Opinion Richmond's rivalries with the Crows and Power

Which of these rivalries is bigger?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may be Ports 2nd biggest rival, and they may huff and puff when they play us but from our perspective they're not high enough the food chain to be considered that highly.

Our main rivals are the big Victorian clubs by far.

Crows and Power supporter bases both seem to see Geelong and Richmond as being their biggest rivalries aside from their rivalry with one another.

I asked the same question over on our board and our supporter base don't seem to see any rivalry with either the Crows or Power at all.

Over here it seems as though Tigers supporters don't seem to see a rivalry with the Crows at all, while acknowledging there's a rivalry between the Tigers and the Power even if it's a fair way behind the Tigers' rivalries with Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon.

I've noticed there's only been three seasons (1998, 2011 and 2014) where the Tigers/Power haven't been fixtured to play each other in Adelaide during the home and away season.

Does anyone know whether or not there's a reason behind this, or if it's just sheer coincidence?
Giving us plenty of practice so we could roll them in the biggest game between the clubs I guess. #VICBIAS

I've noticed there's only been three seasons (1998, 2011 and 2014) where the Tigers/Power haven't been fixtured to play each other in Adelaide during the home and away season.

Does anyone know whether or not there's a reason behind this, or if it's just sheer coincidence?
Kane *head Cornes chooses not to look at this stat when he talks about #VICBIAS.

Port thinks they have a rivalry with us because of the hotly contested games at Adelaide Oval. Be nice if we could play them for once at the G - or better yet, play them about 8 times in a row at the G.

Same goes for Norf. Last year was the first time we'd played them at the G in a home and away game in about 8 years.

But yeah...Richmond fixture leg-ups and all that :rolleyes:

Richmond v W Coast has the most memorable games

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond tend to have memorable and classic games against all the interstate teams aside from the Crows when you think about it.

Richmond vs Adelaide - one of the most irrelevant and forgettable fixtures on the footy calendar and I admit it's probably at the bottom of the pecking order for Tigers supporters. The fact Richmond have played in classics against Gold Coast and GWS yet haven't played in any classics against Adelaide says it really.

Richmond vs Brisbane - over the past three seasons games between these two sides have had a fair amount of heat in them, and this is a match up I seeing developing into a rivalry.

Richmond vs Fremantle - there's been quite a few memorable and classic matches between these two sides over the years, and the best thing about it is there's been classic games in both Melbourne and Perth.

Richmond vs Gold Coast - there's been great and memorable clashes between these two most notably the Karmichael Hunt after the siren game. Gold Coast always tend to bring their best footy to games against Richmond and this would be a new rivalry without doubt if not for Gold Coast's inability to ever quality for the finals.

Richmond vs GWS - these two sides have produced a few classic matches against one another in the 10 seasons GWS have been in the league, most notably the game in 2017 where Jeremy Cameron kicked the match winner in the dying moments to clinch victory in a classic nail biter between the two sides.

Richmond vs Port Adelaide - explained throughout this thread in a fair amount of detail outlining the fact these games always tend to be great spectacles with an electric atmosphere, and I have to admit Tigers/Power games in Adelaide aren't far behind Showdowns when it comes to games involving the Power and how great the contest, spectacle and atmosphere always tends to be.

Richmond vs Sydney - round 23 2014 and Sam Lloyd after the siren immediately spring to mind. Both games were all time home and away classics and the Tigers have always tended to produce good games against Sydney, going back prior to 2013 when Richmond were a perennial struggler while Sydney were a perennial finalist.

Richmond vs West Coast - much like Fremantle the games Richmond play against the Eagles have resulted in a fair few memorable and classic matches over the years, and there's been classic games in both Melbourne and Perth as well. Round 22 2019 is the first game which immediately springs to mind here, and had the result gone the other way, West Coast and Richmond swap ladder positions. Eagles finishing 3rd rather than 5th while Richmond finish 5th rather than 3rd and it's highly unlikely Richmond win the 2019 flag from 5th on the ladder.

Wtf is this if I tried this on the scats board I would be having a holiday, why don’t you go and talk about your rivalries

There's a thread over on our board about this exact same topic regarding our rivalries with the Crows and Power, and the OP hasn't been banned for posting the thread about it on our board.

There's a thread over on our board about this exact same topic regarding our rivalries with the Crows and Power, and the OP hasn't been banned for posting the thread about it on our board.

who started this thread

Richmond tend to have memorable and classic games against all the interstate teams aside from the Crows when you think about it.

