Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Post up for the Bulldogs game: Round 5 v Western Bulldogs: Groundhog Day - The Shinboner

A clip-heavy post all about the uncontested game and what caused the wild difference between quarters one and two. (Actually quite happy with how this one has turned out)

Mate, I used to love reading your analysis but the way we are going, I just can’t be bothered anymore. It’s not your fault but we are so far off it’s not even worth analyzing.

We are not just rebuilding. We aren’t well coached by any means

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Post up for the Bulldogs game: Round 5 v Western Bulldogs: Groundhog Day - The Shinboner

A clip-heavy post all about the uncontested game and what caused the wild difference between quarters one and two. (Actually quite happy with how this one has turned out)

Good write up as usual Rick and your points made are sure to be an educational theme in match review come Monday.

It stood out like Dog’s proverbials how they wanted the game to play out on their terms, with massive numbers in defence leading to a turnover and subsequent damaging keepings off response back up the length of the ground into their attack and we couldn’t handle it.

Always a highlight, Ricky.

I look forward to your actual analysis rather wading through incessant moaning.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Mate, I used to love reading your analysis but the way we are going, I just can’t be bothered anymore. It’s not your fault but we are so far off it’s not even worth analyzing.

We are not just rebuilding. We aren’t well coached by any means

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
EH, reading Rick’s analysis is keeping me level so I would recommend it.

Another great read Rick. It’s pretty obvious we don’t defend either slow or fast play very well.

I’d be interested to know if you have noticed what our defensive setup is - do we go 18 man zone or do a hybrid?

I’d also be interested to hear how many uncontested marks vs. the competition, it certainly seems a lot when watching.

Fantastic as always Rick.

Yesterday (and the Brisbane game) showed that whatever our system is when we lose a clearance is not working. The lack of accountability and space that was allowed for guys like Smith and McRae was just criminal.

Sometimes I wonder if we need to go back to basics and just play man on man…because at present we don’t have the talent and the workrate ti implement moving defensive zones. Across half back and through the midfield we are always 2/3 steps behind our oponents which leaves us open to uncontested possession chains.

The one thing I can’t wrap my head around from yesterday is why in the first quarter were most of our defenders playing 3-8m in front of their direct opponent. It happened multiple times with McKay, Corr and Young. This was definitely a structural setup that I just can’t understand. Giving elite athletes like Naughton and Bont an unimpeded run up and leap at the footy is a recipe for disaster.

Another great read Rick. It’s pretty obvious we don’t defend either slow or fast play very well.

I’d be interested to know if you have noticed what our defensive setup is - do we go 18 man zone or do a hybrid?

I’d also be interested to hear how many uncontested marks vs. the competition, it certainly seems a lot when watching.

It's a hybrid, I haven't quite figured it out completely yet which is why I'm trying to get to more VFL games with the slower pace to see if I can pick up on things.

Fantastic as always Rick.

Yesterday (and the Brisbane game) showed that whatever our system is when we lose a clearance is not working. The lack of accountability and space that was allowed for guys like Smith and McRae was just criminal.

Sometimes I wonder if we need to go back to basics and just play man on man…because at present we don’t have the talent and the workrate ti implement moving defensive zones. Across half back and through the midfield we are always 2/3 steps behind our oponents which leaves us open to uncontested possession chains.

The one thing I can’t wrap my head around from yesterday is why in the first quarter were most of our defenders playing 3-8m in front of their direct opponent. It happened multiple times with McKay, Corr and Young. This was definitely a structural setup that I just can’t understand. Giving elite athletes like Naughton and Bont an unimpeded run up and leap at the footy is a recipe for disaster.

Less said about Young's game (in particular the first quarter) the better, but I think in general there's a lot of confusion about positioning in the team defence.

I notice it a lot after general contests in the middle third of the ground, there's (almost) always a lot of space for teams to go directly out the front of it and straight towards goal.

I can't figure out whether the system is tricky to bed down, or it's outside their capabilities, or whether there's a key part or two I'm not picking up on which is causing it. Driving me nuts trying to solve it to be honest.

I notice it a lot after general contests in the middle third of the ground, there's (almost) always a lot of space for teams to go directly out the front of it and straight towards goal.

I can't figure out whether the system is tricky to bed down, or it's outside their capabilities, or whether there's a key part or two I'm not picking up on which is causing it. Driving me nuts trying to solve it to be honest.

100% agree, in between the arcs is where we seem to be all at see, it is so much worse around general stoppages compared to centre square setups. I think the players are confused, particularly our wings and half forwards. There is a disconnect there as to who is meant to press up to the contest and who is meant to hold back. It’s why we end up kicking to 3 on 1’s when we win the footy around half back or the defensive side of our wings.

