Roast Rigged flags: how the VFL cooked the books

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think this had much impact on us tbh. In 2011 we’re probably still taking Wingard at Pick 2/3. I guess if Gold Coast doesn’t exist and we’re the wooden spooner we could’ve selected Dick Pics Patton but that doesn’t work out any better for us. In 2012 we picked a Brownlow Medal winner. I think it worked out OK.

It was pure fluke though that we dodged what could have almost killed the club.

By all rights we should have ended up with Matt Buntine and Jimmy Toumpas. Both who have since been delisted.

Meanwhile in the years prior and since, priority picks were handed out like candy.

I don’t think this had much impact on us tbh. In 2011 we’re probably still taking Wingard at Pick 2/3. I guess if Gold Coast doesn’t exist and we’re the wooden spooner we could’ve selected Dick Pics Patton but that doesn’t work out any better for us. In 2012 we picked a Brownlow Medal winner. I think it worked out OK.

It did. But if GWS had taken Wingard with one of its five previous picks or Melbourne had paired Wines with his best mate Viney as many expected, we’d have been left with WHE/Buntine & Toumpas/Mayes.

edit: I should really read to end of threads first

It was pure fluke though that we dodged what could have almost killed the club.

By all rights we should have ended up with Matt Buntine and Jimmy Toumpas. Both who have since been delisted.

Meanwhile in the years prior and since, priority picks were handed out like candy.

We could have also selected Toby Greene or Nick Haynes in 2011. Just because GWS pulled the trigger early on WHE and Buntine doesn’t automatically mean we would’ve done the same. Maybe Toumpas’ career follows a different trajectory if he comes here instead of Melbourne. Who knows?

There’s just too many unknowns so it’s too simplistic to suggest that things still couldn’t have worked out another way. It was bad timing for us but certainly not the end of the world. Today’s academy pick reshuffle is just as bad tbh.

As for the move to the priority pick secret formula I agree that was next level bullsh1t in principle. Although under the previous system I believe the threshold was 8 games in 2 years for a PP after your first pick and we won 8.5 so it mattered little anyway. I have a feeling the threshold was lower in the mid-2000s though.

Maybe Toumpas’ career follows a different trajectory if he comes here instead of Melbourne. Who knows?

Toumpas was all but cooked by the time he went over thanks to the hip injury he suffered playing in the U18’s.

If Melbourne take Wines we almost certainly take him, Mayes, Menzel or Grundy.

Could’ve been disastrous, could’ve been sneaky great.

Pick 6 and 7 is still garbage for the respective finishes.

Pick 6 in 2011 is even worse when you consider that GWS had access to a whole bunch of players who never even made it to the draft board including Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel and Adam Treloar.

Pick 6 in 2011 is even worse when you consider that GWS had access to a whole bunch of players who never even made it to the draft board including Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel and Adam Treloar.

Two extra picks prior with the Mini-Draft too (O’Meara to GC/via GWS; Crouch to Adel/via GWS).

So Wingard was essentially a second-rounder 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back