Richmond's best-of-the-best during your football lifetime

Remove this Banner Ad

true story i have only two times in my life verbally abused a player to there face,fiora while drunk in fnq(good story) and while very young with my mates in the mcg carpark after a game to david honeybun.not proud but thats just how angry he got me.i always wanted to abuse howat but was afraid his supporters who always held up the howat banner would bash me!

Richmond supporters and history tends to mark Kane Johnson harshly for his time at Tigerland.
Was a pretty consistent player IMO.
Thought that night he kicked the opening kick of the season the wrong way I could have throttled him!
Yeah, but did he kick into the wind??

Thought he was a good player...nothing special...good player in a good crows team..Kane Johnson..
100% good player and good guy but we had allot of great midfield talent i just dont think hes better.more so those richmond players played in worst teams.

Patrick Bowden, Will Thurstfield, Luke McGuane

Brad Helbig, Jayden Post, Jordan McMahon

Mitch Farmer, Jeromey Webberley, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls

Cleve Hughes, Brad Miller, Ben Nason

Aaron Edwards, Ty Vickery, Aadam Maric

Ruck: Andrew Browne, Dean Polo, Tom Hislop

I reckon I saw that team getting belted by the Brisbane Lions, in the rain, at the MCG, with 5 thousand other poor bastards.

Nason was our best - 3 votes. Post got 2 votes because he tried hard, although frankly, his effort seemed to make things worse. Bowden got 1 vote for constantly opening up play with a switch. (Sadly, he kept kicking it to McGuane in the other back pocket, and McGuane always went the barrel down the line and put it out on the full.) Vickery stood on the point of the goal square, all game, gesturing for a 90 metre kick over his head, so he got an honourable mention in the write-up for the papers. It's difficult to stand still for an entire game.

Being born in 59, and going to see the successful teams through the early 70s had a big impact on my opinion. Sheedy, Mcghie. Bourke Cameron Clay Balme
, barrot wood maxfield
Roach Richo KB
Rioli JR Wood
Knights Lee Dusty
IC Stewart Greene Naish Hart

That's a fine team. Interesting to see Naish in front of Broderick or Campbell. (Wayne is also absent from most people's team...) Also interesting to see Dusty picked but not Rance, Cotchin, Deledio or Riewoldt.

I remember that article...
...even more so because I was surprised at the time it was written by an opposition carlton player
the enemy in praise of one of Richmond's and the game's greatest players...
I kept it too...but its gone now...with a lot of other things too...

I'm taking a different angle on this and going with the 95 team. Enjoyed every player that year and was by far the most enjoyable season I've been able to watch....Knights, daffy, naish, Max field, jurica, kellaway, Turner so many great names that resonate for me.

I'm filling in the off-season by watching old games. This weekend, I watched the '95 semi-final against Essendon. I was so impressed by the team sheet I took a screenshot. Some talent there.

21kbep1.png

One of the great Tiger wins of my adult lifetime. Knights first half is about the best two quarters of footy I've seen from a Tiger in a big game. It's right up there with Rioli in the '82 GF. Rogers and Naish also deserve votes, as does the human wrecking ball Scotty Turner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm filling in the off-season by watching old games. This weekend, I watched the '95 semi-final against Essendon. I was so impressed by the team sheet I took a screenshot. Some talent there.

21kbep1.png

One of the great Tiger wins of my adult lifetime. Knights first half is about the best two quarters of footy I've seen from a Tiger in a big game. It's right up there with Rioli in the '82 GF. Rogers and Naish also deserve votes, as does the human wrecking ball Scotty Turner.
Ahhh so good seal.gif

While it's sad that other teams get to celebrate gf wins and we look at semi final wins.... It's still one of my great life memories and experiences (I was 12 that year) share so many good memories with my dad who's now passed away.

It's tough being a tiger but wouldn't change it for anything

WAS asked about this the other day so decided to give it a crack - naming the best Richmond team made up of players during your lifetime of going to to the football. It's a bit more difficult than you would think, especially naming guys as close as possible to where they played, when the temptation is to stock it up with on-ballers and play them out of position. Makes for some interesting comparisons, such as - in my case - where do guys like Weightman, Raines and Rioli stack up against the likes of Knights, Campbell and lambert and then Cotchin, Deledio, Martin.
Anyways I gave it a shot. Mine covers the years 1977-2016 (I was going to the football in 1974, but '74, '75, '76 I barely paid attention. Had to leave the great Royce Hart out as he only had one season in '77 and he was a virtual non-factor by that time. Finding a smaller back pocket was a difficult choice between Sheedy, Malthouse and Newman too.
Nevertheless here's my team - hope others give it a crack.

B. Bourke Rance Sheedy
HB. Cameron Jess Keane
C. Wood Raines Knights
HF. Deledio Richardson Bartlett
F. Wiley Roach Riewoldt
Rucks. Lee Rioli
Rov. Weightman
Inter. Cloke Cotchin Rowlings Martin
Emerg. Campbell Broderick Newman
If it's your lifetime then you would be what, 46 or 47, which means Royce Hart would played for five years during your life.

If it's your lifetime then you would be what, 46 or 47, which means Royce Hart would played for five years during your life.
My football viewing lifetime. I can remember from '77 onwards, so in effect a '777-2016 team.
Sadly, Royce Hart in 1977 was as effective as Ben Griffiths, playing just 12 games and being kickless in his last hurrah!

My football viewing lifetime. I can remember from '77 onwards, so in effect a '777-2016 team.
Sadly, Royce Hart in 1977 was as effective as Ben Griffiths, playing just 12 games and being kickless in his last hurrah!
It was sad to see him practically crippled in his last days. The mind was willing , but the body had done more than its fair share.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back