Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Post up about the Essendon game: https://theshinboner.com/2019/07/14...unnington-mcdonald-tipungwuti-marvel-stadium/

- Breaking down the last four minutes
- The random uncontested possession which changed the last quarter momentum, which shows the importance of running that doesn't get you a stat
- The team setup and balance, which ends up turning into lamenting what Garner's doing
- In Memoriam to the poor Sherrin punched by Cunnington

Post up about the Essendon game: https://theshinboner.com/2019/07/14...unnington-mcdonald-tipungwuti-marvel-stadium/

- The random uncontested possession which changed the last quarter momentum, which shows the importance of running that doesn't get you a stat
- The team setup and balance, which ends up turning into lamenting what Garner's doing

Sherrin should have come off for a concussion test

You missed that

There was a mention of what Fantasia did today on SEN. Unsure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but if not, I wonder if paid journalists are reading your posts Rick.

That "Uncontested Possession" footage is interesting in that I wonder if Kayne would be applauded or chastised for his over-committing to stopping the short pass. Personally, I feel that in those circumstances, he would have been best to block the more dangerous space... BUT can we be so hypocritical when much of what we have been after is 1 on 1 football.

Rick, I presume you might go with what was changed at quarter time to reel in the hawks this week... But maybe in one of the remaining weeks of the year, you could take a look at what Shaw has done with our half back flankers. I get the feeling that while he's still learning so much as a new coach, he is emphasizing the one position he knows best.

Okely doke, we're up and running: https://theshinboner.com/2020/06/15...sis-shinboner-smash-and-grab-and-smash-again/

Could have ended up being 3,000+ words by focusing on all the individual performances, but drilled down on the overarching game plan and how/why it worked plus the genius in the midfield setup.

Really enjoyed that write up Rick, well done.

It seems that the simplicity of the game plan is really reaping benefits. Players don't seem to be 2nd guessing themselves when they have the ball in hand.

I think if we had of had another tall long option down the line (Larkey), we would've ended up with more inside 50's. Early in the piece we were being quite one dimensional with our delivery to Brown, which resulted in Haynes, Taylor and Davis cutting off a number of forays into our forward line.

I also noted the backline structure worked really well, not once did we allow space out the back for Greene, Daniels or Cameron to get into. Neither Tarrant or Walker were getting dragged up the ground. On just about every occasion it was Jasper or McMillan following the the 2nd or 3rd tall (Finlayson or Himmelberg) up the ground leaving Taz and Walker to guard the dangerous space and the deepest forward. Too often under Scott, Tarrant or Thommo would be lead up the ground and we'd end up with mismatches in the defensive 50. How many times under Scott would Mcdonald or McMillan end up on a resting ruckman or KP player? That hasn't seemed to have happened at all under Shaw.

Really enjoyed that write up Rick, well done.

It seems that the simplicity of the game plan is really reaping benefits. Players don't seem to be 2nd guessing themselves when they have the ball in hand.

I think if we had of had another tall long option down the line (Larkey), we would've ended up with more inside 50's. Early in the piece we were being quite one dimensional with our delivery to Brown, which resulted in Haynes, Taylor and Davis cutting off a number of forays into our forward line.

I also noted the backline structure worked really well, not once did we allow space out the back for Greene, Daniels or Cameron to get into. Neither Tarrant or Walker were getting dragged up the ground. On just about every occasion it was Jasper or McMillan following the the 2nd or 3rd tall (Finlayson or Himmelberg) up the ground leaving Taz and Walker to guard the dangerous space and the deepest forward. Too often under Scott, Tarrant or Thommo would be lead up the ground and we'd end up with mismatches in the defensive 50. How many times under Scott would Mcdonald or McMillan end up on a resting ruckman or KP player? That hasn't seemed to have happened at all under Shaw.

Agreed on this in particular, I'd be bringing in Xerri this week assuming Larkey isn't ready, especially given the way Sydney likes to sit and absorb pressure.

Everything just seems so structured. Far from the prettiest team but playing to strengths matters much more in the end.

Agreed on this in particular, I'd be bringing in Xerri this week assuming Larkey isn't ready, especially given the way Sydney likes to sit and absorb pressure.

Everything just seems so structured. Far from the prettiest team but playing to strengths matters much more in the end.

Yeah, Allir is a damaging "pick off" defender, that needs to be made accountable, or preferably drawn away from the contest.

At the other end we'll need to address Papley.

The Swans mids are very honest in the clinches too, but we hold our own there. They won't be easy to beat, but I expect us to do it.

Watching the replay after work tonight I’ll be interested to see what specific role Curtis had on Whitfield early on in the game, as no way Whitfield would’ve ended up with an unintended mismatch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okely doke, we're up and running: https://theshinboner.com/2020/06/15...sis-shinboner-smash-and-grab-and-smash-again/

Could have ended up being 3,000+ words by focusing on all the individual performances, but drilled down on the overarching game plan and how/why it worked plus the genius in the midfield setup.

I, too, was struck and impressed by what Shaw said at half time. The tactical use of Higgins and Cunnington is the sort of deeper planning that wasn't apparent (if it existed) for a number of years.

Watching the replay after work tonight I’ll be interested to see what specific role Curtis had on Whitfield early on in the game, as no way Whitfield would’ve ended up with an unintended mismatch.
What is cool is that according to Jade Rawlings it was Curtis and Thomas that sorted that s**t out after quarter time and locked down on Whitfield big time. Awesome work.

The broadcast was an utter disgrace. Weird, irrelevant close ups after every score that made us miss 5-10 seconds of game footage, particularly after behinds.
Honestly WTF is it with overlaying replay on tip of current play, or cutting away completely and missing current play.

They have actively turned the dial to make things as quick as possible. Which is fine but current play has to be the focus.

Not taking up less than a quarter of the screen imposed over things for commentators to dissect. They're opinions are simply not that interesting.

Good writeup Rick but the ending is very ominous.

After Round 2, I said there’s no way North should be regarded as a premiership or top four contender despite the quality performance. And now, after four consecutive losses, there’s no way North should be regarded as one of the worst teams. The truth is somewhere in the middle and recent performances while undermanned don’t change that.

Smells like typical 10 year old 'Ninth Melbourne' finishes for us again sitting around the 9th-12th spot on the ladder.

Doubt this one's going to be overly popular, but anyway: https://theshinboner.com/2020/07/12...urne-metricon-stadium-afl-analysis-shinboner/

The basics/tl;dr: It was a step forward defensively but thrown away with momentary lapses, and extra thoughts about ball movement before I get more stuck in and thorough about it mid-week. And also not to panic in a big-picture sense.

Thanks Rick, makes sense to me. I find it hard to do anything other than full throttle barracking when I watch so I enjoy your thorough analysis of tactics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back