Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

He rips in to the forwards, who were also poor last week.

It's a makeshift forward line playing in front of a pretty young core midfield.

Our ball movement forward of center is poor when we have a full complement let alone the team make up we're running at the moment.

Honestly if we see anything more than the odd glimpse in the last three games I'll be incredibly surprised.

Good article as always.

Yep. It was obvious that we were porous, starting from up front, and then the mids were unable to cover. Daw and Wood are clueless when it comes to the defensive side of playing as a forward, and Hall ain't much better, often getting caught out of position, ball watching, running to the wrong areas. You simply can't afford to do that in the current version of footy.

The lack of pressure from the forward group exposes the midfield group who either have to push up to cover or chase tail on overlapping half backs. They then create more space for their half forwards to go to work, leaving more space for their marking forwards as well as separating our defenders from each other so they can't cover off for each other. Do this all night and pretty soon the mids get rooted, the defenders get pulled apart and opportunities galore present themselves, in the form of one on ones for their KPF's, or their half forwards pushing back into space.

I don't care what coach you have, if the players can't execute the structural basics, the team will get flogged. This is partly why players like those mentioned above have never kicked on and cemented themselves in the 22.

Did something a little different for the Collingwood game given it all pretty much went entirely to script.

Of the 10 guys out of contract who played, I looked at six of them: https://theshinboner.com/2020/08/25...hern-mason-wood-marley-williams-lachie-hosie/

Just going back a week, (apart from that damning footage of Hosie) I thought the Ahern comment was interesting. Not because I necessarily disagree with it, but because I couldn't help but immediately think of Caleb Daniel.

I think Shaw was on the right track trying to make Ahern a half-back in the Daniel mould. Surely, Ahern could play a similar role that someone of 4 foot 4 stature has done successfully for the past 2 seasons! What exactly is the difference between them that Ahern shouldn't have the upper hand. It's got to be an intangible (want, determination, etc...).

Last edited:
Just going back a week, (apart from that damning footage of Hosie) I thought the Ahern comment was interesting. Not because I necessarily disagree with it, but because I couldn't immediately think of Caleb Daniel.

I think Shaw was on the right track trying to make Ahern a half-back in the Daniel mould. Surely, Ahern could play a similar role that someone of 4 foot 4 stature has done successfully for the past 2 seasons!
He's got a bit of a nine-iron for a leg....doesn't deliver the ball quick enough IMO

It's a makeshift forward line playing in front of a pretty young core midfield.

Our ball movement forward of center is poor when we have a full complement let alone the team make up we're running at the moment.

Honestly if we see anything more than the odd glimpse in the last three games I'll be incredibly surprised.

Not only was it a makeshift forward line but the two big men were not what you’d call even close to full match fitness.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone see those team stats on OTC? The biggest indicator for premiership success is points differential from turnovers. In 2020 Geelong and Richmond are top, NM stone motherless last.

Then they showed pressure rating for 2020... Geelong were first. NM second....second! And we have looked disinterested in half a dozen games this year.

So Rhyce I don’t want to hear about effort. The effort is there. It’s about skill level and game plan... ‘I MUST IMPROVE THE TEAMS SKILL LEVEL’ ‘I MUST COACH A CONTEMPORARY GAME PLAN’. Rhyce needs to repeat these 2 vows 100 times each night before he goes to bed.

I know these stats are more general, but I reckon this could be something you could highlight somehow Rick. I know some of CD's stats are a little, ummm, questionable, but like Speedy, I couldn't believe the discrepancy here.

Is it simply the skills that result in the huge turnover points differential, and/or are we simply not set-up to take advantage of the oppositions pressured disposals.

I know these stats are more general, but I reckon this could be something you could highlight somehow Rick. I know some of CD's stats are a little, ummm, questionable, but like Speedy, I couldn't believe the discrepancy here.

Is it simply the skills that result in the huge turnover points differential, and/or are we simply not set-up to take advantage of the oppositions pressured disposals.

I have to be honest and put my hand up to say I'm not an enormous fan of the pressure factor, mainly because there are so many variables which make up the number. For example, the best part of Geelong's defence isn't necessarily that on-ball pressure (imo), it's forcing teams into slow movement by their structure. But then the corralling, closing, and behind the ball setup forces turnovers, which plays well by the numbers.

Then for points by turnovers, they're (Geelong) so controlled and methodical with how they move the ball, it's not as if their success in that comes off the pressure factor. It's not giving the ball back once they earn it, off the back of years of playing the same style, fine tuned to near perfection. Regular season perfection anyway, finals still TBD.

Where we fall down in points from turnovers is not having a functioning forward line, which impacts every area of ball movement. No good (fit) lead up forward, can't expect Larkey to be the number one guy at this stage of his career, personnel available aren't overly suited to winning the ball back close to goal which then leads to a higher chance of points from turnovers, no point winning the ball if you're giving it straight back to them, etc. I'm pretty bullish it'll come good with time and continuity, it just looks terrible right now due to all that and the 3,231 injuries.

I have to be honest and put my hand up to say I'm not an enormous fan of the pressure factor, mainly because there are so many variables which make up the number. For example, the best part of Geelong's defence isn't necessarily that on-ball pressure (imo), it's forcing teams into slow movement by their structure. But then the corralling, closing, and behind the ball setup forces turnovers, which plays well by the numbers.

Then for points by turnovers, they're (Geelong) so controlled and methodical with how they move the ball, it's not as if their success in that comes off the pressure factor. It's not giving the ball back once they earn it, off the back of years of playing the same style, fine tuned to near perfection. Regular season perfection anyway, finals still TBD.

Where we fall down in points from turnovers is not having a functioning forward line, which impacts every area of ball movement. No good (fit) lead up forward, can't expect Larkey to be the number one guy at this stage of his career, personnel available aren't overly suited to winning the ball back close to goal which then leads to a higher chance of points from turnovers, no point winning the ball if you're giving it straight back to them, etc. I'm pretty bullish it'll come good with time and continuity, it just looks terrible right now due to all that and the 3,231 injuries.
You reckon Cats have the Flag this Rick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You reckon Cats have the Flag this Rick?

I have them second favourites behind Richmond at the moment (Port 3rd, West Coast 4th because they can only get a week 1 home final, Brisbane 5th for now until I see how they work without Andrews)

Rick18 did you ever write anything on the axing of the Fab 4 back in 2016? Incredible as it seems it is still brought up by Opposition mates every so often

I'm the one who had to read the social comments that day (and the next day, and the day after that) so I'm still scarred.

I have them second favourites behind Richmond at the moment (Port 3rd, West Coast 4th because they can only get a week 1 home final, Brisbane 5th for now until I see how they work without Andrews)

I'm the one who had to read the social comments that day (and the next day, and the day after that) so I'm still scarred.

You must have had an "Oh *, this isn't going to be good" feeling when it was announced.

Finished the line by line series with a midfield look. It has polls!

Hey Rick good article as always. Some big decisions await from Friday.

in an earlier article you mentioned that we were better than our current (at the time)bottom four ladder position.

As it's played out we have had a bunch of things happen that have made that statement untrue.

In my relatively uninformed opinion it has been death of a thousand cuts that has wound us up here.

What is the possibility of an article that looks at say the top 5 factors that led us to where we are?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back