Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that this approach could work, however does the modern game of zone defenses allow a Pagan's Paddock type setup? I think opposition coaches are pretty smart these days. We had a similar game plan in 2017 where we were blitzing teams on the counter-attack and were the highest scoring team in the comp. Back half of the season, opposition coaches implemented a plan to stop our scoring and it worked, stopping us in our tracks and making us look at alternative ways of moving the footy.

Whatever the game plan, RT should be using his aerobic capacity to out-work his defender and not try an out-muscle them and force one-on-one contests. I was so surprised to see in round one he had run so far in the game as he seemed to sit idle in the F50 asking for the ball to be lobbed on his head. I don't know how he clocked up so many kms when all he seemed to do was stand in the goal square!
yeah I agree it would be harder to get away with a pagans paddock style set up - but if it was used sporadically and the threat being having players that can kick goals from outside 50 - ie rachele / dawson / Walker / seedsman if he comes back? - it would make the defence more accountable to having to go with their man rather than sweating off in a zone all the time - particularly if we then played through these guys if the defence did zone back on a goal square stationed Thilthorpe

Ahh just spitballing on how to get a set up that will provide maximum hurt factor for opposition to try and defend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key forward Riley Thilthorpe has been cleared of a serious knee injury after he finished Saturday’s SANFL game against Central District on the bench.

Thilthorpe reported discomfort in his knee after a contest in the second quarter and took no further part in the game.

Scans have cleared him of structural damage but he will be assessed in coming days to determine his availability for this weekend.

“He’s had an MRI and pleasingly he’s been cleared of any significant structural damage, so we’re going to give him every opportunity to play and he will be a test this week,” Head of Player Health and Performance Rehabilitation Tim Parham said.

Key forward Riley Thilthorpe has been cleared of a serious knee injury after he finished Saturday’s SANFL game against Central District on the bench.

Thilthorpe reported discomfort in his knee after a contest in the second quarter and took no further part in the game.

Scans have cleared him of structural damage but he will be assessed in coming days to determine his availability for this weekend.

“He’s had an MRI and pleasingly he’s been cleared of any significant structural damage, so we’re going to give him every opportunity to play and he will be a test this week,” Head of Player Health and Performance Rehabilitation Tim Parham said.

That's great news. Maybe give him a week off regardless though.

Great news that it's not serious. I therefore feel it's OK to make light of this, from that tweet...

...after he finished Saturday's @SANFL game on crutches

I just think it's great that we have a young player who can finish the game on crutches. Talk about playing through pain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back