Summer RIO 2016 - Ch7 Olympic Coverage Discussion Thread (All Complaints Here)

Remove this Banner Ad

from: http://indaily.com.au/sport/2016/06...pic-coverage-signal-the-end-of-free-tv-sport/

Interesting read, I didnt know the details relating to ch7 buying the Olympic rights and restricting other broadcasters from using their coverage.

I know people were contacting the ABC and asking why they weren't showing more highlights on their news etc. but they were very limited in what they could show and had to resort to still shots for a lot of their reports. I can understand one network having exclusive rites but not allowing others TV channels to show a reasonable amount of highlights as part of their news service is just downright petty. Whole thing needs a shake-up. Not too keen on Foxtel getting it though as only about 1/3 of households have pay TV.

I can understand one network having exclusive rites but not allowing others TV channels to show a reasonable amount of highlights as part of their news service is just downright petty.

That's not a Channel 7 decision but an IOC one as part of the rights agreement for all deals that goes back as long as I remember.

Its known as the 3 by 3 rule. The IOC only allow non-rights holders to show 3 minutes worth of highlights 3 times a day for news purposes. In the past non rights holders showed clips from non Olympic lead up events like the swimming trials to pad out their bulletins. 24 hour news channels repeat bulletins so they don't bother showing highlights anymore.

Online has become a grey area

I connected to a VPN and just used the BBC website. They were streaming almost every event in HD online and weren't charging a cent. Plus the BBC iPlayer was very reliable, allowed you to rewind and go back, and even had time stamps for certain events (usually when a Brittish Athlete was about to go). Even the pro english commentary was better than Basil

That's not a Channel 7 decision but an IOC one as part of the rights agreement for all deals that goes back as long as I remember.

Its known as the 3 by 3 rule. The IOC only allow non-rights holders to show 3 minutes worth of highlights 3 times a day for news purposes. In the past non rights holders showed clips from non Olympic lead up events like the swimming trials to pad out their bulletins. 24 hour news channels repeat bulletins so they don't bother showing highlights anymore.

It's actually a channel 7 thing I think. Basically you have to get permission from them.. and they won't let you use it for comedic value.

It's actually a channel 7 thing I think. Basically you have to get permission from them.. and they won't let you use it for comedic value.

Nope. Its the IOC who control it with an iron fist. They even have restrictions on what 7 can show after the fact as a rights holder.

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/...n/ioc_news_access_rules_rio_2016_en_final.pdf

II. TELEVISION NEWS ACCESS RULES

All use of Olympic Material by Non-RHBs on Television is strictly subject to the following restrictions:
  1. Use in News Programs only: The broadcast of Olympic Material shall be restricted to News Programs. News Programs shall not be positioned or promoted as Olympic or Games programs and Olympic Material cannot be used in any promotion for any News Program or any other program whatsoever.

2. Six Minutes per Day: Non-RHBs may use a maximum of six (6) minutes of Olympic Material per day, in accordance with all other provisions of these NARs.

3. Number of News Programs, Length and Separation of News Excerpts (3x2x3): Subject to Clauses 1 and 2 above, Olympic Material may be used in News Programs subject to the following provisions:
a) Olympic Material may appear in no more than three (3) News Programs per day; and

b) No more than two (2) minutes of Olympic Material may be used in any one News Program; and

c) These News Programs must be separated by a period of at least three (3) hours; and

d) No more than one third of any individual Olympic Event may be used in any one News Programs or 30 seconds, whichever is the lesser time. However, if the duration of an individual Olympic Event is less than 15 seconds the whole of the event can be shown in a News Program.

Whoever's decision it is I still think it's petty and counterproductive.

all olympics we had nothing but ads for this zumbas just desserts

geez its a shithouse show

What the hell are you doing?

I thought we all agreed to not watch any of their shows???

Flicked on the TV as I got home and it was still on 7. They had a count down clock to Zumbo. Not even kidding.
My wife flicked it on, so I'm watching it. It's pretty terrible. It'll get axed or moved off prime time before the end I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Olympics are over and I'm still complaining. Could they not have shown the closing ceremony at like 7:30? Like the Olympics have just finished, and I think lots would have been interested in watching given so many would've been at work when it was on. Instead they chuck it on at 10pm, concluding at 1. Thanks guys, strong coverage to the very end.

Olympics are over and I'm still complaining. Could they not have shown the closing ceremony at like 7:30? Like the Olympics have just finished, and I think lots would have been interested in watching given so many would've been at work when it was on. Instead they chuck it on at 10pm, concluding at 1. Thanks guys, strong coverage to the very end.
Or at least throw it on 7Two or 7Mate
Did Channel 7 ever explain why they didnt put any olympics on that new movie channel that nobody watches?

Zumbo was on at 730

yeah queer. and no Rio today as well. could have shown highlights of the boomers and such. even if it was not on the main channel.

in saying that, this closing ceremony is taking forever. how long does it take to get the athletes into the damm venue.

The Channel 7 coverage was an honest effort to do a comprehensive job of showcasing the Olympics across their three channels.

Obviously they had to restrict some content in order to sell their app for $20 to make it worthwhile for the cost.

The app having so many issues was a real issue for making it worthwhile to purchase.

Personally, I found Channel 7 pretty good based on my average level of expectation. I was able to stream the app on my phone and watch it whilst walking or on public transport and you could stream the Olympics live on the Plus 7 website, which was awesome when at work.

The athletics coverage was easily my favourite.

Their coverage ate Channel 9's from the 2012 Olympics alive, which was deplorable.

As far as my gripes with them, here are my top 5:

5. Showing ad's during the last 30 minutes of the marathon. Not a quick break like between footy goals but full length advertising breaks.

4. Highlights programs (i.e. afternoon and evening) basically repeating everything that was shown during the day across Channel Seven's three channels. Would have been so easy to cover other sports that got minimal coverage and provide a broader level of exposure to the sports in the games.

3. Rowing and canoeing commentary. Drew Ginn's ridiculous level of cheerleading almost made me want to support any country than Australia.

2. News desk with Amanda Abbate being shown in the middle of live action, which generally related to highlights from the previous day.

1. Swimming commentary. Terrible duo in Basil Zempilas and Giaan Rooney. Basil had a few moments where he did good and has a decent voice for calling action but sounds quite predictable and regularly missed calling key moments within races when focusing on the Aussies. Giaan provided a level of ex-swimmer insight but is an incessant cheerleader and the two of them together are too Aussie centric and rarely provide knowledge and a sense of appreciation for the level of overseas competition. But, I'd take them two over Ray Hadley.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see what commentators and which ch7 identities (if any) are used for the Paraolympics?
All coverage will be on 7two

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Be interesting to see what commentators and which ch7 identities (if any) are used for the Paraolympics?
All coverage will be on 7two

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I think they will use disabled commentators
e7a8136ca6b9af75901dce4fe1f3aef1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back