Richo or Dusty

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
silly comparison, diff players, diff eras, if richo had someone deliverying the ball he would have kicked 2000

Tigerballs kicked the thread with "For a long time he was my reason to watch the tigers" and then asked who's your favourite

so unlike who is the best its a personal choice

I brought a young Lions supporting son down from Canberra to see his beloved Lions for the first time
Its a mid season game at Etihad on a Sat. night Richo has kicked by qtr time the Tiger faithful
are a little shocked but going nuts nevertheless
I had to subdue my celebrations , the poor boy , his chin was quivering
5 goals first quarter and the last was from the junction of the 50 mtr arc and the boundary
he could throw a tantie , he could miss the unmissable but boy could he do some amazing stuff
we won by 80 + that night and it was a tame game after qtr time

2 years later ?2008 , same teams , same venue , both sides are mid ladder but showing promise
there's a crowd of 35,000 in that night

the Lions are 39 points up close to 3/4 qtr time and Richo is playing on a wing and doing ok
a late goal to us and we turn 33 pts behind

Terry swings Richo to fullforward on a raw boned red head who was drawing praise from Richmond supporters all night "who's he?" "geez there've got a good one there" ... its a young Meritt
Richo lights up the place , we lifted the roof and I think we hit the front mid qtr !!!
and he had Merritt hanging off him at every contest it was a serious good battle between them and only added to the Tiger Army mood

Richo had something , he could ignite passion , we'd hang off every mark just as 2 or 3 defenders would hang off each arm
we'd close our eyes when he'd kick for goal

the years roll on and Dusty starts coming into his own
just as Richo did , he gets people out of their seats
but some of his stuff is so slick you miss it in real time
and you have to study the replays to appreciate how good it really was
like his last goal with Danger hanging off his waist
watching the replay you realise most players in the comp would have been dragged over the boundary
I'm in awe of so much stuff Dusty does and he's ours :) , I love him
but I don't love Richo any less

Richo 800 goals , with the sides he was in ...
his contested marking often , topped the charts , and he polled good brownlow votes , for a tall forward in the modern era I'd say that is significant

Dusty will , if he hasn't already , exceed Richo's achievements/worth to the club and impact on the game

luckily there's no rule that says you can only love one :)

Dusty still has time to add to his legacy, Richo was a shinning light in dark times. Both better than Hart but not as good as the Tiger GOAT... KB. I saw every game both Hart and KB played and Bartlett was easily the better of the two.

Easily the best is a huge claim. But KB was incredible I'll say that. I never understood how he was on his own and the footy came to him. He was amazing in his footy IQ.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Tigerballs kicked the thread with "For a long time he was my reason to watch the tigers" and then asked who's your favourite

I brought a young Lions supporting son down from Canberra to see his beloved Lions for the first time
Its a mid season game at Etihad on a Sat. night Richo has kicked by qtr time the Tiger faithful
5 goals first quarter and the last was from the junction of the 50 mtr arc and the boundary
he could throw a tantie , he could miss the unmissable but boy could he do some amazing stuff

2 years later ?2008 , same teams , same venue , both sides are mid ladder but showing promise

the Lions are 39 points up close to 3/4 qtr time and Richo is playing on a wing and doing ok

Terry swings Richo to fullforward on a raw boned red head who was drawing praise from Richmond supporters all night "who's he?" "geez there've got a good one there" ... its a young Meritt
Richo lights up the place , we lifted the roof and I think we hit the front mid qtr !!!
and he had Merritt hanging off him at every contest it was a serious good battle between them and only added to the Tiger Army mood

Richo had something , he could ignite passion , we'd hang off every mark just as 2 or 3 defenders would hang off each arm

watching the replay you realise most players in the comp would have been dragged over the boundary

his contested marking often , topped the charts , and he polled good brownlow votes , for a tall forward in the modern era I'd say that is significant

Dusty will , if he hasn't already , exceed Richo's achievements/worth to the club and impact on the game

that's what i keep telling wifey.:oops:

for consistency, richo. for all round ability and game shaping, dusty.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Well said.Great Post.
Certainly sums up how i feel about both and alot of others i suspect.

