fist or not but the bloke went down and didn't get up straight away. What I couldn't understand from the whole encounter was that Townsend had already given away the free kick (I think) but they didn't pay 50 after reporting Chol. I hope he gets off and it may not be as bad as it looked from a distance without a replay to have a second look. He looked really good down back. Did some really nice things, seems to read the play pretty well and his kicking is good. He has already shown more than Elton in half a season.

Would prefer Chol up forward
No , will learn a lot in defence , too often he is spectating in the front half , I only watched for 25minutes , he had a couple of constructive possies , really looked like he knew what he was doing, good leg on him too. Mcbean didn't touch it in that time

Decent crowd here.
Up 47-20 mid way through the third
Marcon, Menadue, Townsend getting involved
Chol is a lovely kick around the field.
McBean dropped a few he could have taken, disappointed with a few of his efforts.
Castagna done a few good things
Good left leg on him chol , I reckon we have a CHB in the Michael Johnson mould coming on

Chol is not a backmans arsrhike. Lost in th3 play. Not strong enough.

Simple fact. There are forwards. There are backs. Stop playing ppl out of possie or u will fu k their carreers. Bad coaching....
Bs that's exactly his problem in the front half , when in defence it's as simple as see ball get ball without having to make the play

Watched a combined 3/4 of the game. Arrived about halfway through first quarter left halfway through the last.

Must say when I arrived I was surprised to see us up by 2 goals and then leading by 4 goals at the first break especially after last weeks effort. Then again I'd suggest that they copped it all week leading into the game about how poor we were.

Chol impressed greatly at FB/CHB today. When I got there he was playing on Daw and was able to match him for the most part. In 1-1 strength Daw had him but when the ball hit the ground or was kicked to space Chol handled it well. In the second half he showed some real class, attacked the ball across HB and constantly set up rebound opportunities for the side. The report must have happened after I left. A few more games and with the mid year chance to upgrade I'd be tempted to bring Chol in for a few games.

Drummond played a full game and really impressed. Some of his desperation in the contest turned a hopeless cause into a win for us on occasion as he would use his speed to get across in front of opponents and win the footy then feed it out. Ball use was very clean as well and like Conca I'd give him a few more weeks at VFL level to ensure he is fully fit before bringing him back into the seniors.

Silvestre was the small bloke in 64 that some were asking about earlier. Some of his gathers in traffic were exceptional. Clean pick ups and quick hands to free the ball from congestion were very Titch like. We could do worse than giving the kid a rookie contract at seasons end if there are no better options around.

Outside that there wasn't much to right home about. McBean aka Bambi, played like Bambi for the most part. Very timid at the contest and while he did set up a couple of goals through smart play his impact was not what I'd like to see from someone who was in the squad of 25 for this week. Chaplin and Maric should enjoy the rest of the retirement tour they are currently on. Perfect chance for them to mentor the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back