Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just so no one panics (lol), this week's North post will be either Sunday night or most likely Monday morning thanks to Greek Easter commitments and preparing to eat approximately half my body weight at Sunday lunch.
Χριστός Ανέστη Rick! 🙂👍

It's great to read some analysis that doesn't rely on bagging individual players as the constant piling on by some posters is very tedious. Similarly, it is good to have some insight into what the real problems are rather than just facile complaints that players don't care or don't try. It seems to me that most players are trying too hard: for example, all flying for a mark or to spoil and nobody crumbing or all rushing to tackle leaving an unmarked opponent to accept a handball and off to the races

Can we get an analysis of the Eaater feast?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Lots of numbers around the contest trying to get to first possession of the spit-roasted meats on offer.
Contest on the outer wing for everything from Moussaka to scalloped pototaes and veges.
So many delicious cakes, Galaktoboureko was the highlight. Ate way too much food, needed the sub vest.
My Easter egg was looking the goods early but I got smashed by a stronger opponent, a bit like North right now.

I know we have stats on centre clearances, does anyone track that along with this table below. For example if we won 5 clearances, 4 were with combo whatever number below? Just curious.. 1715130297669.png

Rick18 if you had access to 6 stats that you don't have access to, what would they be.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Currently there's a 'ruck contest' stat which tracks how many stoppages each ruck gets to in a game. I'd love that but for other players as well so we can see what midfielders get to a lot of around the ground stoppages, how often the half forwards come up, same for the half backs, etc. It'd be tricky but as far as I know it doesn't get tracked at all.

Apart from that there's the minutes played by position, i.e. Sheezel played x% in the midfield on Saturday and x% forward. That's hidden away behind the Champion Data lock and key.

Lower priority but also wouldn't mind knowing how far teams' kick ins get before a turnover or stoppage; does it get outside defensive 50, into attacking half, into forward 50, etc, breaking it down into areas of the field. Then with that you could craft each team's strategy from it whether they attack or look for territory or something along those lines.

And then this below as well to cap it off would be nice.

I know we have stats on centre clearances, does anyone track that along with this table below. For example if we won 5 clearances, 4 were with combo whatever number below? Just curious..View attachment 1982682

It's probably not an important set of stats but I'm often frustrated by the number of times we seem to win first possession from a centre bounce but due to a fumble or poor handball, we somehow lose the clearance. I've also felt that there are teams we've played in the past who tended to get the rub of the green when it comes to lucky bounces or a ball pinballing around in the middle. Surely Champion Data records an arsey stat.

It sounds silly but I kinda wish there was an unforced turnover vs forced turnover stat. TV always references the number of turnovers and scores from turnovers but a turnover can be any number of things and in a range of circumstances and just saying "turnover" doesn't explain as much as it should.

It sounds silly but I kinda wish there was an unforced turnover vs forced turnover stat. TV always references the number of turnovers and scores from turnovers but a turnover can be any number of things and in a range of circumstances and just saying "turnover" doesn't explain as much as it should.
I think that could be worked out by subtracting clangers (unforced turnovers) from total turnovers.

Alright, post for the Gold Coast game is up:

It's half mailbag, half game talk after I put a (frustrated) tweet out in-game wondering what to write about. Questions covered, which could have been more but it was already 2,000 words, so.

• ‘A Davies-Uniacke drop off?’
  • ‘Those Darwin conditions’
  • ‘The drop off in games’
  • ‘Which talls can support Larkey?’
  • ‘Why are North worse than last year?’
  • ‘Can Clarko still coach?’

I have to be honest, I'm quite fond of the answer to the last one.

It's half mailbag, half game talk after I put a (frustrated) tweet out in-game wondering what to write about. Questions covered, which could have been more but it was already 2,000 words, so.

Feeling better again for your thoughtful & witty analysis.

Also fond of your Clarko answer as I think it captures the heart of learning and development, my area of work. Development, as you note, takes time and repeated application to produce sustainable results.