Dusty still has time to add to his legacy, Richo was a shinning light in dark times. Both better than Hart but not as good as the Tiger GOAT... KB. I saw every game both Hart and KB played and Bartlett was easily the better of the two.

Even Kevin wouldn't agree with that. Hart was an out and out match winner - Even Tommy would say when he needed something special to win, "Just kick it Royce". Game plan solved!

It’s like asking me who’s better, Jesus or Buddha?

Mm, Hudson v Hocking - I'll suggest Hudson. Still love the graffiti at Glenferrie Station I saw for some time while working there....

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
It's like picking one of your children. Richo was the first footy player I genuinely admired. Was my favourite player by a mile during those days. I wish richo had the success dusty has, but dusty has delivered the success we all wanted so much. I'm gonna have to call it a draw too tight hahah

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Love Dusty, but really unfair for Richo who played most of his years in a shambles team/club environment.

Had Richo played for a top team he may have kicked close to a thousand goals.

Had Richo played today then the comparison would be closer.

Dusty won us 3 GFs. cant match that.

Depends how you look at it, would there even be the richmond we know today without richo as the light in the darkest of times?
Dusty has a goat claim for the club due to what he has done for us on the field building a mighty dynasty and rewarding our hardship, so tough choice.
Both kings.

SDMTiger4

Team Captain
Dec 4, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think there is any comparison from a football sense. If we were comparing them simply on what they gave us as tigers supporters, then it would have to be line ball in my opinion. For years, Richo was all we had. Like Forrest Gump's mum used to say.."life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get", that was Richo. Sweet and sour, frustration and joy, all at the same time. Whereas Dusty is just an out and out gun. I'd seen the likes of Hart and Bartlett at their prime, and over the past couple of years I have said that Dusty is the best Richmond player I have seen.

Tigers_fan24

Premiership Player
May 6, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s a tough one but an easy one.

Richo kept the flame flickering for more than a decade. He was all we had.

But Martin helped deliver the glory we all were seeking and Richo’s 2017 tears support this.

And Martin, due to deft management, has become an immortal figure in league history. Kids want to change clubs and support Richmond because of Martin. Richo could never do that.

I love ‘em both but Martin wins. He could have run off to Norf but didn’t. We have Cotch and Dimma to thank for that but it’s also been the best business decision Martin has made.
That’s not entirely true. When I was 4-5 years old I followed geelong for two reasons: Because of Ablett senior and because my older brother did. Shortly after Ablett senior retired, it was Richo and my old man who swayed me to follow Richmond. No regrets 28 consecutive years as a member since.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The only thing that puts Dusty arguably ahead is Finals performances.
Richo across careers was the better home and away player if you ignored finals.

I feel like it's hard to judge him because Richo played in teams that were dreadfully awful....
Imagine Richo with a peak Dustin kicking to him? Or a Jack Riewoldt at CHF up the ground kicking to him? Or a midfield that dominated clearances rather than got smashed week to week?

In the end they're both club legends and for me our best 2 players since the 80s. You've got to give it to Martin though because he is so relevant to delivering multiple premiership glory. Martin is AFL legend type by the time he retires.

Anyone saying Dusty easily has a bit of recency bias going on, there's no way Dusty is miles ahead on field. Richardson is one of the best to play the game.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Richo is my Favourite...

Dusty may be the better player, just...

Think how it would look if Dusty played in Richo's team and Richo played in Dusty's...

Plus there's always a little bit of recency bias

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Richo is my Favourite...

Dusty may be the better player, just...

Think how it would look if Dusty played in Richo's team and Richo played in Dusty's...

Plus there's always a little bit of recency bias
Plus premiership bias. Not to mention Norm Smith winning bias.

Back