Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Field & Combined events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't catch a break the Aussies, how many 4th, 5th finishes now?
Ch 7 can't be bothered showing the last throwers live
They have to show that Home & Away ad for the 24663rd time. You know, just in case nobody had seen it yet.

They'll find a way to show that dessert show ad in the next few minutes too.

Disgusting behaviour from the Brazilian crowd booing the Frenchman again at the pole vault medal ceremony. Booing in the heat of the moment is poor form, but you can at least understand it. Booing the next day when he receives his medal is shameful. Show some respect he's an Olympic champion. Dickhead fans soured one of the best moments of the games.

Disgusting behaviour from the Brazilian crowd booing the Frenchman again at the pole vault medal ceremony. Booing in the heat of the moment is poor form, but you can at least understand it. Booing the next day when he receives his medal is shameful. Show some respect he's an Olympic champion. Dickhead fans soured one of the best moments of the games.
he did compare the incident to Jesse Owens in Nazi Germay...probably not the best way to make friends.

Brooke Stratton through to the final of the long jump.

Needs to stop jumping from 20cm in front of the line!

Yeah, but at least she made the final and can definitely improve. Unlike old mate Fabrice, who fouled and then told everyone he had thrown away gold (despite not having jumped anything in the past 5-6 years that would have seen him even medal, let alone get gold).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Croatian discuss throw Sandra Perkovic who won the gold and was a raging favourite only made 2 legal throws in her 9 throw, 3 in the qualifying round which went X - in the pouring rain like everyone else, X and then 64.81m with the auto qualifyer being 62.00m.

In the final she went X, X, 69.21 ( if she didn't get a decent throw in she wouldn't stay in the comp), X, X, X. I think the 5th one she threw it but it was poor so she step over the line for it not to be recorded. See series at
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...-5771/results/women/discus-throw/final/series

Dani Samuels has been in ok to good form rather than great form in Europe. But because she is such a talent she just has to get a couple of good throws in and she will be in their with a chance to medal at a major meet. This one slipped away and an Olympic medal is the only one she doesn't have in her collection.

I enjoyed the high jump. The 3 medalists were the ones I expected to medal but you are always a chance to see a stuff up in high jump, a bit like the pole vault. Track and Field News predicted would win but in different order as per their list in my OP. Bondarenko of the Ukraine is a bit of a nutter and on his day can do anything. Starc jumped poorly, was hoping he would jump 2.30ish tonight.

Pissed off they didnt show a bit more of the triple jump. Yank Christan Taylor's first was a cracker and I though he might improve it and push for Jonathan Edward's 1995 WR which a few people over at TFN tipped. But that was his best jump for the night and also his best jump for the season, and silver medalist Claye of US and bronze medalists Dong of China jumped PB's with their first round jump and didnt improve on it in their next 5 jumps.

Kim Mickle was brave to go out there and throw her javelin. Her first throw looked painfull but it was still got 22nd placed, but every throw produced more pain and her dislocation looked shocking. Looks like all that surgery and rrehab she did was undone in those 3 throws. Good to see Kath Mitchell get through to the final but once again hasn't been in her greatest form in Europe.

Brooke Stratton got thru and if she actually hits the board with only 2cm to spare and not 20cms she will push for bronze. Reese from US has it in the bag, with only the Serbian Spanovic to push her. Once again another Aussie field athlete has been below their best in the European season compared to their domestic season, with Chelsa Jaensch having to battle injury. She jumped a 6.70 earlier in the year, March I think and if she had of been jumping that lately she would have qualified.

Good to se Alana Boyd go thru to the Pole Vault final with 2 clear jumps at 4.45 and 4.55. If she finally jumps to her potential and her best in a big meet she could pinch a minor medal.

Decathlon starts today in the morning session Rio time so tonight early around 9.30pm our time.

serious question for the high jumping experts

why do they throw in a few prancing steps early on in the run up?
supposedly its all about trying to get rhythm and acceleration combo right.

The Croatian discuss throw Sandra Perkovic who won the gold and was a raging favourite only made 2 legal throws in her 9 throw, 3 in the qualifying round which went X - in the pouring rain like everyone else, X and then 64.81m with the auto qualifyer being 62.00m.

In the final she went X, X, 69.21 ( if she didn't get a decent throw in she wouldn't stay in the comp), X, X, X. I think the 5th one she threw it but it was poor so she step over the line for it not to be recorded.

