Opinion Richmond's rivalries with the Crows and Power

Which of these rivalries is bigger?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no real rivalry but I tell you what, I'm sick of playing these 2 s**t teams in Adelaide more than we do in Melbourne.

Port Adelaide - played them there 9 times in 11 games (2 however finals) and only twice at the MCG.

Adelaide - played them 8 times in Adelaide, 3 times at the G (1 was a GF) and once at Etihad. Last year we were due to play them in Melbourne but ended up in Sydney.

Last edited:

4F02BC4D-EF86-43C6-BE92-F7DDE46BC0B6.gif

Do remember this though…hehehe

minnows

One game does not make a rivalry.
That said, this was a cracker in '94 - a 7 point win.

Was there.
Richo kicked four; Bondy kept McGuinness to about 11 possessions and Broderick starrred.

Cheers for that, brings back memories.

But, why oh why the F did we let Northey walk!!?? Stupid F'kn club! Just when we were on the cusp. The players loved Swooper.

But, why oh why the F did we let Northey walk!!?? Stupid F'kn club! Just when we were on the cusp. The players loved Swooper.

Mal Brown was being a campaigner and trying to get Sheedy to Richmond.

Mal Brown was being a campaigner and trying to get Sheedy to Richmond.
Yeah, I know. But you don't let go a coach that has a team on the verge (just look at those idiots at Collingwood).

The irony of all that is I think Sheedy would've taken over at Richmond at the end of '98 had Northey not delivered a flag by then. Adelaide went back to back in '97 and '98, yet we were further advanced than them at the end of '95.

Essendon were ready to give Sheedy the boot at the end of '98 but he exercised the 1 year option clause in his contract which had him there in '99. The rest is history.

Had we have not won a flag under Northey by '98, I reckon we'd have offered Sheedy a 3 or 4 year contract and he would've gladly come back.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now but emphasizes the stupidity of the management of our club back then. Cost us 2 decades I reckon.

100 percent ..... just an absolutely horrible move to let him walk.
We were, more often than not, during a largely ordinary era, our own worst enemy.
We finally gt it right after years in the wilderness and then - BANG - shot ourselves in the foot again.
The players would walk through walls for him.

I don't really see either team as a rivalry other than just another team to beat when we come across them during the season.

When thinking about both teams Adelaide stands out to me though, but it is more to laugh at them with their power stance and actually booking a seat for the premiership cup on their flight back from the Grand Final.

Crows and Power supporter bases both seem to see Geelong and Richmond as being their biggest rivalries aside from their rivalry with one another.

I asked the same question over on our board and our supporter base don't seem to see any rivalry with either the Crows or Power at all.

Over here it seems as though Tigers supporters don't seem to see a rivalry with the Crows at all, while acknowledging there's a rivalry between the Tigers and the Power even if it's a fair way behind the Tigers' rivalries with Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon.
I can see why the Cats supporters don't see Adelaide as a rival, but I'd imagine the Crows may have a chip on their shoulder with Dangerfield leaving to play for Geelong.

I can see why the Cats supporters don't see Adelaide as a rival, but I'd imagine the Crows may have a chip on their shoulder with Dangerfield leaving to play in premierships at Geelong

efa

Both non-entity teams ... in the comp to make up the numbers ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres no rivalry with either. The idiots at Port came out a few yesrs ago saying they had a huge rivalry with Richmond problem was no one at Richmond knew about it or even cared lol.

There is no real rivalry but I tell you what, I'm sick of playing these 2 sh*t teams in Adelaide more than we do in Melbourne.

Port Adelaide - played them there 9 times in 11 games (2 however finals) and only twice at the MCG.

Adelaide - played them 8 times in Adelaide, 3 times at the G (1 was a GF) and once at Etihad. Last year we were due to play them in Melbourne but ended up in Sydney.

Richmond travel to South Australia twice again next year to face both the Crows and Power away and they get to play the Power twice next year with a return match at the MCG against them.

Fun fact - Richmond have played Port Adelaide in South Australia a total of 24 times including 2 finals, while in comparison, Richmond have played West Coast in Western Australia a total of 20 times.

Despite the fact West Coast have been in the league for 10 years longer than Port Adelaide, there have been less Eagles/Tigers games played in Western Australia than there have been Power/Tigers games played in South Australia.

