Right leg running problems

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

Not training for a particular sport (I have played tennis for a long time though) and for the last month I've taken up jogging/running. I was right for the first 1 - 2 weeks but now I've decided to do something about my injury.

Typically I run on a track at the local school which is part concrete but mostly pathy stone stuff.
I walk there (about 600m)
Do leg only stretches (2 min approx)
Start off with a slow 35% jog (takes about 2min 40sec)
1 minute break
50% jog (takes about 2:30)
1 minute break
75% jog (2:07)
1 minute break
Close to 100% jog/run but not sprint (takes about 1:44 at best)
1 minute break

Jog up the footy oval (pretty tired by now)
Walk back up the footy oval
Walk to a local street (200m)
Jog home at about 30% (600m)

I do this 4-5 times a week.

Also, I do a jog around 'the block' (so on footpaths). This is 4.7k with a midway walk of about 700m. This only happens once a week.

Ok, now to my problem and I'm not sure how I got it. My right leg (only) tends to get sore in different spots. Main one is around the calf area, behind the main bone there at the front. I also got sore around the sides of my knee, behind my knee and on the left of my ankle.

I just changed shoes (today) but they dont seem to make any difference. Didn't expect them to because my injury wasn't cured to start with.

I wore inserts in my shoes, sometimes, when I was younger. Although it didn't really correct it. However, I do find it interesting that its only my right leg getting sore. Could be my running style?

Not sure guys. Any ideas?

It could be a number of different things, but it's because your running too much. I don't mean to say it in a bad way, but I had the same problem, in the same area, on the same leg. When I first took up running again, and got my stamina back, I was running 5 times a week.

Now I only run 3 times a week with 2 day breaks in between. Don't run on it until it feels better, and try to have longer breaks in between runs. Or cross train, I ride my bike heaps to take the pressure off my legs pounding the pavement! Swimming good as well to build leg strength.

Also it could be the shoes that you wear, so make sure to check that area as well.

But as someone already said, the physio is the best way to go!

All the best mate, and happy running:)

Awesome, thanks RedWhite4Ever.

Did a reasonably light run just then. Did a small beep test (didnt exert myself too much) but only got a 7 or something like that.

I only jogged 70m then walked for 500m x 3 or 4.

Hurt just like usual.

What I'll do, I think, is go to the pyhsio as soon as I can and rest up a bit more.

Another thing is that all year I've been sitting at the computer (Graphic Designer) and playing tennis on the weekends with perhaps a jog or 2 a week. So, the last month has been quite a big step. Probably going too hard at it, but it doesn't really feel like it?

Might do some cross training though.

go see a physio OR a podiatrist...preferabbly a sports podiatrist. Both of these will know a lot about the biomechanics and the podiatrist could give you some correct orthotics

Pain behind the knee at the top of the calf indicates your calf muscles are too tight. Years ago when i was playing footy on occasions i suffered what i could only call sharp pains in behind the back of knees when running, physio made me stretch my calf muscles regularly and the pain disappeared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back