Roast Richmond's Tackling technique!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Obviously we've been smashed last 5 or 6 years in our free kick differential and today was a disgrace. However we're our own worst enemies each week we're giving away 6-10 frees from blatantly tackling too high. We know a lot of players are gonna duck and make it look worse but FFS's are our players too *ud to actually tackle within the hips and below the nipple line. Surely the club can get in a former rugby player to show them how it's done cos as putrid and rigged as the umpiring was we easily gifted the crows 5 goals from tackling around the throat and head.

Why is it that not just one, but two or three tigers will tackle one oppo player, who always manages to offload the ball, creating an overlap and at that point we're totally screwed.
Except when Bolton gets tackled, full 360 but manages to get a handball but gets called holding the ball when Adelaide had been doing it all night

Obviously we've been smashed last 5 or 6 years in our free kick differential and today was a disgrace. However we're our own worst enemies each week we're giving away 6-10 frees from blatantly tackling too high. We know a lot of players are gonna duck and make it look worse but FFS's are our players too ******ud to actually tackle within the hips and below the nipple line. Surely the club can get in a former rugby player to show them how it's done cos as putrid and rigged as the umpiring was we easily gifted the crows 5 goals from tackling around the throat and head.
Don’t know if it’s that black and white
Last week our tackling looked insane doubt they would of changed their technique over the period of a week

It was just a bad night and it wasn’t adjudicated very well

Obviously we've been smashed last 5 or 6 years in our free kick differential and today was a disgrace. However we're our own worst enemies each week we're giving away 6-10 frees from blatantly tackling too high. We know a lot of players are gonna duck and make it look worse but FFS's are our players too ******ud to actually tackle within the hips and below the nipple line. Surely the club can get in a former rugby player to show them how it's done cos as putrid and rigged as the umpiring was we easily gifted the crows 5 goals from tackling around the throat and head.

Hallelujah brother! This has been driving me nuts for years. We are THE worst tackling team by far. We either tackle the head or try to tackle with muppet arms. It has staggered me that the club seems to have done little or anything to correct such a basic fundamental.

Broken record but we are still the worst tackling team. It's just simple technique but apparently it's not important.

The other thing I notice the players do is over commit in a contest especially on the wings. It's like a role play, we play dumb by having two players run at ballistic speed toward the player with the ball who calmly pops it over the top to an unmanned teammate. Happened countless times tonight.

It was like watching us at our peak, Demons were like the Harlem Globetrotters and we played the stooge opposition who are never intended to win the game.

Hardwick is getting closer to having to make a decision and that is he needs to blood more young players otherwise we are going to have a side that just will not be able to compete next year. We clearly aren't going to trouble the better teams, the score flattered us tonight.

the tackling is OK problem is... we only get 20% of the 50/50s with a ball ups getting 40% and the opposition getting the other 40% of the umpys guess/gifts.

There was nothing wrong with our tackling tonight. So many incorrect disposal calls missed again. And a couple of drop at the knees/shrug the shoulders that should have been called play on. Anyone would think the AFL are trying to stamp out tackling given how rarely a good tackle is rewarded. Probably should go back to bumping then. Oh wait....

This is what happens when you don’t have big bodied mids, we are so weak and can’t stick any tackles. We need training on tackling because we literally aim for people’s heads. If we fix these issues right now we will be contenders, we are still elite everywhere else.

We need to draft big mids like Cripps this year or we are in for a looong rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what happens when you don’t have big bodied mids, we are so weak and can’t stick any tackles. We need training on tackling because we literally aim for people’s heads. If we fix these issues right now we will be contenders, we are still elite everywhere else.

We need to draft big mids like Cripps this year or we are in for a looong rebuild.

