Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 14, 2000
Melbourne
Other Teams
Collingwood and Newcastle
Steve Lawrence
Fraser Gehirg
Aaron Hamill (The Aints are understood to have offered Hamill $2.2 million for four years.)
Matthew Capuano
Craig Callaghan

To Top It Off Plus The Players Already At Suckilda
Robert Harvey
Spider Everit
Nathan Burke
Austinn Jones
Max Hudghton
Stewart Loewe
Surely they most be over the cap by now!

Savatage

Premiership Player
Jun 29, 2000
Hollywood
AFL Club
St Kilda
Out of those players you mentioned I dare say FOUR or FIVE of them would be on top wages...

Explain to me how Essendon is different?
Or North Melbourne?

Or
Any other team with its share of stars?

Exactly right mate...

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What I Can not understand is if in 2000 St Kilda had to spend 95% of its salary cap... how can they now add 1.5 million a year to it (with the players they recruited)... even allowing for veterans list, players traded/delisted and salary cap increase...
It just does not add up..

pinkie.gif
+
pinkie.gif
pinkie.gif
=
pinkie.gif
pinkie.gif
pinkie.gif

Unless your name is Mr Butters....

[This message has been edited by Rooboy 96 (edited 27 September 2000).]

Savatage

Premiership Player
Jun 29, 2000
Hollywood
AFL Club
St Kilda
You JUST answered your own question RooBoy.

If the list is being paid 95% of the salary cap IRRELEVANT of big names/performance/whatever then it's easy to see how they can afford big name players.

Before we go on, ALL figures are speculative in the media & you can't trust the media for anything as you already know.

#1 - The Salary Cap has increased
#2 - Less players on the list
#3 - Another veteran added onto veterans list
#4 - Players traded that included the vice captain, would obviously make a difference albeit a slight one
#5 - As you already stated, 95% of the cap must be paid, which means even the average performers are getting a good wage. The solution? DELISTING them.

The Browns & Jones's, etc, were on huge salary's coming off 1997. Not to be in 2000. Brown will be delisted, Jones will be on a quarter of his previous contract.

A lot of players will have their salaries reduced as well for various reasons, so there is plenty of scope there.

Essendon has champion after champion on their list...how do they afford it? Intelligent management, same with North, same with most clubs.

S

StrengthThroughLoyalty

A Collingwood supporter that can't spell, what a surprise. Why bother trying to do sums?? Try adding the two digits of your IQ. You will find that the answer is 2.

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Of course they're not over the salary cap.

Why does ANY team that has any ounce of talent arouse suspicions of being over the salry cap ?? The cap has gone up next year, and there are 38 on a list....down from 42.

The mathemaics of paying 38 players are huge. Evertyone is being payed a different amount, changing each year. I'm sure the Saints are under the cap. They have to be.

Along with the points Savatage has made, Gehrig and Hamill have both been signed for four years, with their salaries heavily weighted towards their third and fourth years.

To explain this nice and slowly for a Collingwood supporter like mags, this means that they will not be paid huge amounts of money next year or the year after that.

Aside from keeping within the salary cap, it means that players like Robert Harvey will quite rightfully be earning more money than the new and unproven recruits.

I believe that in recent years, Essendon have managed to fit their players within the salary cap in much the same manner. For example a guy like James Hird may be earning less than what he is worth this year but this will be made up for in two or three years time.

Back