Richmond vs Adelaide - one of the most irrelevant and forgettable fixtures on the footy calendar and I admit it's probably at the bottom of the pecking order for Tigers supporters. The fact Richmond have played in classics against Gold Coast and GWS yet haven't played in any classics against Adelaide says it really.

Richmond vs Brisbane - over the past three seasons games between these two sides have had a fair amount of heat in them, and this is a match up I seeing developing into a rivalry.

Richmond vs Fremantle - there's been quite a few memorable and classic matches between these two sides over the years, and the best thing about it is there's been classic games in both Melbourne and Perth.

Richmond vs Gold Coast - there's been great and memorable clashes between these two most notably the Karmichael Hunt after the siren game. Gold Coast always tend to bring their best footy to games against Richmond and this would be a new rivalry without doubt if not for Gold Coast's inability to ever quality for the finals.

Richmond vs GWS - these two sides have produced a few classic matches against one another in the 10 seasons GWS have been in the league, most notably the game in 2017 where Jeremy Cameron kicked the match winner in the dying moments to clinch victory in a classic nail biter between the two sides.

Richmond vs Port Adelaide - explained throughout this thread in a fair amount of detail outlining the fact these games always tend to be great spectacles with an electric atmosphere, and I have to admit Tigers/Power games in Adelaide aren't far behind Showdowns when it comes to games involving the Power and how great the contest, spectacle and atmosphere always tends to be.

Richmond vs Sydney - round 23 2014 and Sam Lloyd after the siren immediately spring to mind. Both games were all time home and away classics and the Tigers have always tended to produce good games against Sydney, going back prior to 2013 when Richmond were a perennial struggler while Sydney were a perennial finalist.

Richmond vs West Coast - much like Fremantle the games Richmond play against the Eagles have resulted in a fair few memorable and classic matches over the years, and there's been classic games in both Melbourne and Perth as well. Round 22 2019 is the first game which immediately springs to mind here, and had the result gone the other way, West Coast and Richmond swap ladder positions. Eagles finishing 3rd rather than 5th while Richmond finish 5th rather than 3rd and it's highly unlikely Richmond win the 2019 flag from 5th on the ladder.

one game doesn’t make a rivalry

I would say cats. A team that had the wood on us for years. We then for about 3 years had a string of close games with the cats getting the chocolates. It progressed to our breakthrough win in 2017 final.

Good teams against each other in finals is where rivals are born and I think your side and ours are developing one

one game doesn’t make a rivalry

Like I said there's threads on both the Crows and Power boards where the majority of both the Crows and Power supporter bases tend to see a rivalry between their club and Richmond, hence why I came here to get a perspective from Richmond supporters.

I've given my opinion as well and said that personally I don't see a rivalry between the Tigers/Crows as well as explaining why I see the Tigers/Crows match up as one of the most irrelevant/least exciting fixtures on the footy calendar.

Hell, I've even explained why all the other interstate clubs have more rivalry with Richmond than the Crows do, even Gold Coast do given the fact there's been classic games between the Tigers/Suns and the Suns tend to always bring the heat whenever they play Richmond.

I'm not surprised at the fact this thread has given feedback from Tigers supporters they don't see any rivalry between the Tigers/Crows while at the same time, acknowledging there's rivalry between the Tigers/Power but it's just a long way down the overall pecking order which sees Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon a long way ahead of the rest when it comes to Richmond's biggest rivalries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said there's threads on both the Crows and Power boards where the majority of both the Crows and Power supporter bases tend to see a rivalry between their club and Richmond, hence why I came here to get a perspective from Richmond supporters.

I've given my opinion as well and said that personally I don't see a rivalry between the Tigers/Crows as well as explaining why I see the Tigers/Crows match up as one of the most irrelevant/least exciting fixtures on the footy calendar.

Hell, I've even explained why all the other interstate clubs have more rivalry with Richmond than the Crows do, even Gold Coast do given the fact there's been classic games between the Tigers/Suns and the Suns tend to always bring the heat whenever they play Richmond.

