Riley Knight - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just needs a relatively injury free year, as we are a far better team with his pressure & mongrel... but if he can't get on the park for most games, he is likely to be surpassed by others we have recently recruited.

Agreed, injuries have always been his achilles heel. Never been able to get a good run at it, get settled at the level and cement his spot in the side. As it is, he's now potentially competing with McAdam, Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, Murphy and rotating mids likes Douglas and Greenwood. He's in my round 1 side, but he'll be under a bit of pressure if he doesn't bring his best.

Agreed, injuries have always been his achilles heel. Never been able to get a good run at it, get settled at the level and cement his spot in the side. As it is, he's now potentially competing with McAdam, Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, Murphy and rotating mids likes Douglas and Greenwood. He's in my round 1 side, but he'll be under a bit of pressure if he doesn't bring his best.
IMO if he's fully fit he's ahead of McAdam, Jones, McHenry, Murphy and Douglas. Most Crows fans attribute his skills as being a hard nut (which he is), the thing I've loved about his game apart from that is that I recall him kicking a few clutch goals at times when the team really needed him to. A fully fit Riley Knight is definitely a 1st 22 player IMO. He's the type of quiet achiever that wins finals; exactly what we need.

I love Rory Knight (too good to be a Riley), I really do

Hard as nails and there is always a spot for him in my team

But... he needs to stay fit. Otherwise we can’t carry him.

Might prefer the guy drafted immediately after him too ;)

I love Rory Knight (too good to be a Riley), I really do

Hard as nails and there is always a spot for him in my team

But... he needs to stay fit. Otherwise we can’t carry him.

Might prefer the guy drafted immediately after him too ;)
Yeah, I was hoping for Brown. A bit of hype about him at the time and at that pick was obviously a bargain. Brown or Jenkins, 🤔

Fox Sports' best 22

B: J. Kelly, L. Brown, T. Doedee
HB: W. Milera, D. Talia, R. Laird
C: B. Smith, R. Sloane, P. Seedsman
HF: J. Gallucci, T. Walker, T. Lynch
F: D. Fogarty, J. Jenkins, E. Betts
FOL: S. Jacobs, M. Crouch, B. Gibbs
I/C: R. Atkins, H. Greenwood, R. Douglas, B. Crouch
EMG: R. Knight, D. Mackay, K. Hartigan, S. McAdam

This isn't the first 'best 22' where Gallicci has been in before Riley. I'm not sure what these 'experts' are seeing but for me Riley Knight is a fair bit ahead of Gullacci. Gallucci was given opportunities due to injuries last year but he wasn't that good and I don't rate him as a walk up best 22 yet. Riley Knight brings some mongrel and is a bit of barometer. He's fringe 22 like Atkins but in my view best 22, and certainly ahead of Gallucci.

I'd have Hartigan (as ordinary as he is) over Kelly too.

This isn't the first 'best 22' where Gallicci has been in before Riley. I'm not sure what these 'experts' are seeing but for me Riley Knight is a fair bit ahead of Gullacci. Gallucci was given opportunities due to injuries last year but he wasn't that good and I don't rate him as a walk up best 22 yet. Riley Knight brings some mongrel and is a bit of barometer. He's fringe 22 like Atkins but in my view best 22, and certainly ahead of Gallucci.
This is a breakout year for Gooch. They probably play him ahead of Fog (too many talls in the forward line) and maybe even Dougie.
I hope it's a breakout year for Knight too...

Fox Sports' best 22

Its a fair point on Gallucci. Hasn't done enough to yet. But neither has Riley. Gooch came along nicely last season and got better with more games. Head to head on last season Riley is ahead in most stats as expected. But interestingly the Gooch was ahead of Riley on metres gained 269.5m to 186m.

I hope we use him as a defensive mid, but with 4 quality mids + Greenwood rotating through there I wonder if we will be giving him a good run at it. I think he has struggled to make an impact in other roles. Kicked some clutch goals, but needs to be a player that impacts games every week. Needs to up his game to stay ahead of guys like Gallucci, Jones and Ned.

He's the type of quiet achiever that wins finals; exactly what we need.

I won't ever forget the finals vs the Bulldogs where Tex got it on the wing and kicked it sideways to Cameron to win/ice the game

Who got it to Tex?

Riley "Big Game" Knight.

Fox Sports' best 22

I disagree. Think Gallucci has a higher ceiling and game winning ability - he should play most games this year. Knight has the potential to be a good player, but he’s more of a solid role player

Its a fair point on Gallucci. Hasn't done enough to yet. But neither has Riley. Gooch came along nicely last season and got better with more games. Head to head on last season Riley is ahead in most stats as expected. But interestingly the Gooch was ahead of Riley on metres gained 269.5m to 186m.

I hope we use him as a defensive mid, but with 4 quality mids + Greenwood rotating through there I wonder if we will be giving him a good run at it. I think he has struggled to make an impact in other roles. Kicked some clutch goals, but needs to be a player that impacts games every week. Needs to up his game to stay ahead of guys like Gallucci, Jones and Ned.

hint: Look at Rileys tackle numbers.

