Richmond's best-of-the-best during your football lifetime

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea. You've definitely been paying more attention than me. There's a bunch of players in your team that I don't remember at all, and a few I'd forgotten had played in Yellow and Black.

Also agree that the mainstream BF (tautology, I know) position of hating a recycled player is silly. We've gotten a lot of service out of those types.

I'm gunna recycle your team of recycled players, and put in my changes in with an underline. I know I have four ruckmen (I would have poked in Dear too, if I could have found a way...), but I have brought in a Brownlow Medallist and a former captain, both known for running hard to make up for it. I reckon my team could beat your team ;)

B: Patrick Bowden Ben Holland Jordan McMahon
HB: Tim Fleming Graham Polak Bachour Houli
C: Craig Biddiscombe John Rombotis Adam Houlihan
HF: Paul Hudson Troy Simmonds Steven Sziller
F: Justin Blumfield Brad Miller Aaron Edwards

Foll: Ivan Maric Ben Cousins Kane Johnson
Interchange: Greg Stafford Shaun Grigg Anthony Miles Clinton King
Emergency: Adam Thomson Tom Hislop Matt Thomas

If you're going to be serious about this, then you will definitely need Nathan Brown in there. Also Paul Broderick & Butch Gale, maybe Rory Hilton? Darren Gaspar was stolen from Sydney, but still didn't make up for them stealing Stuart Maxfield in my opinion. I'm sure there are others.....
Ben Holland was recycled? I'd forgotten that. Must have done SFA before we got him.

Pretty underrated was Michael Pickering ..... a beacon for us in some of those dark days in the mid-to-late 80s.
And who could forget the annual ... well almost weekly debate about whether Hoggy should play full back or full forward and why we didn't have two of him.
If Big Footy was around in those days the thread would have spread across 4000 pages.

Michael Pickering was a short KPP player that is very underrated. We had a limp forward line, but there was a period when Pickers and Stephen James looked a likely "Batman and Robin" forward line. I remember Pickers dominated a game against Hawthorn at Princess Park. He also won a game at the SCG in the last 10 minutes. Could take a screamer, accurate kick and very good in traffic. Didn't fit the KPP mould, but played like one.

Also something to consider is should you nominate a tagger in the team.
They are out of favour in the modern game but were a major factor in the past.
In my time of going to te footy "The Glove" D. Kelleway is the standout choice. Could stop the best and get his fair share of the ball at the same time.

D Kellaway was versatile for his size and ability. A dour defender - rarely beaten. He also was an effective tagger - regularly keeping Buckley and Hird out of the contest completely. He had his knockers due to his kicking, but he more than made up for that with his courage and defensive ability.

For every Ottens, Schultz or Rodan who plays decent footy at a new club after leaving the Tigers there are heaps that fail.
Mitch Morton was lucky to play in the finals, hardly played before then. Derricx, Angus Graham, Tambling. I remember West Coast thinking they could straighten JON up after we delisted him. Hawthorn picked up Jurica, Adam Pattinson from us (& now TV, lol) and got SFA from them.
Even very decent players from us didn't seem to kick on: Ashley Prescott & Chris Bond went to Freo, Andrew Raines at Brisbane.

I am more restricted not so much by age, but because I grew up in the country and didn't really start going to the footy until mid 90's.

A player I would throw in that left us to early is Maxfield on a wing. Some memorable runs down the wing and that racking left foot!
Stuey was a champion...never understood why we traded him

Stuey was a champion...never understood why we traded him
Others will know better than me, but I can remember it being discussed in a previous thread. Contract negotiations where we wouldn't offer him the extra $50 000 or something that he wanted?
I remember Craig Lambert deciding to leave after he discovered his name being mentioned in trade talks and then picking his own destination.

Good off season thread :thumbsu:

As a 70's kid (well born late in 69 so I don't remember much of that decade) I didn't really pay much attention until late 70's maybe even 80 so I base my memories post our last flag. It was a difficult period that still hasn't ended with some really talented players mixed in with many battlers so it's hard to really commit to some of those. Probably a few favourites I recall were KB, Roach, General Lee, JJ and Flea through the 80's with most of my memories in the 90's. Loved the workman like role both the Gale boys brought in and probably my best player in Richo narrowly over Knighter.

