Recommitted Riley Collier-Dawkins [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome. Still a bit weedy in the photo. Although standing alongside Nank, so a lot of competition.

Should play games and I am looking forward to seeing more of our next generation midfield in 2021 defending the crown.

I've bookmarked this for the day this goes wrong.

It has to eventually...
Thats ine i have no issue with that , Maybe check history as it may be quicker
Brad Ottens is the last player we wanted to keep but couldnt

Thats ine i have no issue with that , Maybe check history as it may be quicker
Brad Ottens is the last player we wanted to keep but couldnt

I think it's a matter of degree.

We would have liked to keep Ellis for example, but not nearly as much as GC waned him, so we let him go.

I think it's a matter of degree.

We would have liked to keep Ellis for example, but not nearly as much as GC waned him, so we let him go.
If we wanted to Keep Ellis we could have, He would most likely be earning alot less and not playing as many games
we were happy to let him leave

How tall is RCD really?

I have seen ranges from 189cm to 193cm.

193 cm is taller than Wayne Carey
RFC Website lists him at 191cm
Wikipedia lists him at 193cm

At 21 years old it's possible RFC have older data and he's grown since they listed it.

He's certainly a big kid and once he fills out will be a pretty big midfielder. Easily 190cm+

RFC Website lists him at 191cm
Wikipedia lists him at 193cm

At 21 years old it's possible RFC have older data and he's grown since they listed it.

He's certainly a big kid and once he fills out will be a pretty big midfielder. Easily 190cm+

This is important because the Mundy, Bontempelli types are the exception not the rule.

I think RCD should be developed as a back that can go into the midfield.

I don't rate Cripps as a mid, too tall and some commentators get seduced by his 195cm height and reach but as a mid there is more to it than one string.

I think 190cm is about the general limit in terms of height for a mid usually despite the Mundy and Bont freaks

This is important because the Mundy, Bontempelli types are the exception not the rule.

I think RCD should be developed as a back that can go into the midfield.

I don't rate Cripps as a mid, too tall and some commentators get seduced by his 195cm height and reach but as a mid there is more to it than one string.

I think 190cm is about the general limit in terms of height for a mid usually despite the Mundy and Bont freaks
Patrick Cripps was close to the AFL MVP a couple of years ago as a midfielder, I think if you get a tall mid like Bont, Mundy, Fyfe, Cripps, you just run with it.

RCD is a midfielder, he's not a backman, has never played as a backman, never trained as a backman, and when we are crying out for big midfielders at the contest, he won't ever be a backman for us.

Our midsized defenders of Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin would probably be the best mid sized defensive group in the AFL.

Patrick Cripps was close to the AFL MVP a couple of years ago as a midfielder, I think if you get a tall mid like Bont, Mundy, Fyfe, Cripps, you just run with it.

RCD is a midfielder, he's not a backman, has never played as a backman, never trained as a backman, and when we are crying out for big midfielders at the contest, he won't ever be a backman for us.

Our midsized defenders of Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin would probably be the best mid sized defensive group in the AFL.

What you need to understand is a player plays not based on what he has done as a kid against inferior opposition but how he moves versus the opposition at the top level.

RCD moves like a backman. He has not proved himself as a midfielder yet.

He has never trained as a backman like Richo never trained as a wingman because fools lead him in the wrong direction and he is young following the guidance of others. We did not get Pavlich because some thought Richo was a KPP

We may be crying out for big midfielders but a square does not fit into a circle. Things evolve and change organically, they flow like water. Things are not black and white in the real world and you can't label people and push them into a specific slot and say you are this be this.

The MVP is almost a popularity contest. Cripps was far better a few years ago when he was younger with a spring in his step. Cripps has clearly tapered off and injuries might have had a effect but he looks slower to. Bont has tapered off to in recent weeks.

There is a balance with decisions and refinement and people need to work with what people show and not dictate to them what they can and cannot do.

You do not run with anything, you monitor, reassess and evolve especially as players mature and eventually father time catches up

Grimes is not midsized. He is taller than Wayne Carey and Plugger FFS. Broad is the same height as Wayne Carey and taller than Plugger. Vlastuin is 187cm, thats far shorter and we are talking Dusty height and Nick was being talked as a mid earlier in his career

The best tall mid at the moment is Stringer who also plays as a forward same height as Carey

Last edited:
What you need to understand is a player plays not based on what he has done as a kid against inferior opposition but how he moves versus the opposition at the top level.

He has never trained as a backman like Richo never trained as a wingman because fools lead him in the wrong direction and he is young following the guidance of others. We did not get Pavlich because some thought Richo was a KPP

We may be crying out for big midfielders but a square does not fit into a circle. Things evolve and change organically, they flow like water. Things are not black and white in the real world and you can't label people and push them into a specific slot and say you are this be this.

The MVP is almost a popularity contest. Cripps was far better a few years ago when he was younger with a spring in his step. Cripps has clearly tapered off and injuries might have had a effect but he looks slower to. Bont has tapered off to in recent weeks.

There is a balance with decisions and refinement and people need to work with what people show and not dictate to them what they can and cannot do.

You do not run with anything, you monitor, reassess and evolve especially as players mature and eventually father time catches up

Grimes is not midsized. He is taller than Wayne Carey and Plugger FFS. Broad is the same height as Wayne Carey and taller than Plugger. Vlastuin is 187cm, thats far shorter and we are talking Dusty height and Nick was being talked as a mid earlier in his career

The best tall mid at the moment is Stringer who also plays as a forward same height as Carey

Referring to your statement I have bolded above….isn’t that precisely what you are doing by declaring Collier-Dawkins a backman based only on your own imagicnation?

Referring to your statement I have bolded above….isn’t that precisely what you are doing by declaring Collier-Dawkins a backman based only on your own imagicnation?
I doubt that Dan Rioli has ever played HBF as a junior yet I feel it has rejuvenated his career at RFC. When do we start to look at RCD as a footballer not just a mid? He has the attributes to make a very good backman; dash, size, football acumen, and energy. Not sure if he will ever be a champion on-baller so when do we stop trying to pigeon hole him into something he is not and develop him into a Grimes replacement while he is still young enough to learn? CCJ as a CHB on the other hand is a nonsense!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt that Dan Rioli has ever played HBF as a junior yet I feel it has rejuvenated his career at RFC. When do we start to look at RCD as a footballer not just a mid? He has the attributes to make a very good backman; dash, size, football acumen, and energy. Not sure if he will ever be a champion on-baller so when do we stop trying to pigeon hole him into something he is not and develop him into a Grimes replacement while he is still young enough to learn? CCJ as a CHB on the other hand is a nonsense!!

Magic just use one profile mate, it will get confusing for us if you come at us with unfathomable suggestions from multiple logins. 😉

I really could not disagree with your opinions more, and I don't think I'm alone there.
But hey, each to their own.

Slow-burn Tiger cub set to fire
He desperately leads to focus on his fitness and strength this preseason, increase his running capacity and add a few kgs and get his body shape more to the level and he could be a gun. I have high hopes, his kicking skills are better than I expected. He just needs to be able to stay in the guts and get to more contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back