There have also been 21 Dockers/Tigers games played in Western Australia which is more than the 20 Eagles/Tigers games played in Western Australia despite West Coast having been in the league for 8 years longer than Fremantle.

For what it's worth there have been 21 Crows/Tigers games played in South Australia overall since the Crows have been in the league.

The keepings off game the most memorable of them all outside the GF. Says it all really.
The 'basketball crap' game? I was at that game with my bro in law. We got on the tram after the game both wearing our tigers gear and someone asked who won. When I replied that we had won, they said something along the lines of "you wouldn't have known it from how miserable you both look"
That was possibly the worst game of footy I've witnessed live where we won. And that's saying a fair bit. Before 2017, I enjoyed most wins like we had won a final.

In response to the OP, Port by a country mile. I was lucky enough to be at AO celebrating my 40th with a heap of mates when we rolled Port in the game where Rance got tagged and we won in a close contest, the Prelim was a ripper game that could have gone either way, we drew one in the last round of the season one year (remember Troy Taylor?!). Hardwick's first win as coach in some of the wettest conditions I've ever seen. Plenty of memorable games.
The 2017 GF is probably the best day of my life but that didn't add to any rivalry with the Crows. It was a day that we broke the Crows. We broke them good and proper. And quite frankly, they had it coming.

The 'basketball crap' game? I was at that game with my bro in law. We got on the tram after the game both wearing our tigers gear and someone asked who won. When I replied that we had won, they said something along the lines of "you wouldn't have known it from how miserable you both look"
That was possibly the worst game of footy I've witnessed live where we won. And that's saying a fair bit. Before 2017, I enjoyed most wins like we had won a final.

In response to the OP, Port by a country mile. I was lucky enough to be at AO celebrating my 40th with a heap of mates when we rolled Port in the game where Rance got tagged and we won in a close contest, the Prelim was a ripper game that could have gone either way, we drew one in the last round of the season one year (remember Troy Taylor?!). Hardwick's first win as coach in some of the wettest conditions I've ever seen. Plenty of memorable games.
The 2017 GF is probably the best day of my life but that didn't add to any rivalry with the Crows. It was a day that we broke the Crows. We broke them good and proper. And quite frankly, they had it coming.

Which club would you say Richmond has a bigger rivalry with?

Adelaide or GWS?

Given the fact Richmond flogged both clubs in grand finals and prior to meeting in grand finals there was no rivalry between Richmond and either of Adelaide or GWS so to speak.

Adelaide or GWS?

Given the fact Richmond flogged both clubs in grand finals and prior to meeting in grand finals there was no rivalry between Richmond and either of Adelaide or GWS so to speak.
I think you'd better go and do some research on how rivalries are formed. Tip...getting dominated in a GF is not a factor.

On field
  1. Carlton. The only team to beat us in a grand final over the last 55 years. If you don't hate Carlton with the heat of a thousand burning suns you aren't Richmond.
  2. Then Collingwood courtesy of the 1980's trade wars and sheer volume of maniac supporters. I always enjoy beating them.
  3. < Daylight >
  4. Maybe Essendon - the crappier sash. Or perhaps Geelong, especially lately - we like to end their premiership hopes for fun.

Off field:

1. Manchester United.
2. New York Yankees.
3. Los Angeles Lakers.
4. Real Madrid
They all wish they were as cool as Richmond and could generate as many headlines as us. ;) You have to keep scrolling to find nearest AFL rivals:

344. Carlton
348. Pies
355. Geelong
357. Port
358. Crows.

Adelaide or GWS?

Given the fact Richmond flogged both clubs in grand finals and prior to meeting in grand finals there was no rivalry between Richmond and either of Adelaide or GWS so to speak. I would have at least 5-6 teams ahead of them both though.
Over the years, until the last 3-4, Adelaide have beaten us regularly and often flogged us so they wouldn't be considered a rival but it also comes down to perspective. If I lived in Adelaide and barracked for Tigers, I'd probably have a different view.
Head to head GWS and Tigers are much closer and have had some close matches including a Prelim which was only blown apart in the last quarter or so. Plus deledio defecting to them probably added a bit more spice between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back