richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
ok all yes i bet u all are laughing ya heads off at the tigers at the moment with a i told ya so and well to be honest i have to agree with u all this is a repeat of years gone past and its time that this once mighty proud club starts to make some hard decisions and not blame the coach and use him as a scapegoat.im a frawley fan and i believe we have an excelent coach in the making its just the cattle out on the feild who for once in there lives and im talking about the "senior players"take a long hard look at themselves.
do u all agree that the likes of campbell,knight,gale,daffy have had there chances and time to move on? or am i just being to harsh.
cheers!

No you are not being harsh at all. I think those players are the main cause of your woes. The belting you copped off Essendon IMO really damaged the confidence of your side. Your midfield is widely regarded as 'soft'...and stuggles when put under physical pressure. That is very unlike the 'tigers of old'.

You can't knock your players like Bowden, the Kellaways, Gasper etc., it is those players you have in the middle (your experienced players) that are letting the whole side down. Daffy gets dropped to the VFL and then injures himself, and Knights, Campbell and Gale go missing far too often in games. Especially when the chips are down.

There has to be a whole lot of soul searching done. Danny isn't the cause of your worries...it's the passion of his players that's the concern.

I knew Richmond were in trouble when I saw that over half the letters in the Herald Sun were bagging your players, and that was before yesterday's debacle.

I agree, Frawley definitely is a good coach and the blame must rest with your playing list. I mean, apart from Richo & Dragacevic, who is out for you guys??? I'm just so glad Hawthorn didn't draft Nick Daffy, have to be in the top 5 most overrated players in the league.

Gale should retire as well, his well past his prime. But instead of questioning the toughness of Richmond players, I think they should realise their side lacks the pace & skills and needs to rectify this before they will be anywhere near the top 4.

But definitely keep Krakouer in the side, a crumbing forward is another weakness of Richmond and this guy could be that man for the next 10 years with a bit of luck.

yes gasper and the kellaway brothers are hard at it but their weakness,s are exploited by the oppisition so its a catch 22 for us we lack hardness as it is but the players who are hard at the ball cant kick to save themselves which hurt us just as much as not being hard.danny and the match commitee have some hard decisions to make at the end of the year regarding a fair few of our players.
cheers!

Bowden, Chaffey, Knights and Tivendale are the most effective Richmond midfielders when it comes to making possessions count. Unfortunately, Bowden and Chaffey are the only ones that have done really well this season, because the other two don't get enough of the ball.
Daffy and Campbell are bomb merchants and get 30 easy touches and do nothing with them.
The only game I can recall where Knights got a heap of it, was against us (Kangaroos) - 29 or 30 possessions, from memory - and he was by far BOG on the night.
Knights can be more damaging with 15 touches than Campbell can with 30.

Tiger of Old...I didnt go yesterday as it was in Geelong...I listened to the game and and from other reports it was a pathetic 15 mins from our club...When the game is on the line none of our seniour players came to the for which was very dissapointing because i dont rate geelong much of a side without Riccardi and Burns...Its similar to last our form..After the 100 point belting we copped from them last year our season feel away..This year it seems to be much earlier...Players like Bowden HIlton who had a fantastic start to the year have gone missing and when Campbell and knights are being shawdowed we have noone to take the game by the scruff of the neck...The only positive i found from yetserday was a boy named Coughlan...On radio he seemed to tackiling hard and and going for the ball...To say Essendon crushed our confidence 3 weekes after the game is a load of rubbish in my eyes....Yes we were poor that day and our confidence was buried but surely 3 weeks later the players could lift....I dont think we are a soft team in hardness beacuse i dont believe no team in the AFL is actually soft...Definatley we are a metally soft team when the chips are down which is very dissapointing..I aslo do believe Frawley is the man for our future,.. its time the richmond football club after this year had a very hard look at its list...Maybe its time we bit the bullet and go a few steps back and blood the kids like Collingwood for future Success....This week our season is the line...I hope we do win because i have seen play some good football this year and to waste a 5-1 start would be very dissapointing..Chin Up boys and lets fight this out...