I'm not surprised at the fact this thread has given feedback from Tigers supporters they don't see any rivalry between the Tigers/Crows while at the same time, acknowledging there's rivalry between the Tigers/Power but it's just a long way down the overall pecking order which sees Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon a long way ahead of the rest when it comes to Richmond's biggest rivalries.
A rivalry would need multiple big games say grand finals, etc Carlton, the scum, you guys the druggies, the rest are meh

A rivalry would need multiple big games say grand finals, etc Carlton, the scum, you guys the druggies, the rest are meh

Hence why I also pointed out the fact the seeds are certainly there when it comes to the Tigers/Power but it needs another preliminary final or a grand final for the seeds to really sprout.

It goes without saying that the match ups between the Tigers/Dockers and Tigers/Eagles both need the two sides to meet in a final to really spark some sort of real rivalry, there's been several classic home and away matches between both Tigers/Dockers and Tigers/Eagles over the years but the Tigers having never met either WA side in a final is what's missing in terms of a spark to ignite the rivalry.

Tigers/Power games tend to remind me of Showdowns and in my opinion they're not far off Showdowns when it comes to the electric atmosphere, high quality of football and both sides always tending to bring their best footy whenever they play each other.

We are probably one of their requested home game fixture. Same with bloody north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are probably one of their requested home game fixture. Same with bloody north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a neutral I wish the AFL would fixture games between the Tigers/Power more often at the MCG, and in my opinion the rivalry would become more noticed if the two sides play at the MCG against each other and the quality of footy is as good as what they continually produce at Adelaide Oval.

As much as the Crows and Power both see us as their second, or third biggest rival, the reality is, from a Richmond perspective, that both clubs happen to find themselves a long way down the pecking order.

Adelaide's second biggest rival is actually the Bulldogs, given the fact Bulldogs supporters happen to actually give a s**t about the Crows. My advice to Crows supporters trying to create a rivalry with Richmond, is to go and reciprocate with the Bulldogs, instead of trying and failing to create a Richmond vs Adelaide rivalry.

Port Adelaide from Kane Cornes, to Xavier Duursma, to the ferals from Alberton, treat every game against Richmond like it's their grand final, even more so than they do with Showdowns, while from our end, Port Adelaide is just another game on the fixture and another 4 points. The reality is, games from our end against Port Adelaide aren't any more meaningful than games against Gold Coast.

As much as the Crows and Power both see us as their second, or third biggest rival, the reality is, from a Richmond perspective, that both clubs happen to find themselves a long way down the pecking order.

Adelaide's second biggest rival is actually the Bulldogs, given the fact Bulldogs supporters happen to actually give a sh*t about the Crows. My advice to Crows supporters trying to create a rivalry with Richmond, is to go and reciprocate with the Bulldogs, instead of trying and failing to create a Richmond vs Adelaide rivalry.

Port Adelaide from Kane Cornes, to Xavier Duursma, to the ferals from Alberton, treat every game against Richmond like it's their grand final, even more so than they do with Showdowns, while from our end, Port Adelaide is just another game on the fixture and another 4 points. The reality is, games from our end against Port Adelaide aren't any more meaningful than games against Gold Coast.

its odd isn't it?

Good write up, but I would say we have absolutely played in a classic with Adelaide.

Round 21 2014 -

Adelaide sitting 7th on the ladder, but equal wins in points with 10th.
Richmond sitting 12th, 4 points and percentage behind Adelaide in 7th. And on a 6 game win streak.

Richmond go over into a hostile Adelaide environment, get up to a 4 goal lead with a few mins left in the 3rd.
Crows come back and take the lead with 10 mins left in the 4th, its back and forth with no goals until Richmond kick a goal to take the lead back with 3:30 left in the game.
Then 1 minute left, Richmond up by 4, Richmond go inside 50 to a Dusty 1 on 1, Dusty uses his body to knock down his opponent, no free, takes the ball and runs into the goal to seal the game. Crows crowd going ballistic booing, booing the umpires off after the game.

Season finishes with Richmond 8th on 48 points and 105%, Crows 10th on 44 points and 114%. So a finals deciding game. Has all the makings of a classic tbh. Much more than say that gold coast game which was an absolute shithouse game. If Hunt missed it, that game would never be thought of again. So it was more of a classic moment, rather than game.

Adelaide's second biggest rival is actually the Bulldogs, given the fact Bulldogs supporters happen to actually give a sh*t about the Crows. My advice to Crows supporters trying to create a rivalry with Richmond, is to go and reciprocate with the Bulldogs, instead of trying and failing to create a Richmond vs Adelaide rivalry.

Rivalry brewing.
263454611_4949805141737262_8481305014496895847_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back