Richmond's 7 Consecutive MCG Games

Is Richmond's 7 consecutive games at the MVG unfair?

• Yes

Votes: 156 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 188 54.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went back and had a look at the last seven MCG games and did a little bit of analysis. The thing is for 6/7 games it wouldn’t have mattered where we played because we won all our games comprehensively anyway.

17 vs GWS - had already played them in Sydney earlier in the year so we were due a home game. Won easily.
18 vs Port - had already played them and beat them in Adelaide earlier in the year. Again due a home game but wouldn’t have mattered because we won easily.
19 vs Collingwood - Away game for Richmond so I suppose we could have played them in Alice Springs? Wouldn’t have mattered as we would have beaten Collingwood anywhere that night.
20 vs Melbourne - Away game for Richmond. Maybe we should have played this one in Shanghai? Again, no matter where we played Melbourne we would have beaten them easily.
21 vs Carlton - Would have smashed them anywhere anyway.
22 vs West Coast - We were due a home game vs Eagles anyway, we played you in Perth last year and you’d played at home the week before.
23 vs Brisbane - based on the QF we actually would have won by more at the Gabba anyway.
Logic doesn't seem to apply to those from way out west

Can someone, anyone, find an example where a team (any sporting competition) plays 7 games on their home ground in a row before finals to be played on the same home ground (regardless whether the team shares that ground with another team). In fact can you find any competition on the planet where a home team plays 7 weeks in a row on their home ground at any time during the year. And if you can’t (and I’m guessing you cant) ask yourself honestly why that is??????
It's weird fixturing no doubt....however...i argue that had we played gws at home earlier in the year and played them away late in the year then there was a greater chance of us winning both games and in that case finishing first ...or not losing by 40 points and more likely finishing 2nd and not having to travel in the first week of finals.

In the end you have to play where the afl tell you to play and beat who you have to beat. There's no point in whinging and whining.

lol...it was a response to other Tiger fans coming to our board and claiming the Tigers flag was harder than our flag last year

seriously delusional
You got to play the perennial losers in the grand final...you were gifted a flag on a black and white platter...even st kilda beat the pies in a grand final.....the pies have lost more grand finals than you've had players on drug charges.

Am i doing it right?

You won the flag, go have a beer and celebrate and get over it that we just won two

You got to play the perennial losers in the grand final...you were gifted a flag on a black and white platter...even st kilda beat the pies in a grand final.....the pies have lost more grand finals than you've had players on drug charges.

Am i doing it right?

You won the flag, go have a beer and celebrate and get over it that we just won two
I think there is a grudging mutual respect. We played the game of the year in my opinion, however there is no doubt that we had a hangover from last year which was evident all year while you guys had unfinished business.

Am i doing it right?

To be fair the pies have lost as many grand finals 27 as the saints have won spoons 27 so yeah I guess the odds were that west coast were handed the flag on a platter

I think there is a grudging mutual respect. We played the game of the year in my opinion, however there is no doubt that we had a hangover from last year which was evident all year while you guys had unfinished business.
I was there rd 22...by far the best game i've seen all year. If that was the grand final then people would say it rivalled 1989

No doubt, regardless of who you are, or where you play the games, a settled run of consecutive games at one’s home ground can only contribute to a club’s comfort and playing levels.
Richmond was good enough to win games wherever it played once it hit its straps in the second half of season- best team for three years now- but that run of games didn’t hurt. Silly to argue otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i don't think any team has finished a season with 7 consecutive games at their home venue, with 5 consecutive weeks of 7+ day turnarounds in the most fatiguing part of the season and bound finals. They had the advantage in all those matches purely for the fact they had ideal recovery and preparation conditions.

It happened, and it should never happen again
Collingwood 2010 played their last 7 H&A games at the G.
Although it kind of proves your point as they also went on to win a premiership. Took them a couple of attempts though, and they also played all of their finals at the G, not having to travel interstate during the finals like Richmond did. So Richmond's flag was surely more deserving and hard fought than Collingwood's, don't you agree?

37 years true.

Just imagine how s**t a club has to be to fu** up 37 years worth of an advantage.

Oh boy. Oh boy wowee.

There are bigger droughts and have been bigger droughts. Big clubs arent immune to droughts. Careful, west coke might be next, you never know.

i don't think any team has finished a season with 7 consecutive games at their home venue, with 5 consecutive weeks of 7+ day turnarounds in the most fatiguing part of the season and bound finals. They had the advantage in all those matches purely for the fact they had ideal recovery and preparation conditions.

It happened, and it should never happen again
Frankly as a Richmond supporter, I'd prefer to have the MCG games more evenly spread. Dropping to 9th, then having to play out of your skin and win the last 12 in a row is pretty taxing and exhausting for a supporter. I'd much rather we never drop out of the 8, and have the option to drop a few games in the second half of the season.

2019 was exhausting. 2017 was fun and exhilarating. 2018 was just weird.

Frankly as a Richmond supporter, I'd prefer to have the MCG games more evenly spread. Dropping to 9th, then having to play out of your skin and win the last 12 in a row is pretty taxing and exhausting for a supporter. I'd much rather we never drop out of the 8, and have the option to drop a few games in the second half of the season.

2019 was exhausting. 2017 was fun and exhilarating. 2018 was just weird.

2018 was very weird and tense. I did not like the fact we were on top the whole time, even though thats a good thing. No one talked about us. No one wanted too because we just won most games. Sitting on top the whole year and waiting for not only finals but going deep in finals was super odd.

The above in bold is a great point and I imagine most fans of the big four clubs feel the same - nobody wants long runs of having to watch games on Tele (or worse still having to go to Docklands for weeks on end) and having big blocks of fixtures away from the G.

A good spread in a fixture is good for fans, good for interest levels and good for the clubs IMO.

The above in bold is a great point and I imagine most fans of the big four clubs feel the same - nobody wants long runs of having to watch games on Tele (or worse still having to go to Docklands for weeks on end) and having big blocks of fixtures away from the G.

A good spread in a fixture is good for fans, good for interest levels and good for the clubs IMO.
Yep. I couldn't sit in my expensive MCG seats that I'd upgraded to this year until ROUND 6! Would have been a couple of weeks earlier, but Collingwood owns the City end even for away games. 😡

Was a very slow start to the season this year.

Gifted a top four spot with that run of home games and therefore the easiest QF via Brisbane. Took out a tired and inconsistent Geelong before a completely cooked GWS in the worst GF in years.
Haha
Geelong lost to Brissie up there coming onto finals.
It was nearly as big as Hawthorns win over you’se lot.
Where you tired and inconsistent or completely cooked or perhaps just beaten by a better team?
Like Geelong, Brisbane and GWS were.

No doubt, regardless of who you are, or where you play the games, a settled run of consecutive games at one’s home ground can only contribute to a club’s comfort and playing levels.
Richmond was good enough to win games wherever it played once it hit its straps in the second half of season- best team for three years now- but that run of games didn’t hurt. Silly to argue otherwise.
And if we had have lost to Port, Fremantle, and St Kilda on the road, and against Sydney in a 'home' game at Marvel, in the first 15 weeks of the season when half our list was out, we would have been 4-10 instead of 8-6 heading into the Gold Coast game before our last 7 at the 'G. Don't think any oppo supporters would be complaining about our draw then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back