Go TIgers

Fair points Darky, but you miss the mark with Tivendale. He has hardly had a poor game all season and usually knocks up at least 15 kicks a week, none of which are those dinky little sideways kicks that usually flatter Campbell and most of which are those spearing 60m low trajectory rockets deep into the forward line!

Gaspers best game against Crows

Originally posted by tiger of old
yes gasper and the kellaway brothers are hard at it but their weakness,s are exploited by the oppisition so its a catch 22 for us we lack hardness as it is but the players who are hard at the ball cant kick to save themselves which hurt us just as much as not being hard.danny and the match commitee have some hard decisions to make at the end of the year regarding a fair few of our players.
cheers!

I reckon Frawley is a good coach, and hey.... Gaspars game against the Crows was the best Ive seen him play.

Id agree that his kickins not flash but its improved, like his leadership. I also reckon Knights has only always been a burst player; Daffy needs a rocket, and as much as he gets up my nose:( I reckon Cambells a good honest player.

Richmond will come again.

If they can have a percentage building win over Freo, a bit of bonding in Perth where the boys have a few beers (Like Blighty did with the Crows in 1998?) - the defining moment of the season(I think he said)I reckon they can beat Carlton!!

However your right, if some of the younger group wernt puttin in ,Richmond would be in a worse state!!

And ER ...Go Crows:( ;) :confused: :eek:

ty all for trying to put on a postive outlook on the tigers [just wish i had the same faith but i like the rest of the tiger army we have seen all this before] however one funny thing from yesterdays game was i feel if richo was playing we would have won weird hey.as to next weks game bring in some more youngsters we have nothing to lose.
cheers!

A lot of people have mentioned that is time for Wayne Campbell and Nick Daffy to move on and go to another club.

But i think they have deloped a style of bombing, that has come from the fact, that Richmond has the tallest forward line in the competition. Richmond, generally, have Ottens and Richardson in the forward line, and sometimes Gale down there, meaning 3 players, all over 195 cm.

With Gale on the verge of retiring, this style of play will not be toleratedat Richmond, because Richardson will be the only really tall player in the forward line, as Ottens will be in the ruck most times.

If Campbell and Daffy went to another club, with a not so tall forward line, they will be found out as having shocking disposal which is totally ineffective. The only reason people rate these two, is because they;re style of disposal suits the Richmond forward structure.

Joel Bowden has the potential to be a Brownlow Medalist, very good player, with silky skills, and despite being 6 foot, and a couple of inches, he is able to get the ball at ground level with no problem against guys who are 3-4 inches smaller then him. Bowden is the type of player, every club wants.

Greg Tivendale is going to be a good player, has a boomer of a left foot kick, and should develop into one of Richmond's main men.

Danny Frawley is a good coach, with some good ideas, just doesn't quite have the maturity in the squad to make it into a succesful team just yet.

The future is bright for Richmond, when they get a bit of maturity about some of the youngsters, they will become a formidable team.

Hmm, Richmond, everyone knows i have a great dislike for the Tigers but ...
Yesterday they gave geelong the four points on a silver platter, but i must admit that geelong's mistakes kept the Tigers in the game, if we had burns and ricco in, we probably would have lead by 4 or 5 goals at 3/4 time. The tigers, are soft, marshmellows, and it's no use in disgusing that fact. Yes they missed Richardson, but clubs cannot rely on one player to turn their season around. Knights should retire, i cannot see any possible value in him continuing next season, Campbell is a reciever, and most of the midfield is the same. The foward line is a big worry, rogers is really not up to AFL standard at the moment, and they will probably lose to Fremantle on account of a leading, presenting foward, with the exception of ottens, who cannot pick up the slack every week.
They are in big trouble, Richmond.