At times we have too many players flooding the corridor then at other stages we leave it wide open while trying to implement a defensive zone. It ends up all at sea and precise kicking teams like WB and Brisbane can just pick us to pieces.

It just seems like we are all at sea. I can’t see if there is no game plan or if the game plan is too complex to stick to?

Either way we need to start making in roads or it will cripple the development of our younger developing players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I promised in the Bulldogs match review post, a mid week VFL post: North Melbourne’s building blocks in the VFL - The Shinboner

All about what (I think) translates from VFL to AFL, what I'm looking for in particular, extra passages on Comben, Curtis, Anderson and McGuinness, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's also only accessible to the $5 Patrons and above until 6pm because, you know, man has to make the time writing worth his while.

As I promised in the Bulldogs match review post, a mid week VFL post: North Melbourne’s building blocks in the VFL - The Shinboner

All about what (I think) translates from VFL to AFL, what I'm looking for in particular, extra passages on Comben, Curtis, Anderson and McGuinness, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's also only accessible to the $5 Patrons and above until 6pm because, you know, man has to make the time writing worth his while.
Just joined. Good to contribute to good footy writing.

G'day Rick, just a question i have asked a few times recently, and have still no really clear idea of, what are the pro's v con's of the "not manning the mark" tactic ?

I have seen various clubs dabble with it, but it was almost like a team rule for Bulldogs, is it as simple as the perfect counter to the "stand" rule ?

G'day Rick, just a question i have asked a few times recently, and have still no really clear idea of, what are the pro's v con's of the "not manning the mark" tactic ?

I have seen various clubs dabble with it, but it was almost like a team rule for Bulldogs, is it as simple as the perfect counter to the "stand" rule ?

Funnily enough I did a little bit about it in the Round 4 Notebook, I think standing outside five has its benefits but it's also easy to exploit if you don't get it exactly spot on.

Like there's this as an example, standing outside five was categorically the wrong thing to do here and allowed Lynch to pick out his next target easily.

But if you know teams are going to try and handball through you it's really useful. I think it has to be really well drilled for when you want to do it v when it hurts you to stand outside five.

Post up for the Geelong game: Round 6 v Geelong: Revisiting - The Shinboner

To me the two glaring issues on Sunday were also things I raised in the pre-season checklist - key forwards and key backs - so I wanted to revisit those words through Sunday's lens and figure out what's going on. Or at least what's being attempted.

(Also PS I see the moods in other threads and can we please keep this as my little safe space where everyone's balanced and measured and not calling for peoples' heads)

To me the two glaring issues on Sunday were also things I raised in the pre-season checklist - key forwards and key backs - so I wanted to revisit those words through Sunday's lens and figure out what's going on. Or at least what's being attempted.

(Also PS I see the moods in other threads and can we please keep this as my little safe space where everyone's balanced and measured and not calling for peoples' heads)
Completely agree with the point about Walker playing second tall over Corr. The impression I got from Noble late last year was that the mix down back would change with Corr coming back. I really thought we’d go more dynamic and use Corr as second tall and perhaps a Bonar 3rd man up (perhaps those two interchanging roles). The bonus being they all have nice foot skills and we don’t have to worry about Walker as a user out of defence.

But this 3 tall setup with McGuinness as the only thing behind them just seems crazy risky. Perhaps Bonar’s fitness as stifled the plan to some extent?

just signed up, thanks for your work

When I was making my best 2022 I had us going small and mobile with McKay and Corr being backed up by athletic flankers like LMac, Flynn and Boner. I thought we might give Ford and Taylor a run down there through the season.

Rick - intrigued to hear your thoughts on our use of LMac at the moment.

Last edited:
Great work, Rick. We look like a mess. But I reckon if there was some stat on games played together our squad would feature very low both at AFL and VFL level. We need some stability and to get games into guys playing in the same team. Then guys will know where each other need to be for defensive structure and will be for offensive pushes. They’re panicking and frantic because it’s not second nature and they don’t have trust in each other.

We had a couple of tough years early days under Brad Scott and he kept pumping games into guys he liked. It’s a good way to get team cohesion as quick as possible. Like last year - second half of the year will look a lot better as guys get in the rhythm of playing with each other.

Post up for the Carlton game: Round 7 v Carlton: Positives, negatives, and impossible judgments - The Shinboner

Feels like there's the outline of a wing rotation forming so I wrote about that, then also what to make of the defensive unit and resetting expectations for forwards.
Interesting read as always Rick. I was trying to work out last night why we don’t take advantage of the stand role, like ever other club does,and have a bloke run past and straight into space. Sleevo did it last night with Goldy, and resulted in a goal, boom!
Why do you think we just don’t do this at all, or very often,….is it just work rate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back