Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rick18

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
hey rick

so danger has gone on ball on that last stoppage in the centre.

why do we have Polec in the mix withdumont and Simpkin. I get structures and that but the game is on the line. Where’s the leadership from someone like higgins to put himself on ball, get Polec on the outside and make himself in a more dangerous position so we can nullify that stoppage?

danger clearly made that move himself not scott

I wish I had a really good answer for why, but it's simply the whole group being too reactive and not proactive, like the whole night really. Nothing else to it.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's on Rhyce if he's asking Hall to position himself in no man's land. If he's doing that consistently, he should be dropped, but who have we got left to bring in? He's probably in the same boat as Polec.

Was it a repeated incident?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While Simpkin is in a bear hug.
Rhys Stanley comes in from the side, runs into the circle early, leaving Maj to hit over the top or if Stanley wins he’s hitting it in the same place. The two Geelong players protecting the drop zone, while Simpkin is getting manhandled.
yep we’ve got an inexperienced team, no point hiding it.
good to see Polec and Dumont in there. They’ll learn from the experience.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Dunno. I’d need to go through each stoppage.

.........and this is what makes me question people "jumping the gun"

It could be playing to instruction, it could be a one off error/random occurrence, or it could be a consistent error, so it's interesting when a poster automatically jumps to criticism without knowing the facts. If Rhyce plays him again next week, then it's logical to assume that it's instruction, or a one off error/random occurrence.

We have to keep in mind, with regard to the Dangerfield mess, that we were chasing the game. We had put in a lot of effort into getting back into contention. Dangerfield had been idling in their forward fifty for over five minutes while we were making our run. We, obviously, were still attack-focussed at that ball-up. The game was lost in the second quarter and first half of the third quarter. The Dangerfield episode just halted our run. It happens often to teams who are playing catch-up. Also, he’s one hell of a good player. Remember when he amassed 47 possessions against us?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have to keep in mind, with regard to the Dangerfield mess, that we were chasing the game. We had put in a lot of effort into getting back into contention. Dangerfield had been idling in their forward fifty for over five minutes while we were making our run. We, obviously, were still attack-focussed at that ball-up. The game was lost in the second quarter and first half of the third quarter. The Dangerfield episode just halted our run. It happens often to teams who are playing catch-up. Also, he’s one hell of a good player. Remember when he amassed 47 possessions against us?

Watching Danger dominate Port it’s hard to argue that the match up on the day was anything less than a massive win for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Most fun I've had writing one of these since Round 2: https://theshinboner.com/2020/08/16...es-uniacke-nick-larkey-ben-brown-will-walker/

There's bits on what all the changes mean long-term, building the team and individual performances. Could have been a lot more but then it would have been 4,000+ words I reckon.

Excellent again, much appreciated. Highlights why this week I was on my feet roaring approval from the stands rather than sitting there with my head in my hands.

Rick18 Thank you for all of these articles.

IMHO this sort of analysis is missing from the saturated AFL media landscape that is broadly filled with hyperbole and opinion for the sake of controversy.

We are very lucky to have you.

Great to see the shoutout for Will Walker. Hopefully, the hammy isn’t too bad. 13 disposals in a shortened first half (Covid-related and injury) is a great effort, given where he’s come from. Against Geelong, he performed better in the second half. He looks like he’s capable of nudging 30 disposals in the future.

Great to see the shoutout for Will Walker. Hopefully, the hammy isn’t too bad. 13 disposals in a shortened first half (Covid-related and injury) is a great effort, given where he’s come from. Against Geelong, he performed better in the second half. He looks like he’s capable of nudging 30 disposals in the future.

Agree, Will's game has otherwise slipped under the radar in all post-game analysis on this board. He is a player that we should be getting excited about.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back