Some of the blame can be laid on the coach. Tigers players were under enough pressure without the added contribution from Danny. His big statements made in the past about "every dog has its day..." may come to hurt him in the future, and now he comes out about how the Ben Graham statement on the footy show was used as a spur only contribute to the coach looking a bit of an idiot. You don't need to put your side under pressure like that. They shouldn't need revving up with dumbass replays from a dumbass footy show.

You guys are on a hiding to nothing re the Dogs/Tigers rematch, no thanks to Frawley. Imagine the embarrassment next time if you lose? Us, well if we lose, who really cares?

Originally posted by tiger of old
ok all yes i bet u all are laughing ya heads off at the tigers at the moment with a i told ya so and well to be honest i have to agree with u all this is a repeat of years gone past and its time that this once mighty proud club starts to make some hard decisions and not blame the coach and use him as a scapegoat.im a frawley fan and i believe we have an excelent coach in the making its just the cattle out on the feild who for once in there lives and im talking about the "senior players"take a long hard look at themselves.
do u all agree that the likes of campbell,knight,gale,daffy have had there chances and time to move on? or am i just being to harsh.
cheers!

Agreed Bulldogs, you saw Brendon Gale on Foxtel's footy show too!

Ben Graham actually said he didn't think Richmond were soft, only that certain factions of the press alluded to that fact.

If Danny Frawley needs that to fire his team up, then they are big trouble, and Danny needs to concentrate on his side rather than what others think about them

The true fact is, Richmond yesterday were soft. They were very reactive and often didn't initiate play, they sat back and waited for Geelong to make mistakes, which they did at regular intervals and also kept them in the game for 3 1/2 quarters. Unfortunately for them, Geelong didn't make too many mistakes when the game was to be won.

I felt very sorry for Ottens yesterday, he played a great game but when it became apparent that no-one was going to help him out, he decided to take his frustrations out on a couple of Geelong players instead of his teammates, costing his side an extra goal.

Richardson would have made a difference to Richmond yesterday, because Graham would not have been able to play forward, but having said that, Riccardi and Burns would have just about cancelled Richo out, as they would have dominated throught the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allow me to fly in the face of conventional wisdom!

If we had Richo available yesterday it would not have made one bit of difference to the result.

You see I have this very simple theory on how football is played which basically goes like:

A Forward is absolutely useless unless someone kicks the ball to him!

Think about it! You can have Lloyd, Richo, Carey, Modra and Tredrea all lined up in the forward line but it aint worth a pinch of sh!t if no-one kicks it to them!

And that is essentially Richmond's problem. Not enough ball going into the forward line (Conversely, too much ball into the oppositions) The inside 50 stat was 53 / 35 in Geelongs favour.

In previous weeks it has been 62 / 40 (Adelaide) and 62 / 38 against Essendon.

Can anybody spot a pattern here?

Not surprisingly we have conceded 120, 120 and 118 points in the last three weeks.

Can anybody spot another pattern here?

In short, our midfield's workrate was too low, with too many passengers and this is why we are being beaten.

cjh in the 1st half ottens was too strong for his opponent but also graham was more than a handful for gasper however if richo was in the side it would have forced geelong to play graham in the backline on either richo or ottens who knows under that senerio but we would have had the luxury of having richo at f/fwd with graham as an opponent and ottens in the ruck against king who killed us yesterday when up against gale and hall. geelong,s attack looked more lethal with graham up there however the reality is richo wasnt there and once again we were left pondering where do we go from here.
ps to cat supporters before ya jump down my throat u guys deserved to win u wanted it more than us simple as that.
cheers!

Too true.

Our midfield is really letting us down. We need more deliverance into the forward line!
I wouldn't really put too much blame on campbo (biast or not) as he racks up the possies yet his kicks into the forward 50 aren't exactly magic.
Gale's getting a bit slow.
Daffy's out of form. I bet the timer won't go off htough cos he's been out of form for so long.
I can't really comment on anyone else. I haven't seen enough of our games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back