B: A Kellaway, S Turner, J Bowden
HB: B Deledio, A Rance, M Gale
C: D Weightman, W Campbell, J Jess
HF: N Daffy, B Gale, J Riewoldt
F: M Richardson, M Roach, K Bartlett
Foll: M Lee, M Knights, P Broderick
IC: N Foley, M Coughland, M Pickering, M Rioli

Coach, J Northey, had the guys playing well above themselves before we punted him :oops: oh what might have been.

Several others I tossed up in K Johnson, B Ottens, D Gaspar, S Maxfield, K Lambert, J Hogg, T Nicholls, J Charles, C Newman, M Chaffey, .........and many many more. It was also hard to omit Cotch and/or Dusty but they have a chance to re-write history over the next five years.

Poor old Ty was also stiff ;)

Yep similar with 72' birth.

B: A Kellaway Turner Cameron
HB: J Bowden Rance Deledio
C: Raines Rioli Rogers
HF: Brown Richardson Martin
FF: Reiwoldt Roach Bartlett
FOL: Lee Cotchin Knights
I: Weightman Broderick Free M Pickering

EMERG: Hogg Bond Coghlan M Gale

Id take the 1980 team with Rioli and BT added.

I remember crowds used to flock in to the Richmond reserves games to watch Brian Taylor snag a bag of goals,was an exciting prospect.

Media made a huge thing of the twin towers and it got to our forwards heads.

The 67-74 team was the stuff of legends,like the best music of that era.

Was a bit young to remember that team.

Always dreaded being born in the 60s,born in the 50s is the greatest period to get to see that magnificent team and listen to the greatest music.

I am greatly jealous of those born in the fifties.

Maurice,in my time is the greatest player to put on the Richmond jumper but KB is a dead set immortal of our club going back through our great era of premierships.

Sick of talking about the past.
Wanna see Jack,Rance,Dusty aand Cotchin talked about in the same terms.

I wanna see the greatest party in Melbourne town when we win a flag.

I will be in tears hugging random Tigers knowing all the years weve wanted a flag.

Will be the greatest thing to happen to footy for a long long time.

Last edited:
Others will know better than me, but I can remember it being discussed in a previous thread. Contract negotiations where we wouldn't offer him the extra $50 000 or something that he wanted?
I remember Craig Lambert deciding to leave after he discovered his name being mentioned in trade talks and then picking his own destination.

IT'S kinda ironic, isn't it. Upset your club is considering sending you elsewhere, but you decide to go anyway!

Id take the 1980 team with Rioli and BT added.

I remember crowds used to flock in to the Richmond reserves games to watch Brian Taylor snag a bag of goals,was an exciting prospect.

Media made a huge thing of the twin towers and it got to our forwards heads.

The 67-74 team was the stuff of legends,like the best music of that era.

Was a bit young to remember that team.

Always dreaded being born in the 60s,born in the 50s is the greatest period to get to see that magnificent team and listen to the greatest music.

I am greatly jealous of those born in the fifties.

Maurice,in my time is the greatest player to put on the Richmond jumper but KB is a dead set immortal of our club going back through our great era of premierships.

Sick of talking about the past.
Wanna see Jack,Rance,Dusty aand Cotchin talked about in the same terms.

I wanna see the greatest party in Melbourne town when we win a flag.

I will be in tears hugging random Tigers knowing all the years weve wanted a flag.

Will be the greatest thing to happen to footy for a long long time.

Amazing to think in '82 we had the best two centremen in the league in our side - Rioli and Raines - arguably the best of their era, alongside that bloke who we don't mention who coached us a few years ago.
How we ******* up is incredible!

Amazing to think in '82 we had the best two centremen in the league in our side - Rioli and Raines - arguably the best of their era, alongside that bloke who we don't mention who coached us a few years ago.
We got too big for our boots,GR prided on the fact we won flags training in facilities well past their prime.

Thought we could just turn up and premierships would fly through the doors of Punt Road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That '82 team was a bit like Richmond's 72 team.

I remember watching that team smash the Dees and the Saints by 100 points plus in consecutive games.

Oops looked at the stats and it was 75 and 83 points,felt like 100.
We actually knocked over Geelong by 84 then Footscray by 62 points in the next two games.