I watched most of the discus, at least what the NBC track and field stream showed. Her 5th throw in the final was perhaps longer (looked over 70m) than her winning throw, but she accidentally stepped over the line.

As for the Australians ... We seem to have some half decent women in the field events. Capable of making the final, but struggle to medal. I think they could put more funding into the female field athletes, I think it's an area where medals could be won. It doesn't seem an area of strength for big money countries like GB and USA.

Media talking about the booing this morning.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/olympi...s/news-story/480014cd202f33218db851ce35806d50

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Awesome long jump final. Gold and silver separated by 2 cm. The silver jump came from 9 cm further back, if I was paying attention properly.

Stratton did well to survive the cut and finish 7th, she wasn't in the same league as the leaders.

Decent effort in the Long Jump final by Brooke Stratton to get 7th. I tipped Reese to win easily but she lost by 1cm to country women Tianna Bartoletta, who finished 2nd at the Olympic trials to Reese by 30cms and also finished 2nd in the 100m at the trials, but didnt make the 100m finals in Rio running about 0.20 less than what she ran at US trials and finished 9th in the 100m. She looked like a 100m runner on the runaway approach. Reese did a huge foul jump early on and the one she landed to get the silver was about 12cm back on the board.

Young 21 year old Aussie Cedric Dubler had a good 4 out of 5 events in the Decathlon today. I can't remember the last sportsman called Cedric. Its a very old fashioned name for a young bloke. Long time since we have had a decathlete at Olympics and even world championships. He set his PB total of 8114 in Sydney meet on 31 March and 1st April to qualify for Rio.

100m.......... 10.86 - 10.71 is his PB 31 March 2016
Long Jump.... 7.47 - 7.74 is his PB July 2014
Shot Put.......11.49 - 12.30 is his PB Jan 2016
High Jump..... 2.13 - 2.15 is his PB 31March 2016
400m...... 48.16 is a PB

He 12th is sitting on 4219 pts and 5th is 4419 pt and the points margin between 7th and 12th is about 20 points per place, then 70pts between 7th and 6th and then 20 between 5th and 6th. If he had thrown the shot put at his PB distance, his weakest event, he needs to find 2.5~3 metres on his PB to be a serious medal chance in the future, and matched his long jump pb, he would be 7th, but close to 6th.

Cedric is another one of the young athletes that has done well at world junior champs and world youth champs over the last 2 or 3 editions - they are both held ever 2 years, in the even and odd years respectively, that Athletics Australia have invested in and starting to perform well against the men and the women.

Its a battle in 4 for the mdals given form this year. Defending Olympic and World Champion Ashton Eaton will be hard to beat and is on WR pace. He has stated he wants to break his WR in Rio. In Beijing last year after 5 events he was on 4703 pts. His 100m of 10.46 was slow for him and earned him 985pt compared to last years 10.23 and 1040 pts

1 Ashton EATON... USA 4621
2 Kai KAZMIREK.. GER 4500
3 Damian WARNER CAN 4489
4 Kevin MAYER...... FRA 4435
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o.../men/decathlon/400-metres/points#resultheader

Last edited:
Ok a WR might be out of the question for Eaton in the Decathlon. But this article from the IAAF sit says an OR is in play.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ws/day-seven-athletics-rio-2016-olympic-games
ANOTHER DECATHLON RECORD IN EATON’S SIGHTS
The remaining five events of the decathlon start with the 110m hurdles at 09:30. Defending champion and world record-holder Ashton Eaton leads after a solid first day in which he amassed 4621 points.

The 121-point cushion that gives him over second place Kai Kazmirek, who posted personal bests in the long jump and 400m on day one, is not as healthy as he might have expected, but the US superstar has the class to see it out. In fact, if he hits his season’s bests, he is on course to break the Olympic record.

It would take a special day for a challenger to catch Eaton. Damian Warner enjoyed a strong first day and sits third. Kevin Mayer is also flying after three personal bests. Carry that form through day two and the Frenchman could be in the mix for a medal.

After the hurdles, discus is at 10:25, pole vault at 13:25, javelin at 18:35 before the 1500m finishes the 10-event challenge at 21:45.
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ws/day-seven-athletics-rio-2016-olympic-games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back