News Richmond's Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones arrested after brawl outside strippers bar

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL go to great lengths to show respect for women, promote equality, make the games a safe space for women, encourage young girls to play footy, yet here we have two players in what is a flesh club where naked women are paraded as nothing more than sex objects at 3:30am.

The AFL brushed this under the carpet by calling it an entertainment venue.

Where do we draw the line? If sleazy strip clubs that take advantage of vulnerable, mentally unwell young women aren't the line then are brothels?

But think about the children, the children!

Agreed, the club is in shambles on the eve of challenging for it's 3rd flag in 4 years.

In all seriousness, dumb action and really stupid from the players, it might cost them a chance to play in a Grand Final or worse.
No really as they are not best 22 atm

Lots of ads for Uber Eats during the coverage tonight. AFL trying to send a message to the rest of the Tuggers? 🤔🤔🤔
We ride the rollercoaster, hope we play you with fire in our bellies next game and trounce you. it would be better than winning another GF.

Imagine being a member of a Melbourne-based club, asked/begged/guilted into leaving your money in the club, being deprived of football all year + all the added shit that comes with stage 4 lockdown, then seeing players out and about at 3am getting into fights outside strip clubs.

I would be going postal.

Waiting for the full story but my stance would be that for a first offence - put it down to a mistake - if they are players worth keeping they'll work their arses off to get respect back. A mistake like this can make or break a player. If they screw up again - see you later.
It's a deliberate act, mistake is something that they didn't mean to do, like an accident.

Sorry to the rest of the comp for these two absolute grade A morons putting the competition and in some ways the very future of the AFL in jeopardy. Sanctions by the AFL are totally justified and I hope if nothing else other clubs now know exactly what the implications are if you breach protocol.

I'm sure Stack will claim he was racially villified to lesson the blow.
Given the fines and bans have been formalised I somewhat doubt it. Just goes to show how good your judgement is.

Also the implication that Stack, an indigenous man, would claim vilification to ‘lessen the blow’ (note the spelling) is pretty pathetic on your behalf. Racial vilification is an issue in society and has entrenched disadvantage for generations. Maybe try and educate yourself about it as opposed to spouting your ill-informed generalisations about indigenous Australians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on...im way smarter than you pal, answer my question? who know why you wont? because you cant.

Here ill make it easy for you .... this was my post.

"I'm really disappointed at their actions and you could imagine what their team mates must be thinking.
How are they going to walk into the club rooms after this incident, clubhouses can be small places.

I don't think they realised what is at stake here and all the ramifications with covid (we are all trying to adjust in this mad mad year of covid).

Young kids showing their age and made a terrible choice, which is going to cost them dearly, they are going to need help to recover from this.
Hope the club educates them and does the Richmond thing and builds them up.

How many here can say they havent done something dumb at the same age? its just they're playing in a mind field. We are not"

Have at it , pick it appart.

If you mean pick it apart, clever guy, then it's easy: the bolded bit is implausible in the current climate and would not be not an adequate defence anyway.

Wow, that was easy.

While I'm here, for someone claiming to be smart, your first line is grammatically atrocious. "im"; "answer my question" is not a question; and "who know why you wont?" suggests that English is not your native language. And ... "appart".

Yeah, you're way smarter.

Last edited:
Come on...im way smarter than you pal, answer my question? who know why you wont? because you cant.

"I'm really disappointed at their actions and you could imagine what their team mates must be thinking.
How are they going to walk into the club rooms after this incident, clubhouses can be small places.

I don't think they realised what is at stake here and all the ramifications with covid (we are all trying to adjust in this mad mad year of covid).

Young kids showing their age and made a terrible choice, which is going to cost them dearly, they are going to need help to recover from this.

How many here can say they havent done something dumb at the same age? its just they're playing in a mind field. We are not"

Yeah probably because like c19 only started yesterday so how can they be expected to understand the ramifications...😭😭

I am all for the games suspension, but this is a manifestly unjust fine for two young players. It is 47x the amount they were fined by the actual justice system. Richmond should have no right to make the players pay it - the punishments need to be kept separate by the AFL.

Coleman-Jones would probably only be on a base salary being a 1-gamer. He would be on the minimum 105 grand - 28% which is $75,000 pre-tax, which is $57,000 after-tax, a very modest salary in society. They possibly are going to take up to 2/3rds of his annual pay. You would have to be an utter simpleton buying into moral panic to believe that taking potentially 2/3rds of someone's annual earnings for such minor criminal conduct is warranted. I am aware of the extenuating circumstances specific to the league and coronavirus, but that's where the games suspension comes in. Absolutely, suspend them for the rest of the year.

But it's genuinely disgraceful that the AFL and Richmond can impose an arbitrary financial penalty and it should be criminal in itself. I don't see how a private sporting administration or club (as it is Richmond fobbing it off onto the players) should have the right to coerce someone to pay such a large percentage of their pay under threat of having their career threatened if they don't. I hope there's at least a few people not part of the baying mob that can see how ridiculous that is.

I have to say i agree with you about the fine.

If I were either of these guys, I would want an ironclad assurance from the club that I will be on the list next year before I paid up. If your place on the list is not safe, you risk paying up the money and still being shown the door.

I also think the way the AFL has tackled this is dead wrong. Sure suspend the players for a lengthy whack but they need to impose penalties which get club management and senior players to buy in and keep an eye on their teammates, and make people shitscared not just of getting caught but of letting their teammates down. If they docked 4 premiership points or draft picks, you would have coaches and senior players patrolling the hotel corridors with nightsticks.

Last edited:

100% this. The only question is how much have all the clubs made categorically clear how serious breaches are....from Day 1.

Was it a brutal message or glossed over?

I just saw the footage and the players were attacked. CCJ and Stack were just sitting outside a Kebabk Shop when a bloke just came up and punch CCJ twice. He didn't fight back. Stack did once CCJ was knocked to the ground.

No they were idots for going out to the Strippers and putting themselves in this situation in the first place and deserve to be punished but 10 week suspension is a bit over the top for mine given they were just defending themselves. I appreciate the AFL are eager to keep the Queensland Government happy but wouldn't just being sent home and fining the club for $25k be more suitable? What did Sidebottom get for being half naked & unconscious in the street again?

Where to start.

Utter relief its not my club.

Wish the discussions were more calculating and civilised instead of a pack of hyenas feasting on a carcass.

Next week the lynch mob turn on someone else.
Totally agree.

Pies have our own problems with 40-50 year old experienced coaches thinking tennis outside the hub was appropriate. Bad decision. AFL let them off lightly.

Two 20 year old blokes full of piss from a club sanctioned piss up decide strippers were appropriate. Bad decision. AFL have hammered them!

Let's not crucify two young blokes for a poor decision.

I just saw the footage and the players were attacked. CCJ and Stack were just sitting outside a Kebabk Shop when a bloke just came up and punch CCJ twice. He didn't fight back. Stack did once CCJ was knocked to the ground.

No they were idots for going out to the Strippers and putting themselves in this situation in the first place and deserve to be punished but 10 week suspension is a bit over the top for mine given they were just defending themselves. I appreciate the AFL are eager to keep the Queensland Government happy but wouldn't just being sent home and fining the club for $25k be more suitable? What did Sidebottom get for being half naked & unconscious in the street again?
Did they break curfews to be out? Were they allowed to go out or only to restricted areas?

I think that's all that matters.

Being at strippers is irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back