Richmond's 7 Consecutive MCG Games

Is Richmond's 7 consecutive games at the MVG unfair?

• Yes

Votes: 156 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 188 54.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
As a pom I'd like to thank the West Coast Eagles Big Footy fanbase for taking the title of "World's Biggest Whingers" from us. :thumbsu:
Easy to say when you’re a Richmond fan. The last time you had anything to complain about afl house went into lockdown

finals most years....
True. The teams with the biggest home ground advantage, Geelong and Eagles, do make the finals most years. Ironically they're also the clubs who's supporters whinge the most about how unfair it all is.
It must be bloody embarrassing for the non-whinging silent majority of their supporters.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
At the time getting pumped by the undermanned hawks at home was seen as a pretty big choke.

Not sure if there was much mention of richmond games at the mcg then
We played tigers the week before at the mcg.

A hard fought game against the eventual premiers in the wet and a long flight there and back.

I can find innumerable bigfooty posters whove posted the week after after playing a wa team in wa that their team is less likely to win this week because of the long road trip.

Almost every time a vic team has played the eagles at optus the commentators waffle about “the hardest trip in footy”

Amazingly it seems that you all thing a flight from east to west and back is difficult and affects the next week accordingly - yet cant see the opposite - yet alone the cumulative effects of doing it every second week

[QUOTE ="Jukesy85, post: 57057397, member: 174912"]Getting an extra two days break and Hawthorn having to fly back from Perth while we haven’t left Etihad since the 14th will be a huge advantage (I don’t even know why this was allowed in the fixturing in the first place).

But knowing us and having the advantage, we’ll probably screw it up and lose after such a promising few months. Absolutely have to win this to make finals so they better be fired up, don’t deserve to play finals if we can’t beat the Hawks[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="Guardian Hawk, post: 57057729, member: 8642"]Not sure it is that even. It looks to be the case on the ladder but Essendon now are not the same rabble from the start of the year.

A ladder of the last 10 weeks would actually have Essendon sitting on top of the ladder. Meanwhile, Hawthorn have only been beating the bottom teams lately (and even then losing to the likes of Brisbane at home).

Add to that your pace (Hawthorn's biggest kryptonite), 2 fewer days break and Hawthorn returning from Perth, Essendon deserve to be warm favourites.

Really hope we can win though as your mob is the only team I genuinely can't stand. I doubt there'll be any actual fights as no one will risk getting suspended at this time of the year.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="MowShow, post: 57065321, member: 131541"]Trying to be optimistic but honestly can't see us getting within 5 goals of the bombers here..

I think our average form in recent times has been largely masked by our draw - i.e. recent big wins have people thinking we are playing at a higher level than we actually are, but they have been against freo, carlton, gold coast, the dogs etc. To be fair (from memory) the lions are the only team that has really got a hold of us this season. But my point is its pretty hard to get a read on our form.

On the other hand, the bombers have been really impressive lately. Aside from a couple of games without Fantasia they have looked hot. Sicily and Howe are 2 important players for us and coming off a 6 day break back from Perth, I can see them opening us up with their speed (which is an issue for us at the best of times).

Also can't see us being able to kick a winning score against the Bomber's defense, particularly with their style of play which will likely lead to them scoring in the ball park of 100.

Bombers by 38.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="StillAtLarge, post: 57076992, member: 162586"]The only reason Essendon are favourites is because they'll have 2 days extra prep and didn't play in Perth last round. I dare say we would be slight favourites otherwise.

And no, I'm not getting my excuses in early. We don't appear to be carrying any crocked players and seemed to coast through the last quarter v freo with this game in mind so if we're good enough- we'll win.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="Godzke, post: 57078655, member: 79677"]Players saw the difference after half time against Sydney when you lower the eyes when entering 50. Important we continue to look for the shorter lead up targets rather than kicking to a pack and hoping a small crumbs it. Particularly important against a team that ranks highly for i50s but lowly for clearances.

Extra two break and not flying back from Perth should mean we run out this game better than Hawthorn. Relatively dry conditions predicted, which also bodes in our favour.[/QUOTE]

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Missing out on a single home cooked dinner to play Gold Coast after the bye sure didn’t hurt either
It was getting over 25% of the best 22 side back. That's what it was.
The injuries coincided with our early tough draw. We wouldn't have been 7-6, we'd have been at least 9-4, 10-3. With the "away" part of the draw.

But you keep on thinking it was just the MCG. Look at the margins on every game after the bye bar vs you guys. We weren't losing those games home or away.

We were the best side, MCG or not.

Time to build a bridge.

It’s not well unders for a b grade fringe player

What? You expect a compo pick equal to buddy franklin or something?
Nup. Just something along the lines of Lycett or Motlop.
Although can you imagine the whinging if West Coast and Geelong didn't get better compensation than other clubs. It would be all just so unfair apparently.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Nup. Just something along the lines of Lycett or Motlop.
Although can you imagine the whinging if West Coast and Geelong didn't get better compensation than other clubs. It would be all just so unfair apparently.
Lycett and Motlop were overs, we got lucky. We were a whisker away from losing Gaff for nothing and got unders for Selwood. You’re not hard done by, as much as you’d like to think so, it happens to every club and Ellis aint no world beater

Lycett and Motlop were overs, we got lucky. We were a whisker away from losing Gaff for nothing and got unders for Selwood. You’re not hard done by, as much as you’d like to think so, it happens to every club
I don't think Richmond are particularly hard done by. Sure it'd be great if we got to play all of our home games at our home ground, but it's the Eagles and Geelong are the clubs that are treated most unjustly.
I think it's just outrageous how the AFL gets away with treating these clubs so poorly. It's all just so unfair.

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
True. The teams with the biggest home ground advantage, Geelong and Eagles, do make the finals most years. Ironically they're also the clubs who's supporters whinge the most about how unfair it all is.
It must be bloody embarrassing for the non-whinging silent majority of their supporters.
Or as embarrassing probably more for Tigers fans whinging about their draw!!!

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think Richmond are particularly hard done by. Sure it'd be great if we got to play all of our home games at our home ground, but it's the Eagles and Geelong are the clubs that are treated most unjustly.
I think it's just outrageous how the AFL gets away with treating these clubs so poorly. It's all just so unfair.
When will it change!!??

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Richmond fans need to understand that they’re a privileged club these days, and should accept the fact that when they receive extra privileges - such as a lopsided draw giving them a dream run home through the toughest part of the season, people are going to notice and point them out. No need to be offended folks

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Richmond fans need to understand that they’re a privileged club these days, and should accept the fact that when they receive extra privileges - such as a lopsided draw giving them a dream run home through the toughest part of the season, people are going to notice and point them out.
Probably Blind Freddie and his old man may have noticed!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back