Can never forget that massive crowd of 90k plus when we knocked over the Bombers,one of the highlights of my life.
Last quarter we kicked ten goals,I was near the cheer squad ,front of the upper deck,the sound the cheer squad generated then was massive.

Last edited:
I like the idea. You've definitely been paying more attention than me. There's a bunch of players in your team that I don't remember at all, and a few I'd forgotten had played in Yellow and Black.

Also agree that the mainstream BF (tautology, I know) position of hating a recycled player is silly. We've gotten a lot of service out of those types.

I'm gunna recycle your team of recycled players, and put in my changes in with an underline. I know I have four ruckmen (I would have poked in Dear too, if I could have found a way...), but I have brought in a Brownlow Medallist and a former captain, both known for running hard to make up for it. I reckon my team could beat your team ;)

B: Patrick Bowden Ben Holland Jordan McMahon
HB: Tim Fleming Graham Polak Bachour Houli
C: Craig Biddiscombe John Rombotis Adam Houlihan
F: Justin Blumfield Brad Miller Aaron Edwards

Foll: Ivan Maric Ben Cousins Kane Johnson
Interchange: Greg Stafford Shaun Grigg Anthony Miles Clinton King
Emergency: Adam Thomson Tom Hislop Matt Thomas
If you're gonna be sensible about a recycled team you would have Nathan Brown in there.

If you're going to be serious about this, then you will definitely need Nathan Brown in there. Also Paul Broderick & Butch Gale, maybe Rory Hilton? Darren Gaspar was stolen from Sydney, but still didn't make up for them stealing Stuart Maxfield in my opinion. I'm sure there are others.....
Ben Holland was recycled? I'd forgotten that. Must have done SFA before we got him.

As much as I enjoyed Butch, not sure he'd make my team. And Hilton is well back in my line.

Holland was a weird story. Drafted to Fitzroy. Never played a game, then got traded to Richmond. Dunno how that stuck in my mind. He also fits with the other talk of ex-Tigers who went on to do something good elsewhere. He was pretty handy for the Demons.

The Gas is a good one! I was looking for some KPD too. I'd forgotten Broderick was recycled, and he is also in.

In: Gaspar, Broderick
Out: Polak, Jordy McMahon (moustache)

B: Patrick Bowden Darren Gaspar Bachour Houli
HB: Tim Fleming Ben Holland Adam Houlihan
C: Craig Biddiscombe John Rombotis Paul Broderick
F: Justin Blumfield Brad Miller Nathan Brown
Foll: Ivan Maric, Ben Cousins, Kane Johnson

Interchange: Greg Stafford, Shaun Grigg, Anthony Miles, Clinton King

Not bad for a bunch of retreads.

Born in '69.
First game in '75 (Geel v Foot)
First Richmond game '77 (vs Coll, MCG)

Never saw Royce. Can barely remember Sheedy or Balme. The games that I can clearly remember, pretty much start sometime in 1978.

B: Malthouse Rance Bourke
HB: Keane Jess J.Bowden
C: Wood Raines Knights
HF: Bartlett Richardson Wiley
F: Cloke Roach Rogers
Foll: Lee Rioli
Rov: Weightman
I/C: Cotchin Rowlings D.Kellaway Riewoldt

That '82 team was a bit like Richmond's 72 team.

I remember watching that team smash the Dees and the Saints by 100 points plus in consecutive games.

Oops looked at the stats and it was 75 and 83 points,felt like 100.
We actually knocked over Geelong by 84 then Footscray by 62 points in the next two games.

Can never forget that massive crowd of 90k plus when we knocked over the Bombers,one of the highlights of my life.
Last quarter we kicked ten goals,I was near the cheer squad ,front of the upper deck,the sound the cheer squad generated then was massive.

The '82 team was near unbeatable.
We copped the only conditions possible to beat us (weather-wise) as we had a top-heavy team with Lee, Dunne, Martello, Strachan, Roach, Clloke, Jess
We had the highest goalkicker in the VFL,reserves and under 19s if my memory serves correct.

Peter Lane in the '19s.
Kicked a tonne.

We had the highest goalkicker in the VFL,reserves and under 19s if my memory serves correct.

Correct.
Roach
Jackson (Reserves)
Taylor (U19).

And we won the McClelland Trophy that year, for those that remember what that trophy was all about!

Haere Ra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back