RCD 🤣

We actually need elite ones and more of them mate. Unless you reckon we stop drafting them because of RCD? Lol odd comment

It was a joke… what part of that post made you think it was anything but taking the piss?

the tackling is OK problem is... we only get 20% of the 50/50s with a ball ups getting 40% and the opposition getting the other 40% of the umpys guess/gifts.
The Richmond game is an oppo coaches dream,"just drop the knees fellas,they will do the rest"

Quiet day at work so out of stupidity i tried watching the game again today. Couldn't make it past 1/2 time. Watched the footy show and my head exploded when they said Rory laird got 20 tackles!!!!! I had to check and they weren't wrong, Sam Berry also laid 17 WTF!!!! Apparently we laid 49 tackles total yesterday. Didn't feel like it as i've never seen so many opposition players break 2 and 3 limp attempts at tackles and break free and clear the ball. This wasn't the all conquering WCE 90's team that looked like they were on the juice, this was a young, pathetic, inexperienced team who just had their 4th coach in 3 years. We start off the year ripping blokes heads off or failing to pin the arms allowing opposition to handball to best option. Now we throw one arm out and watch the ball carrier bounce off, shrug another and still clear the ball without any pressure.
The club needs to get their head out of their arse realize we are completely inept at a skill that everyone is taught in Vickick. (My junior footy team we were lucky we had an assistant coach ex Army who represented Australia in Rugby Union who was fantastic at teaching us.) They need to Cross Olympic Blvd and see who Melbourne Storm recommend and dip into the soft cap and hire a part time tackling coach who can work with them during preseason and part time during the year cos it's a joke that one of the oldest lists in the comp still can't tackle. Obviously the Crows game wasn't the same game but bare in mind Crows were leading majority of the day whereas we were chasing tail from the get go. Unbelievable 2 players can get more tackles than 20!!!!

1) Dylan Grimes01) Rory Laird20
2) Noah Balta02) Sam Berry17
3) Shane Edwards0
4) Jake Aarts0
5) Kamdyn McIntosh1
6) Shai Bolton1
7) Tyler Sonsie1
8) Nathan Broad2
9) Toby Nankervis2
10) Dion Prestia2
11) Hugo Ralphsmith2
12) Jayden Short2
13) Jack Riewoldt2
14) Robbie Tarrant2
15) Josh Gibcus2
16) Jack Graham3
17) Trent Cotchin3
18) Daniel Rioli3
19) Ben Miller3
20) Liam Baker4
TOTAL35TOTAL37

Quiet day at work so out of stupidity i tried watching the game again today. Couldn't make it past 1/2 time. Watched the footy show and my head exploded when they said Rory laird got 20 tackles!!!!! I had to check and they weren't wrong, Sam Berry also laid 17 WTF!!!! Apparently we laid 49 tackles total yesterday. Didn't feel like it as i've never seen so many opposition players break 2 and 3 limp attempts at tackles and break free and clear the ball. This wasn't the all conquering WCE 90's team that looked like they were on the juice, this was a young, pathetic, inexperienced team who just had their 4th coach in 3 years. We start off the year ripping blokes heads off or failing to pin the arms allowing opposition to handball to best option. Now we throw one arm out and watch the ball carrier bounce off, shrug another and still clear the ball without any pressure.
The club needs to get their head out of their arse realize we are completely inept at a skill that everyone is taught in Vickick. (My junior footy team we were lucky we had an assistant coach ex Army who represented Australia in Rugby Union who was fantastic at teaching us.) They need to Cross Olympic Blvd and see who Melbourne Storm recommend and dip into the soft cap and hire a part time tackling coach who can work with them during preseason and part time during the year cos it's a joke that one of the oldest lists in the comp still can't tackle. Obviously the Crows game wasn't the same game but bare in mind Crows were leading majority of the day whereas we were chasing tail from the get go. Unbelievable 2 players can get more tackles than 20!!!!

1) Dylan Grimes01) Rory Laird20
2) Noah Balta02) Sam Berry17
3) Shane Edwards0
4) Jake Aarts0
5) Kamdyn McIntosh1
6) Shai Bolton1
7) Tyler Sonsie1
8) Nathan Broad2
9) Toby Nankervis2
10) Dion Prestia2
11) Hugo Ralphsmith2
12) Jayden Short2
13) Jack Riewoldt2
14) Robbie Tarrant2
15) Josh Gibcus2
16) Jack Graham3
17) Trent Cotchin3
18) Daniel Rioli3
19) Ben Miller3
20) Liam Baker4
TOTAL35TOTAL37
Crows played in wet and windy conditions so can't really compare them but yes our tackling is pathetic. LDU broke just about every tackle. Just weak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back