Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

The second quarter. -97 for the year.

No team is worse.

Says a lot about in match changes and our complete failure to adapt.
What pisses me off the most is our second quarters have usually been horrible over the years. 2014 being the most frequent offender.

The second quarter. -97 for the year.

No team is worse.

Says a lot about in match changes and our complete failure to adapt.
Says it all about Brads and the coaching team.

At quarter time, the opposition makes the necessary changes, and from there it is a procession.

Also doesn't say a lot for our onfield 'leaders'.

If Brads goes into quarter time feeling good, team in front, he isn't going to change it up (perhaps he should, but he won't).

As soon as the opposition come out with a new plan (extra man around the ball, more kicking down the line, whatever) what are the onfield 'leaders' doing?

Are their hands tied by Brads? Or are they nuffies?

I reckon the thing that confuses Scotts more than anything else is how the other coaches can work out the North game plan by quarter time, as even Brad himself hasn't worked it out by then.

It's round 9 and he's still not there.

I will never really come to terms with how he entered this season completely and utterly unprepared. It's abominable.

Agree 100%.

It's an absolute kick in the guts that this is where he has us after being given 9 years to build.

I was at Rd1, all the way to Perth for that. It was astounding how bad we were.

There was ONE passage of play early on where it worked and we got a goal going end to end with Freo getting near it.

They quickly worked out what was happening and it didn't happen again.

I suspect a little of column A and a little of column B

As much as I admire Jack's intent, from the outside he's doesn't seem to be someone that can change his own approach (hack kicks forward etc) let alone make team based changes. JMac doesn't look like he can instruct/lead in game changes to tactics or structure. I really think we lack a "future coach" on feild that can sum up a game situation and make those changes required a la Hodge/Mitchell.

As much as I admire Jack's intent, from the outside he's doesn't seem to be someone that can change his own approach (hack kicks forward etc) let alone make team based changes. JMac doesn't look like he can instruct/lead in game changes to tactics or structure. I really think we lack a "future coach" on field that can sum up a game situation and make those changes required a la Hodge/Mitchell.

And this is amplified with the reduced access for the runner to give coached instructions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at Rd1, all the way to Perth for that. It was astounding how bad we were.

There was ONE passage of play early on where it worked and we got a goal going end to end with Freo getting near it.

They quickly worked out what was happening and it didn't happen again.

Modern football is chess, and our guys are playing checkers

Modern football is chess, and our guys are playing checkers
A better analogy might be:

Modern football is chess, and our guys are playing...

81-1XLCKQxL._SL1500_.jpg

And this is amplified with the reduced access for the runner to give coached instructions.

I actually thought that could be one reason to draft Boomer mid year and stick him in the forward pocket.

Not to score goals but to coach onfield.

He'll be remembered for the good, and the bad. Anything else and the learning gets skewed. Publicly we can focus on the good, of which the Frank the Tank final comeback was a personal highlight.

Great Bradanalysis Rick, and even more so given you've had some firsthand experience with him. Kudos to him and the others for the generosity they showed toward you by giving you their time, when, as you said, they didn't have to. And thanks for mentioning what he did for Linds. I think that, along with Waitey giving Brad full credit for believing in him and allowing him to develop into the great player he was for us, will be the 2 things I'll remember most about him, as a coach, and as a decent human being.

Great Bradanalysis Rick, and even more so given you've had some firsthand experience with him. Kudos to him and the others for the generosity they showed toward you by giving you their time, when, as you said, they didn't have to. And thanks for mentioning what he did for Linds. I think that, along with Waitey giving Brad full credit for believing in him and allowing him to develop into the great player he was for us, will be the 2 things I'll remember most about him, as a coach, and as a decent human being.

Yeah I have a definite level of bias for sure, but hopefully overall it was relatively balanced. Fingers crossed anyway.

Yeah I have a definite level of bias for sure, but hopefully overall it was relatively balanced. Fingers crossed anyway.
No point slinging poo now that it is all done. Brad gave his best, the players loved him and he was good for the club despite not achieving the ultimate success. I suspect he did a lot of good stuff most of us are unaware of. Why did you leave your job at NMFC Rick? It sounds like it must've been awesome.

No point slinging poo now that it is all done. Brad gave his best, the players loved him and he was good for the club despite not achieving the ultimate success. I suspect he did a lot of good stuff most of us are unaware of. Why did you leave your job at NMFC Rick? It sounds like it must've been awesome.

I just wanted to do something new really, felt like I'd done a heap there and didn't want to get stale by running out of ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back