King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
The general consensus amongst fanbases of both the Crows and Power is that they see a rivalry between their club and Richmond and in the eyes of many people from both fanbases, their rivalry with Richmond is their club's biggest rival aside from their local cross town rival.

It's fair to say that the Tigers/Crows rivalry and the Tigers/Power rivalry are like chalk and cheese to each other and couldn't be more different, because one rivalry has never produced any memorable or classic matches while the other rivalry has produced many memorable and classic matches.

When it comes to the Tigers/Crows rivalry, there have never been any memorable or classic matches between the two sides and the games always tend to be average spectacles with one team always winning comfortably. The only Tigers/Crows game that people even remember is the 2017 grand final and even then people only remember the game because it was a grand final, as the match itself was an average spectacle and Richmond were on top of Adelaide all day and ended up winning comfortably.

When it comes to the Tigers/Power rivalry, on the other hand, there have been a fair few memorable and classic matches between the two sides. The games often tend to be great contests and great spectacles with a fair few nailbiters which have gone down to the wire. I have to admit that Port Adelaide are the side from outside of Victoria which Richmond have played the most amount of memorable and classic matches against, and Port Adelaide home games against Richmond at Adelaide Oval tend to have the most electric atmosphere out of all Port Adelaide home games at Adelaide Oval aside from Showdowns.

Which rivalry do you think is the bigger rivalry out of the two?

Tigers vs Crows?
or
Tigers vs Power?

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
We probably have more to do with Port Adelaide than Adelaide in my opinion. We played that one Grand Final against Adelaide, but I don't really remember a lot of spice between the two otherwise. I can see that Port and Richmond have a bit of a rivalry though. It isn't intense, but there is a base IMO.

It's only recent stuff with both teams. Pre-2017 and it would be meh. I mean we hated losing that elim final to Port but we hated losing that elim to Carlton when they finished 9th. With the Victorian rivalries there's decades of rivalry and famous/infamous incidents.

If I had to choose it would be Port. They are a bit feral like us, which we don't necessarily admire but do respect I suppose.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
It's only recent stuff with both teams. Pre-2017 and it would be meh. I mean we hated losing that elim final to Port but we hated losing that elim to Carlton when they finished 9th. With the Victorian rivalries there's decades of rivalry and famous/infamous incidents.

If I had to choose it would be Port. They are a bit feral like us, which we don't necessarily admire but do respect I suppose.

There's history between Tigers/Power which predates 2017 such as when the two sides played each other in 2010 in a match which was Damien Hardwick's first win as Richmond coach as well as being Port Adelaide's 140 year anniversary match, and the 2014 elimination final which saw Port Adelaide get to wear their traditional prison bar guernsey in a final at AFL level for the first time.

I can see the Tigers/Power rivalry growing legs and the media talking it up if Richmond bounce back next year, Port Adelaide remain near the top and the two sides happen to meet in another final. The 2020 preliminary final was a classic match between both sides and it tended to the seeds of the rivalry, hence another final between the two sides next year would see those seeds begin to sprout.

Spluff

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
There's not much there at the moment.

There was one brewing with the crows after 2017 but then they collapsed.

My vote has to go to Port for that elim in 2014(?) and this...

images (4).jpeg

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond

I remember a thread years ago as to what supporter groups most resembled each other. When it came to Richmond the general consensus was we most resembled Collingwood's and Port Adelaide's. I guess that and proximity would explain the Collingwood rivalry, but Port Adelaide?

Anyhow to be honest I don't feel any real rivalry with any interstate side. In fact if anything it's the opposite, if for example a Victorian club that I legitimately hate plays an interstate side in a final, just like what happened in 2018, I will cheer my head off for the non-Victorian side. They are so over the horizon, so far away with so few fans here, and with so little VFA/VFL/AFL history, that if they win I can basically pretend that the result never happened.

So essentially I don't feel a rivalry with either of them, although I guess I feel more affinity with Port Adelaide if that makes any sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Clearly don’t watch much Richmond footy , we’ve had plenty of good games v PA moreso that Adelaide tbh. If it weren’t for the 2017 GF I’d be saying wtf you on about Willis. Yea I can see some kinda rivalry with PA , they’d still be reeling about our epic pre lim WIN of ‘20 en route to another premiership

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Clearly don’t watch much Richmond footy , we’ve had plenty of good games v PA moreso that Adelaide tbh. If it weren’t for the 2017 GF I’d be saying wtf you on about Willis. Yea I can see some kinda rivalry with PA , they’d still be reeling about our epic pre lim WIN of ‘20 en route to another premiership

Have there been any games between the Tigers/Crows which have been close, memorable and classic games? I seriously can't think of any, and I wouldn't be wrong if I were to say the Tigers/Giants rivalry is equal to the Tigers/Crows rivalry based off the fact Crows and Giants have both been smashed in a grand final by the Tigers. Meanwhile there have actually been a couple of classic home and away matches between the Tigers/Giants and along with the Brett Deledio defection, you could probably mount a better case for a Tigers/Giants rivalry than you could for a Tigers/Crows rivalry.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Have there been any games between the Tigers/Crows which have been close, memorable and classic games? I seriously can't think of any, and I wouldn't be wrong if I were to say the Tigers/Giants rivalry is equal to the Tigers/Crows rivalry based off the fact Crows and Giants have both been smashed in a grand final by the Tigers. Meanwhile there have actually been a couple of classic home and away matches between the Tigers/Giants and along with the Brett Deledio defection, you could probably mount a better case for a Tigers/Giants rivalry than you could for a Tigers/Crows rivalry.
The keepings off game the most memorable of them all outside the GF. Says it all really.

Nov 30, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg
Those crow campaigners stole Angus Graham and Richard Tambling from us, ******* monsters 😠😠😠

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
The keepings off game the most memorable of them all outside the GF. Says it all really.

I always remember that one and the one where beat them in the wet at Adelaide oval during our win streak in 2014. Dusty kicked the sealer, Cotch kicked a ripper spinning out of the pack.

But no other crows games come to mind in a hurry.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
I always remember that one and the one where beat them in the wet at Adelaide oval during our win streak in 2014. Dusty kicked the sealer, Cotch kicked a ripper spinning out of the pack.

But no other crows games come to mind in a hurry.
Wow how could I forget that one. Delicious.

my other recollections growing up was the only person able to get the ball out of our D50 at Footy Park was the boundary umpire after another Crow goal 🤦🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back