Riley is right now, our best defensive small. Defences are built off of them. Equally to that, meters gained is a pretty s**t statistic on it's own.

Gooch has done more offensively in a role that is entirely defined by defensive work. It's a key reason I'm interested in him going to the middle where his offensive game will be of more use.

Right now, Riley is as much of an auto pick as Tex or Sloane is, both due to the importance of what he does, and the rarity of it on our list (which has begun to be rectified). That could change in a year seeing McAdam, McHenry and Jones could all do what Riley does, but they aren't proven yet.

Last edited:
hint: Look at Rileys tackle numbers.

Riley is right now, our best defensive small. Defences are built off of them. Equally to that, meters gained is a pretty s**t statistic on it's own.

Gooch has done more offensively in a role that is entirely defined by defensive work.

Don’t disagree that Riley is well ahead of Gallucci in that area. Gooch adds something different. I don’t think Knight is an effective pressure forward and I probably like Murphy in that role ahead of Gooch anyway.

Riley is a good player, but needs to be more involved. A bit like Greenwood. Both need to find a way to up their contributions in a game. We’ll be a good side when players like these two can be more consistent over 4 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a breakout year for Gooch. They probably play him ahead of Fog (too many talls in the forward line) and maybe even Dougie.
I hope it's a breakout year for Knight too...
Maybe even Dougie? If we aren’t playing Galluci ahead of Douglas we are morons.

I won't ever forget the finals vs the Bulldogs where Tex got it on the wing and kicked it sideways to Cameron to win/ice the game

Who got it to Tex?

Riley "Big Game" Knight.
Yeah good one. I'd forgotten about that one from Knight. Absolute best 22 when fit. Also one of those players I'd tend to give a semi gold card to as well if he didn't hit form immediately. He's the type of player that doesn't need too many touches to have a significant impact.

Don’t disagree that Riley is well ahead of Gallucci in that area. Gooch adds something different. I don’t think Knight is an effective pressure forward and I probably like Murphy in that role ahead of Gooch anyway.

Riley is a good player, but needs to be more involved. A bit like Greenwood. Both need to find a way to up their contributions in a game. We’ll be a good side when players like these two can be more consistent over 4 quarters.
It's not Knight v Gallucci as they are both best 22 imo. They play different roles.

It's not Knight v Gallucci as they are both best 22 imo. They play different roles.

Agree they play different roles, but are there spots open? Both are pretty close to best 22, but neither are a lock for mine. Both will get opportunities so it’s up to how they perform. Assuming we have a full list then spots will be hard to come by.

Knight is right now, our most effective pressure forward and it's without contest. 4 tackles per game, 1 inside 50 and a higher tackle count can be inferred as a higher pressure act count. I doubt Knight is an anomaly that the majority of times he gets close to someone, he tackles them. Will he be in a year is another question, but if he's fit all season, he won't be dropped.

I actually disagree, it would be nice that Knight/Greenwood upped their contributions, but whilst the defensive work is there, they don't need to do so to remain valuable, after all, defence is arguably more valuable then offence in a game like AFL, despite being less sexy. That's not to say offence is not valuable, it is, as you need scoring power. You just need a reliable method of controlling the game more, and that's done through defence. Especially for Riley as 4 quarter consistency is just a pipe dream, no small forward who has ever existed (and ever will) is offensively consistent quarter to quarter. It is simply impossible, as it is for every position that isn't in the midfield. Game to game consistency offensively is only reserved for really the small band of small forwards who are truly elite because it's going against every part of that's position design.

Knight is right now, our most effective pressure forward and it's without contest.

Nope. He isnt. Name one game where he has done that role and done it well.

Edit: https://outline.com/HcP8AD

This is where Knight is at his best for us. Not as a pressure forward. My only question is when we have our top 4 mids + Greenwood all fit and available are we going to sacrifice 80% TOG of one of the 3 midfield slots to Riley to do this job. We don't seem to be willing to do this every week.

Yep time to move on from Dougie and DMac
Imo Dougie still has a role to play, but he will start to transition out of the side & should be one of the older players we manage with more games off.

I disagree. Think Gallucci has a higher ceiling and game winning ability - he should play most games this year. Knight has the potential to be a good player, but he’s more of a solid role player
Knight has the ability to turn a game in 10 minutes. Play him in the forward line and he can kick goals, and quickly.

Nope. He isnt. Name one game where he has done that role and done it well.

Edit: https://outline.com/HcP8AD

This is where Knight is at his best for us. Not as a pressure forward. My only question is when we have our top 4 mids + Greenwood all fit and available are we going to sacrifice 80% TOG of one of the 3 midfield slots to Riley to do this job. We don't seem to be willing to do this every week.
If you have never seen Knight have a good game applying plenty of pressure... you can't of seen many of his games!

Ridiculous comment...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back