I get that us ardent fans are feeling despair as it looks horrific and we all just crave genuine competitiveness and an opportunity to sing our victory song at the final siren.

I get that us ardent fans are feeling despair as it looks horrific and we all just crave genuine competitiveness and an opportunity to sing our victory song at the final siren.
I am still a believer Rick and I appreciate your sensible and considered articles. But above all else, your use of the words "despair" and "horrific" nailed it.

Feeling better again for your thoughtful & witty analysis.

Also fond of your Clarko answer as I think it captures the heart of learning and development, my area of work. Development, as you note, takes time and repeated application to produce sustainable results.

For us supporters what makes it so difficult is what we’ve had to put up with prior to Clarko arriving and then to top it all off the racism saga strikes, which has significantly interrupted and set us back at least half a year if not more. The impact that’s had on Clarko can’t be underestimated.

For sanity and clarity purposes it’s imperative we don’t bundle together, the total mismanagement before Clarko, with the new system in place now. It needs time to reverse the damage! SIMPLE!

It blows my mind given all this, that ‘some’ are calling for Clarko’s head. Absolutely mind boggling stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Rick!

Animated GIF

Thanks Rick.
I usuaully read and contribute to this forum in the small room but time spent reading your articles require a warm space, a comfy chair, beverage of choice and just sit in quiet contemplation.
Yin and Yang.

Hi Rick, thank you again for your time and effort on helping us understand what is happening. You certainly help the despair I feel after every game this year fade the next day. With that in mind, without compromising the future do you see North wining a game this year. Against every team they just feel so far off for large portions it's hard to look at a fixture and say yep we have a chance

Love your analysis Rick… I think our problem at the moment lays with our pressure rating.
Sure we can’t execute Clarko’s game plan….
However our Pressure rating is terribly bad.
A HIGH pressure rating is a non-negotiable in todays football . Would love to know why our pressure is so poor, when it’s effort based rather than talent based? Can Clarko motivate/stimulate our group to get our pressure rating up to a competitive standard?

Thankyou again. Your consistent hope and insight is very much appreciated when all seems lost. Your clarko analogy is chefs kiss

I've been super critical of clarko and Co but was a great analogy and analysis on it which has shown me to be more patient

Only thing I question is idk whether the older players are working hard enough to help the youngsters on the race (as you refer too)

Plus teaching that killing mentality / leaving nothing in the tank / winning culture

Great article! 😊

Last edited:
Thankyou again. Your consistent hope and insight is very much appreciated when all seems lost. Your clarko analogy is chefs kiss

There was a much more scathing version of it which named the previous 'running coach' by first name, but then it wouldn't have held up to my mark of 'could I say this to the person's face and still have a civil conversation'.

Not only that, if I did say that to said person's face I'd probably have got popped in the face and for good reason. So that lies on the cutting room floor never to be seen :sweatsmile:

There was a much more scathing version of it which named the previous 'running coach' by first name, but then it wouldn't have held up to my mark of 'could I say this to the person's face and still have a civil conversation'.

Not only that, if I did say that to said person's face I'd probably have got popped in the face and for good reason. So that lies on the cutting room floor never to be seen :sweatsmile:
This is the standard EVERYONE should apply

Post up for the Essendon game:

Thought I'd try something different for a game and watch some individuals instead of the team setups. Cause God knows it's hard to find anything too new in that respect for the time being.

So it's half thoughts on a bunch of players based on their games v Essendon, combined with half thoughts on their season to date and how it fits in the bigger picture.

Post up for the Essendon game:

Thought I'd try something different for a game and watch some individuals instead of the team setups. Cause God knows it's hard to find anything too new in that respect for the time being.

So it's half thoughts on a bunch of players based on their games v Essendon, combined with half thoughts on their season to date and how it fits in the bigger picture.
As always thanks rick for your insights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back