Aussies RIO 2016 - Field Hockey - 6th to 19th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm always concerned how the fortunes of both our men's and women's teams dipped after the departure of Dr Ric Charlesworth. It makes me worry about the systems we have in place.

Just saw results for GER vs NZ quarter final. NZ up 2-0 with 5 minutes to go. GER score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes with 2 in the final minute (one of which I assume was a short corner after the whistle) to win 3-2. Shattering for NZ.
If you haven't watched it yet, make sure you do. Just watch the last quarter, it's one of the most amazing finishes to a game you'll ever see.

Would love to know what's happened. There's been a lot of disappointment in these games, but the Kookaburras rank above the rest. Total and utter letdown. Was so pumped for their run for gold.

They've been so busy scoring obscene amounts of goals in other tournaments. It's just all fallen apart here.

This might seem reactionary but Adam Commens has had 5 years at the helm, and doesn't seem to be really helping them move forward. Questions need to be asked after these disasterous Olympics.
Can't remember what their ranking was when he took over, but he has taken them up to #3. And got a World Cup silver. He is moving on after the Olympics anyway.

Serves them right for leaving their best player out, the coach should be out the door for that alone.

The girls tried hard but they left their only really top line player out, so really this was expected.

The men were worse.

On the men's: I'm not sure I can recall a team in any sport performing so poorly over an extended tournament (six matches) after going in with such good form over the last four years. It can happen that teams can be off on the day but to be so continually poor is just baffling. This is a worse result than the swimmers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the men's: I'm not sure I can recall a team in any sport performing so poorly over an extended tournament (six matches) after going in with such good form over the last four years. It can happen that teams can be off on the day but to be so continually poor is just baffling.

Yup, reminds of the Wallabies at the '95 World Cup.

she was lucky to be considered.. covering up a dui

So what! It was dealt with off field. We just gave up any chance we had at winning a medal leaving her out. Off field is exactly that, off field. It should be left there. Punish her after the Olympics.

Each to their own but that is my view.

So what! It was dealt with off field. We just gave up any chance we had at winning a medal leaving her out. Off field is exactly that, off field. It should be left there. Punish her after the Olympics.

Each to their own but that is my view.

Say that to diamond and darcey. Can't pick and choose when to punish and ignore

Say that to diamond and darcey. Can't pick and choose when to punish and ignore

I would have picked them too. As long as it isn't drug related (ie PED's). I feel we hamstrung ourselves and frankly the coach made a howler. You don't punish the whole team and for that matter a whole country for a relatively minor (albeit pretty silly) off field issue. What matters is on field.

I would have picked them too. As long as it isn't drug related (ie PED's). I feel we hamstrung ourselves and frankly the coach made a howler. You don't punish the whole team and for that matter a whole country for a relatively minor (albeit pretty silly) off field issue. What matters is on field.
You'd pick darcey even though he punched a fellow swimmer out?

You'd pick darcey even though he punched a fellow swimmer out?

As long as he qualified in his rightful place yes. I don't see why we need to hamstring our sides by taking the moral side. Not as if the hockey player was that bad anyway. Darcy is the top of the extreme cases. A dui whilst stupid is a minor thing in the scheme of things. She apologised, she was dealt with in court. That should be where it ended. Instead we hamstring our hockey side and we get flogged

As long as he qualified in his rightful place yes. I don't see why we need to hamstring our sides by taking the moral side. Not as if the hockey player was that bad anyway. Darcy is the top of the extreme cases. A dui whilst stupid is a minor thing in the scheme of things. She apologised, she was dealt with in court. That should be where it ended. Instead we hamstring our hockey side and we get flogged

very minor that is the leading causes of death on the roads these days. what the teams chances shouldn't dictate whether athlete should compete in the olympice

very minor that is the leading causes of death on the roads these days. what the teams chances shouldn't dictate whether athlete should compete in the olympice

It was dealt with off the field. This moral high ground has helped us so well this Olympics...

We won't agree, lets just agree to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back