Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Field & Combined events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

What would be even more terrific is if like even 1/10th of the stadium could be filled with local fans..
Was lucky to be 50% full when the women's 400m - main event of the night was run.
Enjoy the games South America, it's going to be a LOOOONG time before any of them see another Olympics.

What would be even more terrific is if like even 1/10th of the stadium could be filled with local fans..
Was lucky to be 50% full when the women's 400m - main event of the night was run.
Enjoy the games South America, it's going to be a LOOOONG time before any of them see another Olympics.

I will be very surprised if they get the Olympics again.. Like you said, a very long time

To completely boo a guy getting ready to do his vault. Ridiculous. A disgraceful nation, absolutely no respect for anyone. Pathetic
Different culture. U just have to see a football match to see that. They do anything to help their man win. Anything.

Not saying it was right but it's one part of a south American Olympics. U only have to look at the fights in the tennis between Argentina and Brazilians fans or the ending stages of Murray v del Porto where some got kicked out of the stadium.

I am more surprised that it took so long tbh. They aren't used to bug athletic events

PS, great commentating. Big boy pole all the way

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Different culture. U just have to see a football match to see that. They do anything to help their man win. Anything.

Not saying it was right but it's one part of a south American Olympics. U only have to look at the fights in the tennis between Argentina and Brazilians fans or the ending stages of Murray v del Porto where some got kicked out of the stadium.

I am more surprised that it took so long tbh. They aren't used to bug athletic events

PS, great commentating. Big boy pole all the way

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
They were dreadful sports at the men's gymnastics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was incredibly disappointing. Womens 400m run with empty seats everywhere. So bad.

Highlight of the night for me. Renaud Lavillenie had a great night clearing the 4 or 5 heights up to and including 5.98 on his first jump at each of tose heights. His first 2 cracks at 6.03 were fantastic height wise and he cleared them easily but set the poles/bar back to far and collected them on the way down.

For a 22 year old to beat his PB by 10cm, at the Olympics, at home, and to beat one of the greatest ever in the sports is - A win for the ages.

And a great interview by Paddy ans Steve Hooker despite his limited English. diegodcg what is the reaction like in Brazil??

Another great night of track and field with so many firsts. I will put the field ones in here. The field has almost surpassed the track events IMO which is very rare for me to see. As posted above Thiago Braz da Silva's pole vault win, is a win for the ages. So the first's of the evening

Hammer Throw
Polish thrower and big girl, BT would get excited, Anita Wlodarczyk threw world record, 3rd of the meet so far and she became the first woman to throw beyond 80 metres three times in the same competition. Great Britain’s fantastic Olympics continues with their first ever women’s hammer medal at a senior global championships.

Pole Vault - da Silva wins da Gold
Thiago Braz da Silva's is Brazil's first athletics medal at this Olympics, the first ever Brazilian to get a medal in the pole vault, the first time 6 metres has been cleared in the Olympics, the first Brazilian athletics gold medal since the great Joaquim Cruz ( who walked out the Olympic flag with 5 others in the opening ceremony) won the 1984 LA Olympics 800m beating a very big odds on favourite Seb Coe. I remember watching the race in disbelief that Coe lost as Joaquim Cruz blitzed him in 1984

Heats
Men's Triple Jump
Put down your glass, the boys girls over at TFN were right Christopher Taylor will give the world record a crack. He glided in with his first jump for an auto qualifyer at 17.24.

Women's Discuss
Started in atrocious conditions. 5 of the first 6 throwers put the discuss into the net. They were right to stop it after one round because the B group started about 2 hours after the A group did and it would be fair for one group to throw in the rain and the other when dry. Dani Samuels did a safe throw first one back and a ripper 64.Xm auto qualifyer. The Croatian Sandra Perkovic leads the discus world top list this year with a 70.88m and is favourite to win her second gold and she threw a 64.81 but was in the same group as Samuels and stuffed up her 2nd throw and didnt record a time. But it will be a very open field and anyone could take the minor medals inc Samuels. Good thing is its an early turn around and starts at just after midnight EST.

Amazing commentary from Hooker and Culbert on the pole vault. That's the kind of enthusiasm and knowledge that should have been at the pool.

Amazing commentary from Hooker and Culbert on the pole vault. That's the kind of enthusiasm and knowledge that should have been at the pool.

their commentary was awesome especially towards the end,capturing the emotion and intensity of the competition. that pole vault final was one of the great moments in this Olympics.

Hooker has been great

The field events have been brilliant and most have gone right down to the wire

Heptahlon - the winning time difference was effectively 2 seconds in the 800m between Gold and Silver between Thiam and EnnisHill

Women's Shot put - won on last throw of the comp by Carter over kiwi Valerie Adams who always comes and competes on the Oz track series

Men's Discuss - Christopher Harting won on his last throw and succeeded his brother Robert who won in London. Robert in famous for screaming at about 150 decibels, ripping his shirt off and doing a lap of honour and if there are hurdles out, hurdling them. Younger brother was more sane than Robert.

Men's Long Jump - final jump by Henerson which was the 2nd or 3rd last of the comp, puts him in the lead by 1cm but the last jump by Lawson looked like it won but an official brilliantly picked up a scrapping of his hand in the sand.

Men's Pole Vault was as dramatic as they come and won on 2nd last jump.

Women's Triple jump - Ibarguen showed her class and dominated it.

Women's Hammer throw - Poland's Anita Wlodarczyk dominated it and broke a world record. Cant do much more than that. only women to ever put in 3 throws over 80m and a 4th went close at 79.60.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back